01 Mar 2024, 7:30 am

My prius is a hatchback if yoy fold the back seats down plenty of “trunk space”

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2024, 10:38 am

Fenn wrote:
My prius is a hatchback if yoy fold the back seats down plenty of “trunk space”

Ya the stats, even for the 2nd generation, say that the cargo area is more cubic feet then the trunk of my dodge.. but I'm not so sure about that tbh - not sure where they take their measurements from and to.. all the way up to the glass of the hatch? Anyways, that area Should be adequate. The only real downside is being Inside the car as a hatchback vs. separate trunk that can help contain dust. I can mitigate it by putting lids on 5 gallon buckets as well as a plastic/rubber floor liner and tossing a light beach blanket or something overtop of tools and things to keep dust down. With the seat down there is quite a bit of room. I just wouldn't want it down All The Time in order to have stuff with me and then never have room for passengers if I want it. Ideally the things I regularly have with me leave the seat up.

More room in a prius V.. however, I'd use Some of it some of the time and waste Most of it Most of the time and while they take less gas than my car, they're not as fuel efficient as the hatchback And the only few that are around the top end of my budget are with 400-600k kms on them and another with a rebuilt title that's at like 282k or something.. and still more expensive than hatches And use more fuel.

I did sit in a hatchback one yesterday, a 2014, that the insurance broker employee had. I can fit in it just fine as the seat lowers nicely. (I'm 6'2" ~225lbs at the moment - need to slim down.) Pretty sure I can stand 6 5 gallon buckets up in the hatch area and close the hatch - just can't close the little fabric cover over the storage area as buckets would be taller. The older one I plan to look at has a bit smaller cargo area than that one, but still (apparently) larger than the dodge dart trunk. (which is hard to see how they conclude that.. are they counting the square footage of the glovebox and centre console too? I dunno.)

Other cargo space considerations:

I don't Have To have as many tools and things with me at all times as I typically did in my car trunk. It was really just convenient to keep things stored there vs. take up space in the garage at home. Plus then I would have pretty much anything I could need w/o having to wait until the next day or go get different tools. Some of the tools I carry are seldom ever used - I don't Need them all and Could certainly be more of a minimalist if I have to.

I do also still have the very large Thule rooftop box that flew off my car. I'd get new/used parts to mount it to a prius. I could then reconfigure what tools and things I pack in it. I could pack less of some things I seldom ever use and mostly store in it, and put more of the necessary things in there to keep them out of the interior of the car.

We do still have my father's truck. If I do a job where I Need to take a bunch of bigger stuff, then I drive it to deliver things and again to pick them up - like a baker scaffold that I have on a job site right now. Or larger materials orders, saw horses/ladders/planks etc.

I'm going to take a tape measure with me and Maybe an empty 5 gallon bucket since I mostly keep tools and materials inside them. I Think a 2nd gen prius will have similar cargo carrying space to my last car. I don't think I could really downsize to something like a smart car, though. Not enough room. Only need enough, not tons of extra room for no reason other than Once in a while it's convenient to move something or haul a bunch of passengers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2024, 9:26 pm

Made an appointment to go see a Japanese import RHD Prius tmw morning ~10am even though I haven't sold my van or gotten paid out for my car yet. I mean, I already have 3.. what's the harm in adding a 4th vehicle in my name right now? :p

Mainly I wanna go see This specific car Because if I'm gonna buy a prius of this generation then it's very likely going to be this specific one. So, if I want it I'll make a deal on it tmw morning. Maybe put a deposit down and ask for a bit of time to get a cheque/sell the van - and then if whatever time frame that is passes and neither have happened yet, I'll just go buy it But I'll be that much closer to either selling the van or getting paid out for my totalled car.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2024, 6:28 pm

Made an agreement to buy the Prius in the next few days. Just need to get funds in order and do paperwork etc. Then my fuel bill will go down vs up, and the fuel savings will pay for the difference in value over my last car in a few years and the car would completely pay for itself in fuel savings in about 7 years.

But if I compare it to driving the truck I’m driving today, then the car completely pays for itself in less than 2 years, 1.5 or so.

The only cons:

Right hand drive (tolerable) making resale more difficult, but at least it’s automatic.

No sunroof - oh well, hard to find in these cars at all.

Pros:

It’s basically a brand new car (still has some protective plastic on the interior from when it was new, a few things have been replaced already so it is like new) and has a few features local cars if its generation didn’t have - including a height adjustable seat so I can drive it. To have that in a Canadian market car I would have to buy a newer one that’s high milage or has a rebuilt title etc to be affordable.

Blah blah blah. Will get my roof rack installed on it, add all weather floor mats and cargo liner and scotchguard the seats and put covers on them right away.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2024, 6:29 pm

Congrats.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2024, 8:21 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Congrats.

