Question about better alternative name for IDD

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 9:56 pm

Should Intellectual Developmental Disorders or Disorders of intellectual development be renamed to General Developmental Disorder? Because Intellectual Developmental Disorders or Disorders of intellectual development is like saying R-words. Thoughts?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 9:59 pm

If Intellectual Developmental Disorders or Disorders of intellectual development are like saying the r-word, it's because the euphemism treadmill marched on. Whatever new term you invent will be subject to the same process.

Ultimately the r-word is only offensive to some because of it's history as medical jargon. Otherwise, it'd just be a technical term for being slowed.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 10:02 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
If Intellectual Developmental Disorders or Disorders of intellectual development are like saying the r-word, it's because the euphemism treadmill marched on. Whatever new term you invent will be subject to the same process.

Ultimately the r-word is only offensive to some because of it's history as medical jargon. Otherwise, it'd just be a technical term for being slowed.

That makes sense. I was asking if there can be a better alternative name for it, I am sorry!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 10:05 pm

On the contrary.

Everyone knows that "Intellectual blah blah blah" means "ret*d".

So lets just go back to calling it "ret*d".

ret*d itself is a fancy French word meaning "delayed" that was itself a euphemism for "imbecile" and "moron" (those words were actually used a medical labels in the pre war era).

Not sayiing we should go back THAT far and use THOSE words.

But there was nothing wrong with "ret*d". So why not use the word?

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 10:06 pm

Because it's offensive to some people, and in context of how the word can be used as well.

Last edited by FranzOren on 14 Jan 2024, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 10:07 pm

FranzOren wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

That makes sense. I was asking if there can be a better alternative name for it, I am sorry!

No need to be sorry, it's a good question.

It's worthwhile to unpack why the word is offensive and if replacing the jargon every generation or so is worthwhile or a waste of effort.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 10:10 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
On the contrary.

Everyone knows that "Intellectual blah blah blah" means "ret*d".

So lets just go back to calling it "ret*d".

ret*d itself is a fancy French word meaning "delayed" that was itself a euphemism for "imbecile" and "moron" (those words were actually used a medical labels in the pre war era).

Not sayiing we should go back THAT far and use THOSE words.

But there was nothing wrong with "ret*d". So why not use the word?

It's good to point this out.

Mentally retarded-ed replaced terms that were viewed as insulting but had originally been jargon. Mentally ret*d came to be seen as insulting and was replaced. We're now talking about what to replace the replacements with.

Perhaps we can just turn the treadmill off for awhile because it's not actually accomplishing much besides helping young bullies expand their vocabularies.

Sorry CF, but the filter needs to understand the difference between —tard and —tarded.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Last edited by funeralxempire on 14 Jan 2024, 10:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 10:10 pm

That makes sense. The best thing we can do is try and educate people how to use the words correctly and to reduce stigma overtime.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 10:13 pm

FranzOren wrote:
That makes sense. The best thing we can do is try and educate people how to use the words correctly and to reduce stigma overtime.

Exactly, the problem isn't the noise the person makes, it's the attitude they hold. As long as people hold negative attitudes towards certain segments of the population, whatever word is assigned to those people will end up being seen (and used) as an insult.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 10:16 pm

That makes sense. I feel more informed about it now, thanks!

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 3:02 am

The word r***** as an insult only gets used on non ID people.

For example a driver deliberately goes through a red light and nearly causes an accident. The other drivers get angry and shout out f***ing r*****

They don’t actually think when they say that that the driver is actually ID just that he’s grossly stupid and did an unintelligent thing.

An analogy would be a mean girl that calls another girl a tramp because she didn’t make a lot of effort with her appearance.

She doesn’t really think she’s living on the streets just used as an insult.

In reality real ID people and those living on the streets tend to be pitted or ignored rather than insulted these days.

- George Bernie Shaw

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 4:29 am

carlos55 wrote:

An analogy would be a mean girl that calls another girl a tramp because she didn’t make a lot of effort with her appearance.

In reality real ID people and those living on the streets tend to be pitted or ignored rather than insulted these days.

OMG!

Like many autistics you have...A LOT to learn!

During the Great Depression ...when a male person was called a "tramp" it meant more or less the same thing as "hobo"...a homeless adventurer who "road the rails" copped free rides on box cars in freight trains traveling around the nation looking for work. Dressed in rags...cooking canned beans at campfires...fleeing "railroad cops" etc.

