Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Would you engage in casual sex or have done so?
Male and I have 43%  43%  [ 19 ]
Male and I haven't but would 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Male and I wouldn't 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Female and I have 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Female and I haven't but would 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Female and I wouldn't 23%  23%  [ 10 ]
I can't identify with either gender so wasn't able to pick one of the first six options 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 44

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 6:25 am

For anyone who with no interest whatsoever in casual sex, any suggestion that people should, under the "right" circumstances, consider it — this suggestion is for people not sure how they feel. If you're sure you don't want to, far be it from me to question that.

As for any gender distinction, in almost every situation I was ever in that I would characterize as casual sex (except for one situation in which I sort of suggested it, but nothing happened), the sex was always proposed by the other (female) person. Usually verbally, but once by somebody grabbing my wrist and pulling me into her bed. Granted, you might question what I was doing in her bedroom, but it was she who pulled me into the bed. I was also once officially in a relationship with someone, but at one point she decided she didn't have the proper feelings for me, but wanted to continue intimacy on a FWB basis (I will assume that counts as casual).

When I was single, I never sought sexual "conquests". I was always looking for a girlfriend (with the expectation that a girlfriend would be a sex partner). In some cases, I pursued the wrong people, but that was always my goal.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 12:49 pm

Personal experience and this poll are too small/limited to say anything about the sexual views of men and women on the spectrum. A valid survey would consist of hundreds of officially diagnosed autistics as well as a control group consisting of hundreds of NTs if you want to make comparisons between the sexual views of autistics and non-autistics. It’s an extremely complicated topic though with a lot of side issues, including regional variation, generational differences, stuff related to consent, etc., so a survey should account for that stuff as well. An important category that you didn’t include in your poll is: I have but wouldn’t again.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 12 Feb 2024, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 1:00 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
An important category that you didn’t include in your polls is: I have but wouldn’t again.

^ I stated earlier that this is my category, if the kiss I had counts.

Actually there was another bloke I made out with a little bit one night in Uni.
He was a friend of a friend and we'd been drinking.
Then I panicked and stopped it and locked myself in my room crying.

I wouldn't do that again either.
For one thing, my friend called me a "cosmopolitan slut" for it.
Then she kicked me out of our flat.

I was still a virgin.
Go figure.

Shaming is real, and something else to consider especially for females.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 1:06 pm

From what I can gather, negative sexual experiences, including ones that are later regretted, are quite common among autistic females. I guess that’s not surprising given autistics’ difficulty with social awareness and, thus, recognizing red flags.

Quote:
In their 2019 study (135 autistic females, 96 autistic males, 161 non-autistic females), they found that autistic females expressed less sexual interest than autistic males but not less than non-autistic females. The authors categorized negative sexual experience as (1) sexual experiences that were later regretted; (2) unwanted sexual experiences; and (3) being the victim of an unwanted sexual advances. While the methodological pertinence of such categorization is questionable, results are highly significant: autistic females were 7.15 and 2.52 times more likely to undergo negative sexual experience than autistic males and non-autistic females, respectively (Pecora et al., 2019).

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 52203/full

There’s lots of interesting research at the above link.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 1:21 pm

One problem is that autistic people tend to have great difficulty understanding non-verbal cues or reading body language to know if the person really likes them. Some autistics also drink a bit or smoke up to break the ice in social situations. That clouds their judgment further and can lead to bad outcomes.

In my case at Uni it was the one and only time I got drunk in a campus pub, and I thought the dude kind of liked me. He was visiting my friend on campus from somewhere very far away and didn't attend as a student so I kind of thought it would be "fun" and "normal" to make out with this relative stranger who came back to my house with me because he was there to visit my friend, after all ..... :cry:

I remember it got to a point we were making out on the sofa and he was moving the cushions so we could lay on the floor (?) and it clued into me what he was thinking. I'm not sure why he hadn't suggested my bedroom but I'm glad he didn't. That's when I freaked out and ran upstairs. My friend was upset that I treated her friend like that. He left for the night and I never saw him again.

Years later my friend and I reconnected on Facebook after not speaking for several years. I told her about it, and about her calling me a "cosmopolitan slut". She was shocked and said she didn't remember, but of course she remembered kicking me out of our student house. Apparently she kicked me out because her boyfriend who lived with us at the time was beating her, and she didn't want me to know and report it.

clusterf**k all around.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 3:05 pm

^ That IS messed up. It must’ve felt like such a betrayal. I can relate in a way.

More research from the same study that I previously cited:

Quote:
Although methodological shortcomings such as disproportionate sex ratios, variations in study methodology and poor power have constrained the validity of key findings, the most consistent and concerning conclusion amongst all three publications were the overall reduced levels of sexual and romantic functioning among autistic females. These included lower levels of sexual well-being, satisfaction and assertiveness, in addition to reduced sexual arousability, and less desire to engage in sexual behaviours compared to males either with autism or TD peers of both sexes.

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ic_Females

I’m a bit skeptical about autistic women being less interested in sex than other women. Perhaps they could seem less interested in casual sex if they’ve experienced previous trauma like most have according to research. Obviously, everyone is different too.

