Nikki Haley vows to stay in the presidential race after S.C.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2024, 5:44 pm

‘I refuse to quit’: Nikki Haley vows to stay in the presidential race after South Carolina

Quote:
Former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley made clear Tuesday in an address on the state of the GOP presidential primary that she's not going to drop out soon even as she significantly trails former President Donald Trump in the polls.

"Some of you — perhaps a few of you in the media — came here today to see if I’m dropping out of the race," she said. "Well, I’m not. Far from it."

Haley said "we all know where" calls for her to drop out are coming from, pointing to "the political elite, the party bosses" and "cheerleaders in the commentator world."

"The argument is familiar," she said. "They say ... that my path to victory is slim. They point to the primary polls and say I’m only delaying the inevitable. Why keep fighting when the battle was apparently over after Iowa?"

Speaking at her alma mater, Clemson University, Haley ripped into the former president, calling him a "disaster" for the GOP, "more unstable and unhinged" than when he first ran, criticizing other Republicans for being "too afraid to say it out loud."

"Of course, many of the same politicians who now publicly embrace Trump privately dread him," she said. "They know what a disaster he’s been and will continue to be for our party."

"Well, I’m not afraid to say the hard truths out loud," she added. "I feel no need to kiss the ring. And I have no fear of Trump’s retribution. I’m not looking for anything from him."

Haley's speech came as recent surveys of the Palmetto State show her down by more than 20 points against Trump. A USA Today/Suffolk University poll released Tuesday showed Haley trailing Trump by 28 points, while a Winthrop University survey showed her trailing by 36 points. Adding to concerns are upcoming primary states looking as if they could produce similar results, with Trump set up to win a massive delegate haul on Super Tuesday next month.

In a memo written by top Trump campaign aides Chris LaCivita and Susie Wiles on Tuesday ahead of Haley's speech, the Trump team argued that under the most conservative estimate they believe Trump will secure enough delegates to clinch the Republican nomination by March 19. But they said a more likely date was March 12 — just three weeks away.

LaCivita and Wiles said the campaign's next steps are to acknowledge Haley "is irrelevant and not newsworthy — and unworthy of said attention," link the Republican National Committee with Trump's campaign, fully coordinate with the other GOP campaign committees, begin convention planning and launch the general election campaign.

But Haley, as she has argued on the trail in recent weeks, said Trump is simply not a viable general election candidate to face off with President Joe Biden, regardless of what current polling says. (A number of polls show Trump leading Biden in key swing states.)

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 4:00 am

Would like to see Nikki Haley Vs Kamala Harris Vs Tusli Gabbard

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 1:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Not me.

Haley is not nearly the MAGA enabler most Republicans are but way to much of an enabler. Kamala is more unpopular then Joe. Tulsi is by all intents and purposes a NatCon(Nationalist Conservative). As tired as I am of “forever wars” isolationism is a really bad option at this point.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 2:38 pm

cyberdad wrote:

I would, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dXJB4fRz3Q

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 2:38 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYp2j2dKsjA

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2024, 1:41 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Not me.

Haley is not nearly the MAGA enabler most Republicans are but way to much of an enabler. Kamala is more unpopular then Joe. Tulsi is by all intents and purposes a NatCon(Nationalist Conservative). As tired as I am of “forever wars” isolationism is a really bad option at this point.

No it's just weird coincidence that all three are connected to hinduism

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2024, 3:00 am

Sad.

All the others saw the writing on the wall and didn't go past Iowa. Haley seems naïve and inexperienced.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2024, 6:57 am

Some pundits are theorizing her theory is Trump will lose the General Election, and she will be there to pick up the pieces.

My opinion is that if Trump loses the party will become even more hard MAGA which is what happened after Trump lost in 2020.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 4:56 am

Trump wins, defeating Haley in her home state

Quote:
Former President Donald Trump won the Republican presidential primary in South Carolina on Saturday, handily defeating the state's former governor and his last remaining GOP challenger, Nikki Haley.

The Associated Press quickly called the race for Trump shortly after polls closed in the state on Saturday.

Shortly after learning that she had lost the Republican presidential primary her home state of South Carolina, Nikki Haley told supporters in Charleston that she was staying in the race.

"I'm grateful that today is not the end of our story. We're heading to Michigan tomorrow," Haley said.

Despite earning roughly 40% of the vote to Trump's 60% in South Carolina, Haley declared that "I don't believe Donald Trump can beat Joe Biden," and added, "40% is not some tiny group."

Haley's argument is that "there are huge numbers in our Republican primaries that want an alternative" to Trump.

ere's what's next in the Republican race for the presidential nomination:

Feb. 27: Michigan Republican primary

March 2: Michigan Republican caucus, Idaho Republican caucus, Missouri Republican caucus

March 3: District of Columbia Republican primary

March 4: North Dakota Republican caucus

Nikki Haley scored higher among male voters, while Donald Trump won more support from women voters. Trump had more success among 18- to 29-year-olds, while Haley did better with voters between the ages of 30 and 64.

Moments after being declared the winner in Saturday's Republican presidential primary in South Carolina, former President Donald Trump addressed his supporters in Columbia.

"This was a little sooner than we anticipated — an even bigger win that we anticipated," Trump said.

Trump easily defeated Nikki Haley, the former South Carolina governor, and he made sure to savor his victory.

"I have never seen the Republican Party so unified as it is right now," Trump said.

In a CBS News exit poll of voters in Saturday's Republican presidential primary in South Carolina, 72% said that Donald Trump, who is 77 years old, "has the physical/mental health to be president." Twenty-seven percent of those surveyed said Trump does not.

Notably, Trump's numbers were better than those for his Republican rival Nikki Haley, who is 52. Just 60% of voters told CBS News Haley possessed the physical and mental health required to be president, while 39% said she did not.

From an early exit poll taken by CNN, Just 32% of South Carolinians who voted in Saturday's Republican presidential primary said that President Biden legitimately won the 2020 election over former President Donald Trump. Sixty-five percent of those polled said they did not think Biden legitimately won.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 11:13 am

When I was a kid, I thought that wrestling was real. Now, I'm thinking that there isn't much difference between wrestling and politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULHvxEtkoO0

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 11:35 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Not me.

No it's just weird coincidence that all three are connected to hinduism

AFAIK Haley has no connection whatsoever to Hinduism. Gabbard is a Russian agent. The thought isn't even mildly entertaining.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 11:38 am

Honey69 wrote:

Only an idiot would think Haley is a moderate, if by that you mean someone who would willingly compromise with Democrats on fundamental issues.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 4:23 pm

MaxE wrote:
Only an idiot would think Haley is a moderate,

Yes, but America is FULL of idiots.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 4:35 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Some pundits are theorizing her theory is Trump will lose the General Election, and she will be there to pick up the pieces.

My opinion is that if Trump loses the party will become even more hard MAGA which is what happened after Trump lost in 2020.

It's high time to criminalize conservatism, and possibly religion as well.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 10:14 pm

I think it speaks volumes when the state in which you were a governor in won't support you in your run for the white house.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 10:29 pm

Aspinator wrote:
I think it speaks volumes when the state in which you were a governor in won't support you in your run for the white house.

Because they think Trump is the only thing keeping white, straight, cis, Christian males from being "persecuted"

Now proficient in ChatGPT!