Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 2:41 am

I'm working on a condo renovation in a 3 storey wood frame building. On Saturday, my brother in law and I carried approx 3800lbs of demolition scrap down 3 flights of stairs and loaded it into my truck. 2 jam packed loads plus a 3rd half load.

Some old guy bitched at us in the parking lot for propping the door open (with the rock that is inside the door for propping it open) as we went up and down the stairs carrying things out. Uuuuhh, we are not walking around the building and buzzing every few minutes - we're parked by the door And the stairwell is exeterior.. no hallways, just courtyard walkways. We're in it every few mins, no one else but some old lady and her little dog came in. (she lives there.) Buddy went off for several minutes.. said someone should be watching the door - lol get real; getting rid of garbage isn't a valuable enough job to hire someone to stand at the door. Said the owner could do it - the owner has an infant, that's why he's paying me to get rid of the garbage.

The whole exchange was ridiculous.. like why are you talking to me? Piss off. I was polite enough to him because my client has to live there, but buddy was all asking why my bro inlaw was getting agitated - uuuh, because he has other things to do and you are wasting his time. You're also in his face puffing your chest and I already told you twice you have no reason to approach us. You were 30 feet away now you're 3 feet away. Go away. :roll: We got in the truck and left, he wandered off. When I came back and loaded the last bit I swept out the stairwell and cleaned up a bit of extra garbage in the parking lot.

This evening I was quietly working and someone pounded on the door.. I went and answered it and it was a different old guy screaming and yelling at me for working there and he can hear noise.. I'm thinking what noise ? I made 2 cuts at 3:30pm. I asked him what noise and he got all ragey furious and I told him I'm serious.. I don't even have a radio on - what can you hear? "THE FAN!"

Holy f*****g s**t this guy was raging because there's a fan on blowing air. It was one of those snail shaped ones from Home Depot - the kind restoration companies use to dry out walls after a flood. He flipped s**t that it was on overnight, said it can only be on 9-4 m-f. Uuuuuh, it's a fan.. it's blowing air. I'm happy to show you what I'm working on and what it's for. He says he knows, doesn't care blah blah rage yada yada I kept super calm. In hindsight I should have just told him that the way he was speaking to me was totally inappropriate and if he wanted to come back later and try again he could. He got mad and left. :roll:

Buuuut before he left - the building fire alarm went off.. all kinds of people coming out into the courtyard around 8:25pm. Fire department came. Couple other old guys said the alarm panel said SW corner 3rd floor - basically suggesting that I'm the one that set it off.. I didn't even contest the one old guy that wanted a look inside at all, he was calm and friendly and genuinely interested in fire safety. He toured around, I showed him - no hot work, no fires, no smoke, not even any dust that could have set off an optical smoke sensor as I hadn't sanded anything yet. 2 different groups of firefighters came and toured through the condo - same result, nothing could have set anything off. Heat detector not tripped, optical fire alarms removed by owner during renos.

Called the owner, he's also frustrated.. decided I'd just leave all the heaters on no fans overnight and start them up at 9am and complete what I can tmw to make it ready for painters. Might have to turn over 3/4 of it and then return to finish sanding the last room while they start painting other rooms or something like that.

Just ridiculous the whole thing. I've never had someone b***h about a couple guys quietly taking the stairs and removing garbage. Never had anyone complain about a FAN being on, either.. that's how this works - heaters & fans overnight so I can work the next day. Oh yeah, and on Friday evening some woman came and bitched at the owner because he was receiving a delivery at 7:20pm on a Friday night and she could hear the delivery guy's footsteps in the stairwell while she was trying to sleep.

This is an old condo building in Langley that apparently used to be 55+ only and they recently changed it to allow families - probably to increase their resale value. Apparently Some of the residents tried to change it back to 55+ but that's illegal; you can't go back after the change and families have bought. My client is a young black man (30) with a 30yo wife and newborn baby. These old cranky white people are going to absolutely lose their minds when a baby is crying in the middle of the night.. thank God this guy has patience! But holy F; someone called the cops on him while he was washing his own car at his current condo building. Wtf? A black man can't own a f*****g car ? :? These people haven't said anything racist, but I do wonder what their Actions are going to be.

Anyways, these cranky old f***s deserve to find somewhere else to live IMO. I swear if I ever b***h at people for doing a job.. quietly, not drinking or smoking or playing loud music - nothing - just getting some work done.. just put me out of my misery. Shoot me in the f*****g face for real I would never ever want to be one of these grumpy f*****s.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 11:20 am

Quick hot shower and I'm off to battle these demons lololol. Lord give me strength not to tell these bitchy people off.. my client and has family don't need any more of their BS.

I've been super calm/polite - they raised voices, not me. At most if any of these grumpy old as*holes that exist to complain comes to b***h and yell at me today I'm going cut them off and inform them that it's entirely inappropriate to speak to me the way they are and I won't be conversing with them - have a nice day. *shuts door*

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 12:37 am

I did some quiet work while critical things dried so I could do the next step in the process before I left vs waiting to do it tmw and making things take Another day longer. Long day, success though on the work end of things - in pretty decent shape with ~98% ready for the final step tmw.

I was quietly leaving at 8:45 annnnd the fire alarm went off again. wtf? Fire fighters again. These guys figured out it’s the smoke detector in the stairwell (exterior courtyard stairwell, there are no halls it’s open air.) that went off and it was probably from drywall dust floating through the air. I didn’t even go in the stairwell but maybe someone else did and air moved.

Anyways, gong show. Bitchy old people bitching that I was there passed 4pm. My work is nearly silent, no one would know I was there at all if it weren’t for their smoke alarm - which is beyond my or the condo owners control.

They’re gonna b***h at the owner for sure and be c***s about anyone doing any work after 4pm even if it’s silent. Biggest bunch of whiners I’ve ever seen in one building in my entire life.

Some old lady went and got a hard copy of their bylaws and tried to give it to me and I told her I don’t live here that doesn’t concern me and didn’t take the papers.

A couple others bitched I was there at all/after 4pm blah blah get a life.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 10:21 am

Coffee/breakfast time. It snowed last night so I'll have to clear my car off before I can get out this morning. Then it's off to work. These people are NUTS. I bet some batshit crazy old man stands outside the door at 3:59pm waiting for 4 to tell anyone doing any work there to leave the building. :roll:

Last night I asked one guy if I lived there if I could sweep the floor after 4pm. "Yes." So what's the difference? That's how much noise I'm making. "But it's going up and down the stairwell.." - I wasn't going up and down the stairs, I haven't left - and if I lived here.. it's a stairwell; if I was going out in the evening or at night I would go up and down it. There's no elevator. (Wtf? People aren't allowed to walk in stairwells??? Some crazy old b***h came up to complain that a delivery driver was using the stairwell at SEVEN TWENTY PM on a Friday night!! ! WTF?)

These are the most bitter bunch of old people I've ever encountered. It's like they were all angry losers throughout their lives and ended up living in this building because they can't afford to live anywhere else so they're just angry at the world. It's SO MUCH BETTER working around seniors that are pleasant, might share a story, might be curious about the work being done and want to have a look etc.

On second thought, there's 4+ inches of snow and it's still coming down pretty hard. I don't think I'll bother digging my car out - I'll just take the truck. 4x4 just in case I need it anywhere. 8)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 2:54 pm

lol I arrived and there’s a cleaner cleaning up floors and he has loud rap music playing lololol :heart: :heart: :heart: