Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 10:52 pm

A couple weeks ago, at a doctors appointment, I told the doctor that sometimes my feet get frozen between 5 and 10am in the winter. Doctor said that my blood pressure was "good", and the bloodwork would show if I have Diabetes. And if I do not have Diabetes, then the doctor will order a Leg Ultrasound to check for Raynauld's Phenomenon.

What kind of experience do you have with Raynauld's Phenomenon?

Also, today my sister, who is a medical doctor, told me that the gas and electric bill for this month was $270. She owns the house I live in and she pays the utilities. She told me to not use the heater so often. It is just a space heater. Central heating in my house doesn't even work. Even when the heater is on, it only heats after a couple of hours, and only heats the hallway. The area where I live is not nearly as cold as other parts of the country. In the winter, the lows are about 35 degrees fahrenheit. (Good thing I don't like in Alaska).

If I use the heater less often, in an attempt to save $$$, how do I stay warm? Been wearing five shirts, sweatpants, and socks.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 10:57 pm

My daughter has Reynaud's Syndrome in her hands and feet.
I assume that's the same thing.

Hers was diagnosed by her Rheumatologist.
Her fingers and toes turn purple and white in the cold.

I don't recall that she got any treatment for it.
She has an expensive skin prescription for eczema, though.
I'll have to check what it's called.

My feet are always frozen.
They feel like ice even in a hot bath.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 11:11 pm

I have it, and my feet stay cool even when it's 100 degrees outside. I don't turn on the air conditioning, I just take off my shoes. Yes, there is an up side to this..

On the other hand, I need gloves to drive in the winter - and I have older tube type radios I listen to at home which I warm my hands on often...

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 8:25 am

yes, rheumatologist is the place to start. Friend was diagnosed with Reynauds and afterward found out she has scleroderma. Her hands and feet are always cold. She uses an electric blanket throw... and has an electric mattress pad on her bed. These are cheap to use and more effective to keep you warm than heating an entire area. You can even get electric socks which keep your feet nice and warm. friend also swears by merino and alpaca wool socks because they help your feet breathe but keep the temperature regulated. You can help keep your hands comfortable by getting a few pairs of gloves and using them when you must work in your refrigerator or freezer, handle cold stuff of any sort. Some drugs may also be prescribed that can help. I think there are even Reynaud's forums on line... lots of info out there from reliable sources like Mayo clinic, etc. Hope you find some answers!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson