Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Luxalas
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jan 2024, 11:49 pm

I remember how big it was with the LGBT community when it premiered and has been on my list to watch. I don't watch TV or anime like I used to - or read books - since I have a hard time sitting through them now. It's mostly just video games that can hold my attention.

A friend of mine recently mentioned they were watching She-Ra, so I took a chance and watched it on my phone since I'm currently without electricity this week.

• I thought it was cool that Entrapta was written as autistic. Regardless if someone agrees or disagrees with how she's written, it's still nice to see autism be included in a show and it not be a show.
  • There was a nonbinary character! Even if they weren't a favorite of mine, I enjoyed their character. The other characters using the usage of "they" smoothly in conversation was great.
  • The romances seemed to be rushed in the last season considering the show didn't really focus on any romantic interactions between anyone in the previous seasons, but it was still cute nonetheless. <3
  • The characters are complex. How they handled the antagonists and the hurt they caused was great. Lots of lessons on friendship and how much work it is.
  • Ultimately, I don't think I've ever seen a cartoon with so much love and queer representation without the character's identities having to be explained. It was seen as normal and they (the characters) continued with the story.

I binged the show in a few days and now I'm just like "great, what do I watch now?" The only recommendation that I was aware of for LGBT rep was The Owl House. I began watching the first 3 episodes, but I can't really get into it. I'm not sure if it's because of the major art style shift, the slow start, the maturity difference between She-Ra and The Owl House, or if She-Ra just set a standard for me. Lol

Any animation you recommend that's lgbt focused? I'll continue to give The Owl House a try.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 3:02 am

Nice when ..the media peopl actually use true to life characters...helps stuff feel more believable 8O

where ever you go ,there you are

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 11:36 pm

Nimona on Netflix is really good too. It's a movie, not a show, but the story and art in the original graphic novel it's based on were created by N.D Stevenson, a non-binary and transmasculine person who was also the executive producer of She Ra.

Stevenson also makes an autobiographical webcomic: https://www.imfineimfine.com/

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 12:33 am

Fern wrote:
Nimona on Netflix is really good too. It's a movie, not a show, but the story and art in the original graphic novel it's based on were created by N.D Stevenson, a non-binary and transmasculine person who was also the executive producer of She Ra.

Stevenson also makes an autobiographical webcomic: https://www.imfineimfine.com/

Thank you for the link, that was a very interesting piece of work.. seeing the inception of Nimona . :D

where ever you go ,there you are

Luxalas
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jan 2024, 6:06 pm

Fern wrote:

I'll add this to the list! I've heard about that one, but haven't looked into it and don't know too much about it. Thank you so much! And I very much relate to that identity myself :mrgreen: Thank you for the link, I will check it out. Rabbit hole time :jester:

Luxalas
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jan 2024, 6:07 pm

Ahh I also realized today that this forum category is for age/gender related. I thought it was solely for LGBT discussion since I didn't see any other related topic, but I guess it belongs in "Television, Film, and Video" instead. Tired, cold, brain.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 1:02 pm

I'm glad you both liked it. I became a little obsessed! XD

Luxalas wrote:
Ahh I also realized today that this forum category is for age/gender related. I thought it was solely for LGBT discussion since I didn't see any other related topic, but I guess it belongs in "Television, Film, and Video" instead. Tired, cold, brain.

This sub-forum is for LGBT+ discussion. There is a separate one for TV and other media. They are just organized in the same categorical grouping for ease of navigating on the main forum page.

silverlinings1069
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2024, 7:43 pm

Wait...did they redo She-Ra? I watched the cartoon 40ish years ago. Along with He-Man. lol Where did you watch it?

Luxalas
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jan 2024, 1:07 am

silverlinings1069 wrote:
Wait...did they redo She-Ra? I watched the cartoon 40ish years ago. Along with He-Man. lol Where did you watch it?

Yep! A reboot in 2018. All 5 seasons are on Netflix. I didn't watch too much of the 80s cartoon, but I know some things are different like Adora and Sea Hawk are not a thing in the reboot. He's also bi. I think a good chunk of the characters are queer.

The shows great and ends well. It can be very lighthearted, but there's a lot of intense, darker moments as well with a lot of important messages. Not just situations, but in the character's actions themselves.

A personal favorite quote: "It's not easy being the friendly and upbeat guy all the time. And I get that it's hard being friends sometimes, but you gotta work at it. So why am I always the only one who's willing to work at it?"

I don't recall ever hearing something like that being said in older cartoons. Not even in 2000s cartoons. :o

Luxalas
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jan 2024, 1:12 am

Fern wrote:
I'm glad you both liked it. I became a little obsessed! XD

Luxalas wrote:

This sub-forum is for LGBT+ discussion. There is a separate one for TV and other media. They are just organized in the same categorical grouping for ease of navigating on the main forum page.

Heheee I'm feeling a little obsessed myself~ I might have to re-watch She-Ra again. It's just that good. sigh

And ahh ok. Thank you. I guess I was understanding it differently. But that makes sense! I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I'm glad it's in the right spot. :oops: :lol:

silverlinings1069
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2024, 8:52 am

Luxalas wrote:
silverlinings1069 wrote:

Yep! A reboot in 2018. All 5 seasons are on Netflix. I didn't watch too much of the 80s cartoon, but I know some things are different like Adora and Sea Hawk are not a thing in the reboot. He's also bi. I think a good chunk of the characters are queer.

The shows great and ends well. It can be very lighthearted, but there's a lot of intense, darker moments as well with a lot of important messages. Not just situations, but in the character's actions themselves.

A personal favorite quote: "It's not easy being the friendly and upbeat guy all the time. And I get that it's hard being friends sometimes, but you gotta work at it. So why am I always the only one who's willing to work at it?"

I don't recall ever hearing something like that being said in older cartoons. Not even in 2000s cartoons. :o

Awesome. Something new I can add to watch - finally! Thank you.

ElmersTrueLove
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Mar 2024, 11:37 am

Opinion respected (I despise it, don't ask)

I want to get the DVD of the G3 Monster High even though it's bashed a lot but it's sold out

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+