Notice the date:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=329944&p=7309992#p7309992

Let me translate: “Not comfortable” is an understatement. “Not enjoyable” meant that I’d rather do just about anything else. By “asexual,” I meant that I had no desire or sexual feelings whatsoever, not even for self-pleasure. Sex with that as*hole wouldn’t be enjoyable, but even though he was threatening and violent sometimes, I didn’t realize that it could be much better with someone else. :roll: I bet that happens a lot and that it could explain some of the research. These days, I’d say that I have a normal to high sex drive and would enjoy sex with the right person.

Quote:
The researchers call for more studies on the victimization or abuse autistic women might experience and why we may be particularly vulnerable in certain situations. They acknowledge that abuse is often underreported by autistic people — but they do not mention that this may be because these women do not fully understand what abuse is or recognize they are being abused.

When my college boyfriend dumped me, he became verbally abusive. I felt that I needed to remain friends with him, and I did not have the confidence to end the friendship. In another instance, I began corresponding with the older brother of a boy I knew in college. What started as flirtatious sexual exchanges turned into him begging, pleading and harassing me to show him parts of my body. As time went on, I stopped wanting to do it but felt unbearably guilty for saying no. My self-esteem was low, and I believed that if I turned him down, no one would ever want me. It was more than a decade before I recognized these situations as abusive.

The researchers also fail to connect the idea that autistic women tend to be uninterested in sex with the finding that these women have many negative sexual experiences. Also, they spoke to only 135 autistic women. The results cannot — and should not — be indicative of the entire autistic female population.

We need researchers to better understand and address the intersection of autism and trauma and how unwanted sexual experiences shape and influence the attitudes of autistic women toward sex. They must also take great care in framing these conversations so as not to cast blame on autistic women for the unwanted sexual events they may experience.

https://www.spectrumnews.org/opinion/vi ... n-and-sex/

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 12 Feb 2024, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 4:09 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
An important category that you didn’t include in your polls is: I have but wouldn’t again.

^ I stated earlier that this is my category, if the kiss I had counts.

Actually there was another bloke I made out with a little bit one night in Uni.
He was a friend of a friend and we'd been drinking.
Then I panicked and stopped it and locked myself in my room crying.

I wouldn't do that again either.
For one thing, my friend called me a "cosmopolitan slut" for it.
Then she kicked me out of our flat.

I was still a virgin.
Go figure.

Shaming is real, and something else to consider especially for females.

I strongly considered this. I was trying to minimize the number of choices. Probably screwed up on this one. I expected serious issues with the choices would come out in the comments.

Although I believe I did specify that the casual sex choice should be limited to consensual sex. In other words, the question would be "did you consent to casual consensual sex but now wish you hadn't?". Which I am sure a lot of people would answer in the affirmative, on or off the spectrum. But it's probably better than agreeing to sex with someone on the false premise that they want a serious relationship. At least you'd know it was casual and carried risks.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 5:40 pm

Yeah, I get that. It's just that I've never done "consensual casual sex" meaning anything beyond kissing.
I don't have anything against it if it's consensual for the people but I've never had that kind of experience.

The two things I described both ended badly.

They were consensual at the time, but the first dude turned out to be a very dangerous individual.
I was unable to suss him up because he had love-bombed me first.

The second one at Uni was consensual for making out, but I didn't want more.
Then he got angry.
Then my friend got angry with me for "leading him on" when I thought it was only about kissing.
(This happened before the other story, but I'm calling it second because I told the story second.)

I was thoroughly shamed for the uni experience.
My friend / housemate put my clothes and freezer food out on the lawn when I was in class.
That's how I got kicked out.

It seems there are a lot of unwritten rules about how hookups, however innocent, should work.
It's even harder when the person is ND.

That being said, if it works for some people, great.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 6:21 pm

I didn't go farther than kissing either

It's not that I didn't love him

I didn't want to get pregnant!! !

That is part of what is stopping me from sex

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2024, 6:51 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
One problem is that autistic people tend to have great difficulty understanding non-verbal cues or reading body language to know if the person really likes them.

That certainly applies to me! I have always been so oblivious. I have no clue how to even flirt. There are certain ways that people can flirt with me or show that they like me that will be discernible by me, but it has to become very obvious. Otherwise I'm clueless. Body language especially, I have no idea how to read that at all.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 12:28 am

Ya, I've tried it. Wasn't entirely sure it was for me or that I enjoyed it.. so just to be sure I've done it several hundred times. :mrgreen:

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2024, 8:11 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm demisexual, so that's a big "n-o" for casual.

A few girls have tried before (without my full consent) and I definitely did not enjoy it as much as I should have.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2024, 8:23 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Ya, I've tried it. Wasn't entirely sure it was for me or that I enjoyed it.. so just to be sure I've done it several hundred times. :mrgreen:

:lol:

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 10:39 pm

I'm a sport for casual sex. I did that as a younger person, and since I've been single again for the last few years now, it's been the only kind of sex I have had. It is arguable that even in 'actual' relationships, I have no idea how to attach emotion to sex, so all the sex I've ever had has been technically considered casual. I don't know if it's an autism thing for me though. It could be a lot of things, really. But yeah, I'm all for it for me, so long as the person I'm having it with is cool with it to.