Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 5:42 am

So...clouds [may]get in your way....

https://youtu.be/Pbn6a0AFfnM

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 8:29 am

We have finally hit the day of the Total Solar Eclipse, the day of Totality.

Yesterday, it was cloudy in the morning. Then around 3, the sun came out. But then heavy rainstorms swept through.

This morning my daughter called and said forecast for the time of the solar eclipse in my region of Indiana at around 3 P.M. predicts clean skies.

This may be a very interesting event here. I wonder where my wife placed the solar eclipse glasses.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 9:02 am

Last night, just before and during awakening, I began to think deeper thoughts.

I remembered at the beginning of this thread that I discussed Christopher Columbus predicting a solar eclipse on his third voyage to the Americas.

On 30 June 1503, Christopher Columbus beached his two last caravels and was stranded in Jamaica. The indigenous people of the island welcomed Columbus and his crew and fed them, but after six months, they halted the food supply, dissatisfied with what the Spaniards could provide in trade. Columbus had on board an almanac authored by Abraham Zacuto of astronomical tables covering the years 1475–1506. Upon consulting the book, he noticed the date and the time of an upcoming lunar eclipse. He was able to use this information to his advantage. He requested a meeting for that day with the Cacique, the leader, and told him that God was angry with the local people's treatment of Columbus and his men. Columbus said God would provide a clear sign of displeasure by making the rising full Moon appear "inflamed with wrath".

Source: March 1504 lunar eclipse

A couple of things raced across my mind.

#1. At the time of this solar eclipse, people did not know that they needed to wear special glasses to avoid damage to their eyes.

The sun emits the heat and light we all depend on. But it also gives off potentially harmful ultraviolet (UV) light and infrared (IR) radiation. You may be tempted to look directly at the sun during an eclipse, as it will appear completely or mostly dark—but that would be extremely dangerous, says New York State Health Commissioner Dr. James McDonald. “ISO-certified eclipse glasses will shield your eyes from serious and possibly permanent damage, which can occur by looking at the eclipse with regular sunglasses or without any eye protection.”

Dr. Christopher Starr, an Associate Professor of Ophthalmology and Associate Attending Ophthalmologist at Weill Cornell Medicine, seconds the commissioner’s statement. Looking directly at the sun during an eclipse or at any time, for that matter, can cause retinal and ocular damage, leading to irreversible blindness or partial vision loss, he says. Even looking at the sun directly for a few seconds can cause irreparable harm.

Source: Protect Your Eyes When Viewing the Solar Eclipse

So Christopher Columbus and the indigenous people of that time on Jamaica were exposed to this threat. Not only that, they were told of the event ahead of time. They focused on it.

#2 This type of events may soon disappear. This is because the Moon is getting further and further away from the Earth. So as we go back in history, solar eclipses occurred more often and lasted for longer periods of time. The solar eclipse of 1 March 1504 A.D. happened over 500 years ago.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 9:36 am

What is the latest weather forecast?

"The clearing zone is pushing quickly across Indiana and Ohio this morning. However, some high clouds will continue to streak south to north in this region," Pastelok said. "Viewing looks good for cities like Indianapolis, Detroit, Cleveland and possibly improving in Pittsburgh during the eclipse."

Best areas to watch with more sunshine will be eastern and northern New England, eastern Carolinas and Georgia, and a narrow band from southern New Mexico, central Plains and Ohio Valley. In addition, the viewing looks better in Florida and California, away from the path of totality.

"Major cities like Los Angeles, El Paso, New York City, Boston and Raleigh should all have nice views of the eclipse from start to finish," Pastelok said.

Source: Total solar eclipse cloud forecast: Will clouds spoil your view?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 10:01 am

While not perfect nothing more than a few high clouds expected. Of course as I have been reminded in the many online videos I have watched a partial eclipse even a 99 percent one is not close to total one.

The Rolling Stones have the best approach to these less than optimal situations. “ You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes, well, you might find
You get what you need”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 10:43 am

Three and a half hours before the total solar eclipse at my location. I went outside and the sky was clear. It was beautiful. I tried out my Solar Eclipse glasses. They worked fine. Boy the suns is so small when you look at it using these glasses.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 11:49 am

It looks like I was a little off in this discussion. I apologize. Christopher Columbus did not predict a solar eclipse but rather a lunar eclipse.

By the time Christopher Columbus sailed westward in 1492, navigators were already using hefty volumes containing astronomical tables to guide them across unknown seas. These books often included detailed instructions for manipulating navigational instruments and for computing geographical positions from celestial observations.