Its still meant that in the Sixties...then it gradually merged with "bum" to mean any homeless man.

When a woman is called a "tramp" (especially by another female) it has a WHOLE different meaning.

A female "tramp" can be well dressed.

When you call a female a "tramp' you are calling her a "slut". Or a 'loose woman' , or worse.

It does NOT mean she has patches on her pants, and rides in box cars. :lol:

Nothin' to do with that.

For your own survival PLEASE learn that!

A girl chiding her female roomate the way you're taking about is probably criticizing for "going own on the first date" or having too many boyfriends, or like that.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 4:47 am

There isn't.

"Global Developmental Delay" is technical enough, though not entirely accurate.

Anything else?
Especially when the label has a term 'Intellectual X' in it? (unless the condition is called Intellectual Giftedness, which is the complete opposite of)

No. I don't think there's any nice way to tell someone who has any intellectual disability a better label than just intellectual disability/delay/whatever as long as the context is in the place of judgment and discrimination, and not a fact; of one's life, of one's own strengths and weaknesses or limitations.

I heard elsewhere there's a phase that says "Bless your heart" -- maybe that can be adapted? :roll:

Hmph.
Who here wants to reclaim the word/s?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 6:53 am

NO!

Autism and similar childhood-onset disabilities ARE GENERAL DEVELOPMENTAL DISORDERS (aka pervasive developmental disorders). You can have extremely high IQ and still be severely debilitated mentally, you still can have severe general developmental disorder! General (pervasive) developmental dsiabilities are not about IQ, they are about unsuitability to harsh world (especially as an adult) and being ""weird"" since pre-adolescent age!

I have an obvious general developmental disorder, but my VIQ is definitely above average. Someone with IQ 55 may be more suitable to adult life (for example in areas like making money and social relationships) than someone with IQ 155 and non-intellectual mental handicaps, like ASD or severe personality disorder. In Poland I have financial benefits due to my disability like social pension and care allowance.

In my case, autism is a kind of non-intellectual mental ""reta**ation"".

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 7:43 am

naturalplastic wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

OMG!

Like many autistics you have...A LOT to learn!

During the Great Depression ...when a male person was called a "tramp" it meant more or less the same thing as "hobo"...a homeless adventurer who "road the rails" copped free rides on box cars in freight trains traveling around the nation looking for work. Dressed in rags...cooking canned beans at campfires...fleeing "railroad cops" etc.

Its still meant that in the Sixties...then it gradually merged with "bum" to mean any homeless man.

When a woman is called a "tramp" (especially by another female) it has a WHOLE different meaning.

A female "tramp" can be well dressed.

When you call a female a "tramp' you are calling her a "slut". Or a 'loose woman' , or worse.

It does NOT mean she has patches on her pants, and rides in box cars. :lol:

Nothin' to do with that.

For your own survival PLEASE learn that!

A girl chiding her female roomate the way you're taking about is probably criticizing for "going own on the first date" or having too many boyfriends, or like that.

There are slight language differences between UK and US.

In UK a tramp still means homeless person or bum in the US. I acknowledge as a man I may be wrong on tramp when it comes to the word used on women.

The main issue here raised is the futility in playing wack a mole games with language.

It is what it is R*** / ID etc.. what’s the point in pretending otherwise when people think it anyway, what a waste of energy.

Better spent helping ID people both in society and biological treatments.

- George Bernie Shaw

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 11:44 am

nca14 wrote:
NO!

Autism and similar childhood-onset disabilities ARE GENERAL DEVELOPMENTAL DISORDERS (aka pervasive developmental disorders). You can have extremely high IQ and still be severely debilitated mentally, you still can have severe general developmental disorder! General (pervasive) developmental dsiabilities are not about IQ, they are about unsuitability to harsh world (especially as an adult) and being ""weird"" since pre-adolescent age!

I have an obvious general developmental disorder, but my VIQ is definitely above average. Someone with IQ 55 may be more suitable to adult life (for example in areas like making money and social relationships) than someone with IQ 155 and non-intellectual mental handicaps, like ASD or severe personality disorder. In Poland I have financial benefits due to my disability like social pension and care allowance.

In my case, autism is a kind of non-intellectual mental ""reta**ation"".

Can you explain it more? It's interesting.