Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

playgroundlover22695
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2024, 9:59 pm

This is my story about my sensory problem. I'm looking for advice from anyone who deals with this.
I was watching TV when my mom offered to scratch my back for me. My mom's back scratches are the best because she knows just how much pressure I need. She also said she was going to keep her hand in one spot and let me move around where I needed her to scratch. Everything was going great at first. I was arching my back, leaning left and right while she scratched all my itchy spots. I felt like I was in heaven, until an itchy spot appeared on my right side. I kept asking her to scratch it, but I kept moving and swatting her arm due to sensory issues. It was really frustrating for me because I'm so sensitive to touch there, yet it kept itching. I tried scratching it myself, but it didn't work. I gave her several more chances to successfully scratch the stubborn itchy spot, with no success. :roll:

My mom then offered to put some lotion on my skin since it looked so dry and itchy. I got out some lotion and she rubbed it on my back and arms just fine. I then asked her to put some lotion on my side spot which she did, but not for long before I swatted her again. Once she did that I asked her to put some lotion on my tummy. I know it's an odd request, but sometimes my tummy itches when my skin is dry. I have always been super sensitive to people touching my tummy, but I figured why not try again? So, I laid down next to her and tried to relax but, as soon as her hand touched my tummy, I freaked out and moved it off. Then I told her to try again and I would move her hand on it. Sadly we met with no success. She eventually gave up.

I really don't like these sensory issues because they are negatively affecting me, but I don't know what to do. I know my mom isn't trying to hurt me, but I'm super sensitive to touch. Also, sometimes my tummy gets blocked and bloated, (another ASD trait) so I would love to have her massage it for me. Does anyone else have this problem or any solutions for me? Yes, I can rub my own tummy and I do a lot, but it doesn't feel as good when I do it. I can also get a back scratcher for myself and use it when I'm itchy, but then my arm needs to twist around like a pretzel to use it. It's incredibly frustrating and sometimes depressing when you crave the soothing feeling of human touch from a loved one, but you can't even handle it for 1 minute. I thought I grew out of these issues somewhat, but tonight was proof that I didn't. :(

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 2:39 pm

Put the lotion or scratch, message these places that you can? Obviously there are areas you can’t put lotion on like your back.

My sensitive areas are most anything top of the back up.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

playgroundlover22695
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2024, 9:59 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Put the lotion or scratch, message these places that you can? Obviously there are areas you can’t put lotion on like your back.

Yeah. That's what I do, but it just sucks that in my heart, I crave human touching because although I know I'm loved, I want to feel it through physical contact. It makes me feel a little empty knowing that someone (my mom) has enough love to be willing to try and soothe my itching belly with lotion and a gentle massage, yet I can't enjoy it due to my sensory issues. It also makes me feel bad about myself because I keep pushing her hand away and she's only trying to help me feel better. It's one of the things I hate most about being on the spectrum.
I know this is a weird forum post, so I should add that I'm not married or dating. I own the house, but my parents live with me. It's common knowledge that many people on the spectrum have a very close connection to only a few people in their lives who they feel deeper about than NT's. Well, for me, my close circle is my mom, my dad, my grandmother, and only one close friend. Because I'm not married or anything, my mom is the only person I feel comfortable with touching me that way. That's why it upsets me to be sensitive to touch. I want to have her bonding with me because she's in my closest circle of people. :(

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 5:04 am

playgroundlover22695 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Yeah. That's what I do, but it just sucks that in my heart, I crave human touching because although I know I'm loved, I want to feel it through physical contact. It makes me feel a little empty knowing that someone (my mom) has enough love to be willing to try and soothe my itching belly with lotion and a gentle massage, yet I can't enjoy it due to my sensory issues. It also makes me feel bad about myself because I keep pushing her hand away and she's only trying to help me feel better. It's one of the things I hate most about being on the spectrum.
I know this is a weird forum post, so I should add that I'm not married or dating. I own the house, but my parents live with me. It's common knowledge that many people on the spectrum have a very close connection to only a few people in their lives who they feel deeper about than NT's. Well, for me, my close circle is my mom, my dad, my grandmother, and only one close friend. Because I'm not married or anything, my mom is the only person I feel comfortable with touching me that way. That's why it upsets me to be sensitive to touch. I want to have her bonding with me because she's in my closest circle of people. :(

A touch sensitivity thread on an autism forum. Not weird at all.

I am glad your mom and your family are the nice understanding people they seem to be.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

playgroundlover22695
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2024, 10:40 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
playgroundlover22695 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

A touch sensitivity thread on an autism forum. Not weird at all.

I am glad your mom and your family are the nice understanding people they seem to be.

Yes, my mom is good to me. Just last night she asked me to come lay next to her and watch TV because she wanted to "make me feel better." As soon as I laid down I was in heaven because she gave me a special back scratching and massage for almost 1/2 hour. That feels really good because she scratches with just the right amount of pressure all over my back while I guide her to all my "hot spots".
Then, she gently rubs my back to even out the "scratch feeling" which is really nice, but sometimes it gives me a sudden itchy spot, so I'll just tell her to go back to scratching and arch my back until she reaches it. I'm not going to lie, I moan sometimes when she does it, especially when she hits the sweet spot. Last night I said "Can you please go down?", A little more down. Just a little bit more. Okay that's good. Oh yeah that's the spot right there!" :) Sometimes I even close my eyes while she does it, just so I can relax and focus all my attention on being soothed.
Still, I wish I could get myself to let her touch my sides and my stomach because it's annoying when she's scratching my back and my side itches, but neither one of us can get it. Also, my ASD causes bloating and constipation in my stomach. It often feels like it needs a massage to relax the muscles and "keep things moving." I really wish I could have her do it for me sometimes, but I just can't yet tolerate it. :( I'm wondering if perhaps putting an extra layer over my tummy such as a thick blanket would make it easier to enjoy the benefits? Perhaps making her touch my stomach for small increments would help me gradually build up tolerance?

In other news, I went to the doctor this week and showed him some dry skin on my hands. He recommended Cerave cream and wearing socks to bed to keep in the moisture. I love wearing socks to bed because it helps, but I feel like the socks just absorb the lotion. Maybe I need thicker socks. Socks are also good for me because if I get itchy in the middle of the night, I can't really scratch myself. Only rub the itch. It's better for my skin. Does anyone on here wear socks or gloves on their hands to bed? :P