Columbus himself probably carried copies of two invaluable books. The “perpetual almanac” prepared by Abraham Zacuto contained more than 300 pages of astronomical tables that had already contributed to such navigational feats as Vasco da Gama’s famous expedition from Portugal around the tip of Africa to India. The second volume, called the Ephemerides, had been produced by the prominent German astronomer and mathematician Johannes Müller, who went by the Latin name Regiomontanus.

The astronomical tables that Columbus consulted during his voyage proved useful for determining latitude and, to some degree, longitude. A prediction contained in the tables probably saved his life at a crucial moment during his fourth voyage to the lands he had discovered.

Nearly 2 years after sailing from Cadiz in 1502, Columbus and his restless, disgruntled crew were stranded on the north coast of Jamaica, confined to worm-eaten, leaking ships. The native inhabitants were no longer awed by the newcomers. Annoyed by their voracious appetites and angry at the depredations of crew members, who had plundered several villages, the population was hostile and would no longer supply food.

Weary and ill, Columbus had withdrawn to his ship. There, he pondered his precarious situation. Returning to the stained pages of the Ephemerides, he noted Regiomontanus’s prediction of a total eclipse of the moon on Feb. 29, 1504.

Such an eclipse occurs only when the moon passes into Earth’s shadow. A lunar eclipse looks the same anywhere on Earth, but it occurs at different times, as measured by local clocks. Regiomontanus’s book contained not only the expected dates of eclipses but also diagrams illustrating how completely the moon would be covered and precise information about each eclipse’s duration and timing down to the hour.

Columbus had observed a lunar eclipse on an earlier voyage and had noticed discrepancies between the predictions made by Zacuto and those contained in the Ephemerides. Moreover, he had no reliable way of determining the correct local time of this particular projected eclipse. The times provided by Regiomontanus for its start and end were for Nuremberg, Germany.

Despite these uncertainties, Columbus was desperate enough to take a chance. On the day before the predicted eclipse, he summoned the leaders of the native inhabitants and warned them through an interpreter that if they did not cooperate with him, the moon would disappear from the sky on the following night.

The natives for the most part were unimpressed; some even laughed. Columbus nervously awaited the outcome of his gamble. Could he rely on tables that had been compiled several decades earlier and that predicted the positions of celestial bodies only for the years between 1475 and 1506? How large were the errors?

Amazingly, the prediction proved correct. As the full moon rose in the east on the appointed night, Earth’s shadow was already biting into its face. As the moon rose higher, the shadow became larger and more distinct until it completely obscured the moon, leaving nothing but a faint red disk in the sky.

The natives were sufficiently frightened by this unexpected occurrence and by Columbus’s uncanny prediction to beg forgiveness and appeal to him to restore their moon to the sky. Columbus responded that he wished to consult with his deity. He retired to his quarters, using a half-hour sandglass to time how long the eclipse would last. Some time later, when the eclipse had reached totality, he emerged to announce that the moon, in answer to his prayers, would gradually return to its normal brightness.

The next day, the natives brought food and did all they could to please Columbus and his crew. Columbus himself used the timing of the eclipse to calculate his ship’s longitude, but his answer proved wildly erroneous.

On June 29, 1504, a Spanish ship rescued Columbus’s stranded party, a year after it had beached on the Jamaican coast. A few months later, Columbus set sail for Spain, bringing to an end his voyages to the New World.

The success of Columbus’s strategem was a tribute to the accuracy of the calculations and predictions made by Regiomontanus, based on Ptolemy’s Earth-centered model of the solar system.

Such a dramatic episode didn’t escape the attention of novelists, who later used eclipse occurrences in a similar way to further their own plots. You’ll find the device in H. Rider Haggard’s King Solomon’s Mines, Mark Twain’s A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court, and even in Hergé’s Tintin adventure Prisoners of the Sun.

In some cases, the event is a solar rather than a lunar eclipse. And the details of the eclipse aren’t always astronomically correct, especially in the movie versions of the books.

Source: The Eclipse That Saved Columbus

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 1:00 pm

It has begun.

I looked outside at 1:56 P.M. and the solar eclipse has begun. The sky is fully cooperating with clear skies above.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 2:08 pm

jimmy m wrote:
It has begun.

I looked outside at 1:56 P.M. and the solar eclipse has begun. The sky is fully cooperating with clear skies above.

Nice! Glad you got a clear view since you're right in the path and all.

