What's with the political signatures people have?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 2:46 am

Fnord wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
In all fairness there is one person who DOES have a signature that reads "No :heart: for supporting Trump". Is THAT what you're referring to?
Maybe the one that says, "No love for . . . terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers." along with a list of a few such groups?

Yes, as a signature, it is not purposely intending to cause conflict.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 8:44 pm

I can relate to people who get annoyed by partisan signatures. I'd rather those who have them would just set down their sentiments in a regular post on a relevent topic, in a rational way that owns it as their personal opinion and presents sensible arguments about it. If it's done by signatures, it begins to smack of spamming and propaganda, and it's off-topic unless the subject of the topic happens to coincide with the signature's content.

But I'm not aware that it flies very heavily in the face of any of the rules, and I don't feel very strongly about it.

Actually there is a guy who makes very long posts that I rarely have the time to read, and although his signature is (to me) annoying and spammy as a signature, it makes it easier for me to scroll past his posts because I can just do CTRL+f, type in a diagnostic keyword from his signature, press ENTER, and there I am at the end of his post. It's slightly easier on me and my keyboard than hitting the PageDown key umpteen times.

I'd welcome an addition to the "Wrong Planet Look & Feel" browser script such that people could block signatures they didn't want to keep seeing.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 9:07 pm

Political statements belong in PPR.

Political statements outside PPR should be against forum rules. Putting political statements in a signature puts political statements in areas of the forum where politics don't belong.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Feb 2024, 8:52 am

I have nothing against political signatures. On the contrary, some people have a tendency to write very long and sometimes a little confusing expositions on political subjects - in these cases the signature can work like an indication to whether it's worth the effort to trudge through and try to make sense of it. I think political signatures should be allowed and that hypersensitivity to other people's "disturbing" opinions shouldn't be encouraged.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 11:00 am

By its nature political and current events posts and signatures are going to upset people. But since it is so personal to us so is some Autism ones.

We have existing rules. And we have the existing report it to the mods procedure. What else do we need?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

05 Feb 2024, 11:12 am

I don't agree that a political signature is, by its nature, off topic if appearing with a post outside PPR - no more than wearing a "Vote Joe Bloggs" badge could be accused of being a political campaign.
A signature linking an external site could be accused of spamming, since the site is advertised with every post made.
A signature expressing some view about Autism could probably annoy someone, somewhere.

But any signature causing actual offence should be reported.

ToughDiamond wrote:
I'd welcome an addition to the "Wrong Planet Look & Feel" browser script such that people could block signatures they didn't want to keep seeing.
No need - settings already exist to not display signatures at all: My Account -> Board preferences -> Edit display options -> set Display signatures to "No".