Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Iris.Ell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Feb 2024, 3:56 am

Are you a morning or night person and why?

:)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 3:57 am

Night person, because that's when I have energy.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Iris.Ell

17 Feb 2024, 4:15 am

funeralxempire wrote:

Same here :)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 4:26 am

Iris.Ell wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Same here :)

It's funny because even after I've been awake for more than a day I still have my energy peaks in the evening and night. Basically, if I've been up for a day and a half, if it's already evening I can count on being up for two days.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Iris.Ell

17 Feb 2024, 5:00 am

Any advice on how to do things in the morning?

It feels like I have no motivation at all, like my mind is not working. I am trying to do the less demanding intellectually things, but then I tend to procrastinate.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 6:21 am

up with the sun or an hour or two before, down with the sun or an hour or 2 later. My metabolism has not changed in that way all my life. I get my best work done between 5 am and 4 PM, very very little done after 5. In bed by 8, asleep by 11, sleep only 5 hours, it must be all I need, although I used to sleep up to 13 hours at a time in my younger days.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Iris.Ell

17 Feb 2024, 6:32 am

autisticelders wrote:
up with the sun or an hour or two before, down with the sun or an hour or 2 later. My metabolism has not changed in that way all my life. I get my best work done between 5 am and 4 PM, very very little done after 5. In bed by 8, asleep by 11, sleep only 5 hours, it must be all I need, although I used to sleep up to 13 hours at a time in my younger days.

That sounds like a very stable routine 8)

I have heard again, how productive those very early hours in the morning can be!

Thinking about it, I noticed that before a tight deadline I would sit at 8 pm and do the whole work until the morning and the very early morning hours I would feel the sharpest!!

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 7:01 am

Neither. I'm always keen to go to sleep and annoyed when it's time to wake up.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 10:20 am

Mostly night person...
Might be my head, might be my body at fault.
Because sometimes it's not. But it kept changing...

I'd rather just be this... 'Wake up anytime, act, feel, think like my own age instead of an irritable angry child because I finally feel refreshed in mind and body' person. :roll:
Don't care if it's early morning or unholy hours, I just want my body to stop whining every time I wake up, eat, move, drink or even damn breathe.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 10:23 am

I'm an afternoon/evening person.

Morning's are a nightmare for me.

Iris.Ell

17 Feb 2024, 12:48 pm

I suppose you all relate to the awful feeling of waking up earlier than we should have (why did you wake me up at 9:15 instead of 9:30, sort of thing).

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 5:48 pm

I'm anything but a morning person. I usually feel groggy and kind of ill in the mornings. I've tried staying in bed till the afternoon, but I still feel as bad when I get up. So maybe it's not a question of the time of day, but the effect of getting out of bed after sleeping?

Anyway, a better question is, can it be put right? So I looked at the Web to see what the causes are supposed to be:

1. Irregular sleeping or too little sleep
Don't think so. It doesn't correlate well with irregular hours, and although I feel worse when I'm underslept, I still feel rough when I've slept well.

2. Low blood sugar
Don't think so. I've often gone without food for many hours after getting up, but I still start feeling better even before I eat.

3. Dehydration
Don't think so. I drink loads of fluids, consume almost no alcohol, and little salt.

Anxiety
Don't think so. I've never noticed a correlation.

Cortisol
Could be. It's said to be high in the mornings and to lead to nausea. But they say the fix is to have strict routines for eating and sleeping, and drinking only water or herbal tea for 2 hours before bedtime. For me that would be a drastic intervention. Isn't there a cortisol test I could have instead, to find out if it's that before going through all that crap? I guess not.

Most of the Web advice on the matter seems to be about nausea and stomach trouble. But my stomach doesn't usually feel bad and if I do feel nausea, it's not very intense at all. It's hard to describe the symptoms accurately. I just feel generally like crap.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 6:41 pm

Personally, it takes a while for me to boot up. So I prefer to get up earlier. I like to open my curtains and lie there for a bit as the sun comes up. The gradual light makes it easier.

I can't shoot right out of bed and instantly have breakfast. I don't have the appetite. So I prefer to get dressed before eating.

A gradual morning like that is ideal. I am the most productive in the afternoon. 11am until 4pm are the best hours. Unfortunately I have a bad time in a 9 (or often 8 ) till 5 environment. Before 11 my mind is just blue screening inconveniently / running on Windows XP. :lol:

I can't have coffee early either since stimulants tend to just sedate me pretty much. Sure I'll be relaxed, but I'll be unfocused and fuzzy.

After 9 PM my mind does not want to work on anything productive. So I wouldn't say I'm a night person but I'm definitely not a productive from the crack of dawn person either.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 6:43 pm

I can be both, but I am mostly a night person. I usually have more energy after dark and the world is quieter then. I prefer to do things like shopping late and avoiding the daytime crowds.

Last edited by DanielW on 17 Feb 2024, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 7:05 pm

Sleep is very difficult for me. It's very hard for me to fall asleep, so I tend to fall asleep later and later every day, so I have a very irregular sleep schedule. Add to that that I have ME/CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) so I am always very tired regardless of when I sleep.

I don't have many obligations, since I don't have a job, but I still have some, and sometimes there are just things I want to do, and would rather not miss, especially since I only manage to get out somewhat infrequently, so there are times when I have to (or choose to) drag myself out of bed even though I have had insufficient sleep. (For instance I might have fallen asleep at 6am so ideally I wouldn't have to get up until 3pm, but if there's something I need or want to do, I might have to get up at 11 am, for example, after only 5 hours of sleep, which is not nearly enough for me and I feel terrible all day.) It's a major problem.

My tendency is to be up at night and sleep late in the morning or into the afternoon. If I could have a regular sleep schedule, I would aim for sleeping between 3am and noon, since that is the most realistic for me. Ideally I would rather sleep between midnight and 9am, but I have never been able to maintain a schedule like that, even when I was younger and my sleep was a bit more regular.

So, to answer the question, night is much better for me than morning.

Iris.Ell

17 Feb 2024, 7:15 pm

>>[quote="ToughDiamond"]I'm anything but a morning person. I usually feel groggy and kind of ill in the mornings. I've tried staying in bed till the afternoon, but I still feel as bad when I get up. So maybe it's not a question of the time of day, but the effect of getting out of bed after sleeping?

The cortisol levels are one thing. It really depends on so many factors. Have you tried magnesium? have you checked your vitamin D? Your iron levels? Are you exposed to any sort of noise/radiation?
...as long as you find what is causing it..

I had the same problem, it changed by raising my iron levels (you need folate and vitamin c as well to work ). But I started also bone broth and protein to utilize the iron intake.

So, I would start by making a thorough investigation in your blood exams first.

Still, I hate mornings-even worse if you have not slept well!