Skies are very evenly cloudy in all directions where I am.. not a patch of blue anywhere in any direction - just cloud cover and light rain. I'm at home at the moment and went around back of the house + the side, then looked out the front.. legit can't even tell where the Sun is in the sky at the moment to even know where the light source is coming from everything is so evenly covered in various shades of light grey and white clouds. I think the best anyone might notice here is that the skies get a bit dimmer for a while. I didn't give it much effort or time, maybe if you look around 360 degrees it's possible to spot where the Sun is I dunno - but even if you can you're not gonna see much of anything partial eclipse wise.. cloud cover is pretty thick and goes as far as I could see in all directions.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 2:20 pm

This was an interesting experience. The eclipse began at around 2 P.M. It was very warm outside. But at around 2:30 around 50% blockage, you could feel the temperatures had fallen. The total eclipse began at 3:04 P.M. By this time it was cold. The sun went completely dark. I took off my glasses. It was very beautiful. I could see the sun in total darkness. But there was a sliver of light that completely surrounded the sun. Then 4 minutes later, the suns light began to shine through. I had just seen a very rare event - a Total Solar Eclipse.

The edges of light around the sun were very beautiful to experience.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 2:36 pm

1. I call BS it's only 12:34pm right now. :p

2. That sliver of light around the edge of the Sun during an eclipse is called a "Corona." Now your cervezas with lime will taste like a sliver of Sunshine for the rest of your life. 8)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 3:05 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
1. I call BS it's only 12:34pm right now. :p

2. That sliver of light around the edge of the Sun during an eclipse is called a "Corona." Now your cervezas with lime will taste like a sliver of Sunshine for the rest of your life.)

Interesting. Do you not realize we are in different time zones. You are in Pacific Daylight time. I live in the Eastern Time Zone. They are 3 hours different. At the moment it is 3:51 P.M. in my timezone and 12:51 in your timezone.

Our planet Earth is a mighty large place.

At the moment, the eclipse is still ongoing. Slowly the sun is producing more and more light. Outside temperatures are heating up. I suspect that at around 4 P.M. (my time), life will return back to normal. So the total event lasted from start to finish around 2 hours with 4 minutes of total eclipse in the middle.

I am a little confused by what you meant by Corona. Perhaps you meant:

Last edited by jimmy m on 08 Apr 2024, 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 3:07 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
A niece of mine lives in the path of totality. They were pretty much right in the middle, but the predictions have shifted a bit.

The local school there is not having classes that day because they think it would be dark before some of the kids in the county could get home from school that day.

They are also suggesting that the locals who don't need to get out should get their shopping done early and stay home that day.

Fortunately, nobody is coming here to see the somewhat dark.

School is cancelled for something that will last four minutes?
I'm so confused by all the hoopla.

Is this different from the one in 2017?

I thought the same thing when a friend in Maine posted something similar on fb. Uuuuh, wtf? School's closed ?? Like a kid can't walk home in the dark or whatever. Bizarre.. how exactly is a brief bit of darkness from a shadow going to pose a danger to kids ??? Sounds more like an excuse for teachers to take a day off.

But w/e, maybe it'll result in more people who are able to getting together to have a little eclipse viewing party and make some memories.

There seems to be some confusion.

The arriving home in the dark was not about walking home in the dark, but taking an expected five hours or more for the school bus to be able to work through the traffic to get them home on what would normally take an hour or less.

(The above is a valid, but temporary, e-mail address that is relayed to my real e-mail. If it starts getting spammed, I'll just remove it and create a new one and change the signature block. If you want to send me an e-mail, feel free to do so, but be aware that unless you are using something like this, your e-mail address will be exposed to me.)

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 3:22 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
^Aah. That makes quite a bit more sense. Around here maybe 1-2% of kids take school buses - some "cross boundary," if schools are full or families move, others are all for private schools - and most of them are religious schools. But ~98% of kids live close to the schools they go to so Most can walk to school, yet there are ever more parents that drive their kids to school. (wtf?) but Almost All kids can simply walk or ride a bike/scooter to school. (It's crazy to me how many parents drive their kids to school when its only 6 blocks away or whatever.)

I spent 12 years riding a school bus two hours on school days -- one hour each way.

(The above is a valid, but temporary, e-mail address that is relayed to my real e-mail. If it starts getting spammed, I'll just remove it and create a new one and change the signature block. If you want to send me an e-mail, feel free to do so, but be aware that unless you are using something like this, your e-mail address will be exposed to me.)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 6:29 pm

Some high clouds filtered the sun from time to but that just added to the weird dimming effect of 90 percent totality. Maybe I was wrong about this but I did not bother with the glasses. I don't see the difference between seeing the crescent sun through glasses or seeing a picture or video of it on a screen. With those glasses, the sun is the only thing you see and like I said I was going for the dimming effect which I got. I got to see everybody else with those glasses looking a bit like they just got out of a New wave club circa 1982.

I had today marked on my calendar since the last eclipse ended in 2017. The event came and went so fast. This was it. I won't be around for the 2079 total one. Sad, but I can't complain. The weather cooperated no sure thing around here, especially with the very rainy pattern we have been having.

We had an earthquake and an eclipse 3 days apart. Both unusual events. Cool.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 6:54 pm

Here is one video of the total solar eclipse.