Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 11:31 pm

What I thought is Conduct Disorder Unspecified is Bipolar, because throughout my childhood, I would behave in antisocial ways temporarily until I get depressed as a Cyclothymic symptoms, at age 15 it turned into Bipolar Disorder.

I thought that I have Conduct Disorder Unspecified, but maybe it's a differential diagnosis.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2024, 1:54 am

A lot of people with bipolar have issues with conduct due to emotional dysregulation, so it's not surprising there are some misdiagnoses between different, yet similar diagnostic criteria.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2024, 5:46 am

I know that many on the spectrum were missdiagnosed with bipolar. (Though of course one can have both!)
The main "Clue" I heard to differentiate between the two was that those with highs and lows with bipolar take a typical period of four days to go from one extreme to the other as bipolar is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain and brain chemicals take a while to change. Autism is brain connection issues, so those who have highs and lows due to autism traits can have several highs and lows a day which does not happen with bipolar in itself.
I have not heard of the other condition. I only looked into the differences between bipolar and autism when I was trying to research autism to work out if I could be on the spectrum and if the shutdowns were shutdowns etc.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2024, 10:05 am

That makes sense.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2024, 11:01 am

Have you spoke to a professional about this.

I struggle to understand how conduct disorder can be like bi polar but I'm not expert.

I had conduct disorder as a child but I'm in no way bi polar

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2024, 11:39 am

babybird wrote:
Have you spoke to a professional about this.

I struggle to understand how conduct disorder can be like bi polar but I'm not expert.

I had conduct disorder as a child but I'm in no way bi polar

There is an overlap, but it's not the same, it's risky behavior, some criminality and impulsivity.

Yes, I can talk about it more with my psychiatrist.