Does it seem like autistic people are more likely to not....

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

justanotherpersonsomewhere23124
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Feb 2024, 8:37 pm

Does it seem like autistic people are more likely to not like physical labor? Why do you think so?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 8:47 pm

justanotherpersonsomewhere23124 wrote:
Does it seem like autistic people are more likely to not like physical labor? Why do you think so?

Totally varies from person to person. Some have the ability to keep going and going like machines! Others can't! Varies from person to person.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 9:27 pm

Two common causes; dyspraxia (motor learning disorder that seems to be common in autism) and specific health conditions (may range from constant health issues from psychiatric issues that made many of us seem sickly to something systemic like Ehlers Danlos syndrome)

Might be the other way around; those with said conditions tend to be qualified for autism diagnosis and among others -- said conditions may mimic said conditions behaviors.

Personally, I'm more active than an average person.

But I still have unresolved health problems that makes it more difficult. I think it gets more difficult as I age and it's annoying the heck out of me.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 9:44 pm

In my stereotype, this is that NT is cliquey and loves team sports; autism is the opposite. I heard that the evaluation criteria for autism seem to be related to movement disorders, but I don’t know more scientific knowledge.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 6:46 am

depends on the individual. I did hard physical labor all my life, 50+ years.... was a runner and still a walker/hiker, each of us is going to be different in the amount of energy we are willing to expend and in what ways we choose to expend it. I don't think this trait can be assigned as part of autism.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Feb 2024, 1:14 pm

I think there's a lot of anecdotal evidence that a lot of autistic people don't like hard labor. Personally, I am quite the opposite. Since early childhood I love hard physical work like chopping wood or digging trenches. For exercise I like hitting a punching bag or lifting weights. When I work out I like to push myself to the limit. A lot of autistic people seem to be hyper sensitive to pain while I have a higher than average tolerance to pain and exhaustion.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2024, 4:28 am

I don't think I dislike it any more than most people do. It both attracts me and repels me.

Iris.Ell

19 Feb 2024, 4:37 am

I would avoid it at all costs. Working in a cafe shop, ruined my back and I cannot lift weight or do anything like that. Let other people do it..

I even hate doing daily housekeeping stuff, I find it most mundane, and consumes so much energy. I have to,though.

But I assume that people on the spectrum avoid manual labour for many reasons. We are more sensitive to pain due to wrong body posture. Secondly, we want,need and pursue the intellectual challenge.

elotepreparado
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2024, 5:16 am

Like others said, some have motor issues.

I had to see neurologist to rule out a bunch of things around the time I was first assessed for autism. I had some balance and coordination issues or something.

But I find that I like some physical labor, especially if it is repetitive and a structured task. I did not mind harvesting potatoes, hoeing at weeds, planting seeds, mulching, etc. I liked the mostly straightforward tasks on the university farm whether it was 95 F or 50 F. It was sensory hell sometimes with the sweat, bugs, dirt, etc but the tasks cleared my mind a lot. No thoughts, just plants and dirt :lol:

I have the same feeling when I am clearing up the yard, cleaning the pool, raking leaves etc. It can bother me a lot sensory wise sometimes but I like having a clear task and working on it as much as I can before I tire out. But I have an aspergers dad and aspergers uncle that both went into the military so maybe they passed down that mindset of working on physical tasks or something.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2024, 10:52 pm

These are the things I do not like about physical labor:

1) Being expected to do all of it when there are plenty of other people doing nothing.

2) Being told what to do without being told how to do it, and then getting in trouble for doing it wrong.

3) Being micro-managed every step of the way by someone literally looking over my shoulder (and doing little else).

4) Seeing someone else get the credit for my work.

This is why I made the effort to earn a STEM degree, instead of remaining a manual laborer for the rest of my life.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2024, 11:53 pm

I like to do physical labour but my poor fine motor skills mean I can't do a lot of things physically.

Fine motor skills can be taught, and practiced. Even if I'll never really master them I still can do a good enough job at work and at home.

I think it takes a great deal of effort for someone with limited motor control to do physical labour which is discouraging to some. But I find learning these skills to be worthwhile.

The great thing about society is that we have the option to study and have a desk job or work on other skills to earn a living.