I communicate best with writing. But thats a problem.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2024, 2:06 pm

I have found written communication is best for me.
- I can sort confused thoughts into deeper structure
- I can find references
- there is plenty of time

There is a study but I couldn't find it, suggesting that people are less manipulated over text than with voice,
because sneaky people read and interepret your mental state through the extra tone-of-voice information.
This is an important bonus.

However there is a problem with this, because the world is biased against this type of communication.
- many people have no attention span.
- there is a taboo eg to "breakup over text" is considered tacky, same with other "important conversation"
- most power is in "off the record" conversations, in many organisations - noone is going to talk about how bill was embezzling money so we covered it up and put him in another department over email that can be used in court... similarly if you do the autistic thing of talking about the same thing over and over this is blocked and ignored

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 2:23 pm

If you communicate best in writing, than you should when ever possible. While there is a taboo about breaking up over a text message, etc. There is nothing wrong with using a longer form like a letter to do so. Plenty of people must use all sorts of alternative communication. There is nothing wrong with that.

PassingThrough
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2024, 2:35 pm

I'm most comfortable communicating in writing. In most settings, especially a professional setting, that of course has its limits. At work, I push myself to pick up the phone or visit somebody in person when I should, if only to prevent myself from becoming too averse to speaking.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 7:38 pm

I communicate the best through my arts & crafts, especially my art. It's only a problem if you make it a problem. I think it's great that we all communicate differently. If we were all the same, the world would be a boring place to live. If writing is the way you communicate the best, than do so. Do what's right for you and not for other people.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 10:18 pm

I find it easier to communicate in writing if I have to explain something relatively complex, because that way I have time to organize my thoughts and to read over what I wrote and make any clarifications I feel are necessary. I find it very difficult to contribute to a verbal discussion of a complex topic, as in a class discussion. When I was a student I rarely spoke up in class, and when I did I was often misunderstood or dismissed, because I did not make my point clearly.

On the other hand, I think we have all experienced how terrible email communication can be when we're feeling emotional and the topic being discussed brings up emotions, especially anxiety or fear. It's very easy to misunderstand the tone and intention, and to become hurt or offended, or to cause hurt and offense, when it was not intended, and then the misunderstandings can accumulate and it can get worse and worse. In that case it's better to have an in person conversation.

Also, we have all seen how nasty people can be online. That's because not seeing someone face to face makes it a lot easier to not think of their humanity and to say nasty things.

So all in all, as hard as it is, I think in person communication has some important advantages.