Toucan

02 Feb 2024, 3:46 pm

And no job. How did that happen? What can I do now

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 4:05 pm

IQ is about potential.

People with autism tend to focus their minds in very narrow areas.
This is great if an area of interest matches something people need.

I like to grow roses. So do a lot of people in my area.

But, as far as I know, I'm the only one who grows a flowering camelia bush.
They normally don't survive where I live.

vergil96
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Feb 2024, 12:29 pm

IQ means how fast you process information. It's not the only skill that is important, though.

What are the problems that you face while looking for a job? How does the process of looking for a job look like for you? What kind of job are you looking for?

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 8:17 am

follow your favorite passions and figure out "work arounds" or ways to use those to develop a job and set of work skills to match. If you don't know much about your own skills and abilities, there are lots of self tests that can help you sort those out. Any old edition of "what color is your parachute" will have a lot of self discovery work sheets that you can use to learn more about your best strengths and give you ideas about how to apply them to making $$$$

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 8:27 am

Find a job you can do really easy to get paid.
Forget about trying to match a passion and work.

Most people only work to pay the bills.

Have two separate lives. A work life and a home life.

Stormyweathers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2024, 12:07 pm

Highly_Autistic wrote:
I have an IQ of 148

So do I.

Think in terms of computers. Your IQ is like CPU speed, but without software, you're a steel and silicon brick.

Find a skill that requires a really fast processor, learn that skill, and you will stand out in the job market. Probably, but not certainly, you will not effectively learn by the same methods neurotypicals use, so you anticipate that you need to train yourself.

We tend to do well in markets that benefit from advanced logical skills, rapid problem solving, pattern recognition, and finding small details in large sets.

We tend to do poorly in markets which require advanced interpersonal skills or markets which are ego-driven.

I'm a scientist who works in IT. IT is a common choice. My dad chose construction, also a good choice. Accounting and auditing are good choices but require formal education. Legal research and investigation. Security pen0-testing. You get the idea.

You have to find some way to take the edge off, so be careful where you work and who you work with.

Good luck.

What_in_the_what_now
Raven
Raven

16 Feb 2024, 12:15 pm

Highly_Autistic wrote:

IQ is a measurement scale that only measures OUT of context.

IQ is a ticket to the party. If you're at the wrong party, you're a fish climbing trees.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 2:03 pm

Highly_Autistic wrote:

None of us know how it happened.

vergil96

06 Mar 2024, 11:54 am

I also have a high IQ. So high that they didn't give me the number ;) The test ended at 130.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Mar 2024, 4:18 pm

In Europe, or in my country at least, the highest score you can get at a regular test is 135. At best they tell you: "You have an IQ of 135 or higher." In the US they use a different scale where people can score way higher without, as far as I know, being more intelligent. It seems to be like European kilos versus US pounds.
At a side note, when I read an articles about "the person with the highest IQ in the world'" it makes me think "How could that be the smartest person in the world when you can't create a test with problems you can't solve yourself?"

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 11:20 pm

Highly_Autistic wrote:

I have yet to EVER hear of ANY job/occupation/profession that hires and pays based on IQ score. The economy does not care what your IQ is, it cares what you can DO to create value and make an employer money.

This is why there are a lot of not very intelligent people gainfully employed. Because whatever it is they are asked with Doing, they do, earn their pay & get paid.

Frustrating, I know. I don't know what my IQ is as I don't recall ever taking a test and I don't really give a flying f**k to find out because it has no relevance to my life to know what the number is. But I do know that I am above average intelligence and have been told so all my life by a variety of people.. which compounds the frustration during times of unemployment or underemployment. Especially unemployment.. but it's a different kind of "this sucks," when I'm doing some sort of low value "drinking bird," repetitive task while my brain is capable of so much more.

Anyways.. no one gives a s**t what your IQ is. No employer will ever ask for it nor likely hire based on it. Employers care that the work you Do for them makes them more money than they pay you - that's it. If you are capable of doing something that's high value to the business or economy, then you have the potential to get paid more money. If all you can manage to do is push a broom, then you'll get paid for that work and it won't matter one iota that your mind is going a mile a minute re-engineering everything in hypothetical space. Doesn't matter what your thoughts are or mental calculations are etc etc etc only what you Do and accomplish that's of monetary value to someone who's tasked you with completing it in exchange for $x.

I know some dumb motherf***ers that earn a lot more money than I do because they Do the things and say the words etc that get them paid, simple as that.. even if they themselves are simple. In so many ways it's easier being stupid because then you don't have all kinds of intelligent thoughts and ideas distracting you from the present moment and task at hand.. you can just Do, accomplish/complete/deliver and get paid.

edit: As a business school graduate, the above is my professional opinion. If I'm hiring for something I need it done, and usually as fast as safely possible. I don't care if you're super smart or you're not just so long as you're not so stupid you're a safety hazard walking liability that's going to sink my business. Further, telling people you're intelligent typically does not help you get hired - the think you're arrogant OR that you're too smart for the job and will find something more mentally stimulating and leave so they won't give you a shot. You have to play it neutral and just tell them that Yes you can do abc xyz widget processing and would be happy to work for them. That's it that's all. Too much information isn't going to do you any favours.

vergil96

07 Mar 2024, 1:16 pm

BillyTree wrote:
In Europe, or in my country at least, the highest score you can get at a regular test is 135. At best they tell you: "You have an IQ of 135 or higher." In the US they use a different scale where people can score way higher without, as far as I know, being more intelligent. It seems to be like European kilos versus US pounds.
At a side note, when I read an articles about "the person with the highest IQ in the world'" it makes me think "How could that be the smartest person in the world when you can't create a test with problems you can't solve yourself?"

I think IQ is a good measure at least in the "reference range" and it is a composite measure of many different cognitive skills, however, it was designed with people with average IQs in mind and doesn't offer meaningful information outside the set of people it was designed for. One thing that strikes me about people with very high IQs or those that I don't know the score of, but it's likely they have a very high IQ due to their academic achievement - are uneven skills. People in the average range seem to have a more even skill set and hence an aggregate IQ score is likely to carry more meaningful information about their functioning. One guy I used to know, for example, was a math genius who won many competitions, but he struggled to learn English, let alone other foreign languages. He wasn't good at literature either, and was average at subjects that required memorization such as history and biology. He is a scientist now. Another person I knew was exceptionally good at math, but struggled to learn programming - skills that are related and similar at first glance. I have more even skills, but I sometimes struggle with really obvious things, at the moment the one I struggle with the most is housekeeping and daily routine.

Hence, I think someone whose IQ score is outside the average IQ range would benefit from a more thorough breakdown of their skills be it fluid intelligence or solid, in order to get meaningful information about their functioning and skills.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 9:23 am

Highly_Autistic wrote:

First clue is that you are the type person who would ask, I have a 148 IQ, why don't I have a job?

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 9:33 am

Get a job? IDK what you want us to say.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?