Thx! 8)

Here’s the car in question:

https://www.facebook.com/share/n4pA2YpF ... tid=79PoIi

I Should be able to get cash within 24-72h and complete the purchase.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2024, 9:38 pm

the right hand drive will give you practice for if you choose to emigrate to some other Commonwealth nation where they drive on the wrong side.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2024, 10:02 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the right hand drive will give you practice for if you choose to emigrate to some other Commonwealth nation where they drive on the wrong side.

lol true I guess
I already own a rhd van
And more likely it’ll just give me experience I can use if I travel for business or pleasure. Doubt I would ever relocate permanently.. love it here.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 12:26 am

Bought it today. Got it insured. Need to get the roof rack parts to put my Thule box on top and find whatever the best rubber floor mats and cargo area mat are for it. Also seat covers asap, too. And I'll scotch guard the fabric first.

I might even keep burning 3x as much gas driving the truck for work related things until I get those things in place in the car.. would Hate to mess up the interior with drywall dust or mud before I get proper rubber floor mats and vinyl seat covers in place. Rather burn an extra tank of gas in the truck while I source all that stuff for the new to me Like New prius.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 12:35 pm

Holy moly.. finding all weather floor mats for a RHD 2006 Prius is proving a bit challenging. Might have to ship from Japan or New Zealand or something.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 3:18 am

I have definitely spent far too much time reading ads for car floor mats lol :roll: buuuut thing is if I'm gonna order something from overseas that fits this right hand drive car then I want it to be something that's going to last that I'll be happy with.

So far I don't see Any brands of "typical," (rubber and the like) all weather floor mats for right hand drive versions of This car - maybe too old ? Or I just haven't found any. There are a few great options for left hand drive versions.. but no luck for this car.

Checked out a bunch of eBay and amazon ads for fake quilted leather diamond pattern floor mats.. that apparently is a thing ? Never seen a car with them. Anyways, there's a big range in price from Chinese sellers from like $60USD-$150USD+ and I wonder if they're all about the same with different prices.. or if there's a real difference.

Then I found some guy's post about getting one of those cheap $150usd sets in his car and that they fit Okay, not perfect, but over all he's happy with them. In the discussion thread below he mentions that if you want Nice ones you buy the original brand called Manicci or another high end brand called F1Mats (that's changing their name to X1Mats.. probably because the racing organisation's lawyers told them to lol) so I looked them up.. F1Mats is based in Delaware.. and Manicci is from the city I live in and they have a showroom here. I'm gonna go there and see if they have a file for my car or if they'd 3D laser scan it and custom make mats for me. I bet they will do whatever you pay them to do hah. Prices are higher, but, "You get what you pay for." If they FIT properly and safely AND they protect everything and last way longer then it's a better deal than living with something ill fitting that doesn't last very long, costing more in the long run. Also, I've learned that even with good rubber floor mats LOTS of sand ends up in the carpets.. soooo covering them almost completely and vacuuming more often = not ruining carpets.

Googled up some reviews for seat covers, too - found a current Forbes best of list and at a glance the ones they rate the highest seem like they might be really good for only a bit more money than ones I considered ordering from overseas. Considering the gauntlet I can put a car interior through, it's worth having something even better to protect it than I had on my last car. Granted, the floor mats and trunk cover were pretty good - rubber - just didn't cover the entire carpets.. but the seat covers, while functional, certainly did look like cheap s**t I bought at Cambodian Tire for about $69 because it was. It worked, though. But this time round I simply want something that's "better," functioning/feeling/Looking etc.

Undecided on a cargo liner yet.. might go with rubber/plastic if I can find a Quality one due to the nature of the tools and materials I put in the back. I think the "luxury," ones would just be kind of a pita to clean vs. spraying a rubber/plastic one off with the hose.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 8:20 am

You seem to do more with your cars than I do with mine. Scotchgard the seats? Wow.

Any Way

Congratulations on your new Prius.

My Prius gets 50 to 60 miles per gallon. My van gets 17.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 11:10 am

Fenn wrote:
You seem to do more with your cars than I do with mine. Scotchgard the seats? Wow.

Any Way

Congratulations on your new Prius.

My Prius gets 50 to 60 miles per gallon. My van gets 17.

My last new car got some stains and things before I ever bothered to clean, scotchguard, and put seat covers on. Live and learn.

Plus this one has a beige interior and a “finer,” softer fabric. I think it would get absolutely ruined by drywall dust/mud and beach sand. I don’t tend to drive in muddy dusty clothes but once in a blue moon maybe a bit - I change clothes before I drive. But still, it’s almost like Brand New inside and out so may as well protect it better than I did my last car. Figured I’d scotchguard the seats and carpets right away (although I’m not gonna do it every 3 months like they say to.. imagine spending $60 on scotchguard every 3 months lol F off) and I’m gonna get seat covers etc sorted out and the rooftop box on before I drive it for work so I can absolutely minimize any drywall mess or beach sand.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 1:16 pm

Oooh found another local company that sells proper fitting car seat covers for my car - like really proper fitting and recommended for taxi use. Expensive compared to cheap (looking and costing) universal car seat covers that do the job of protecting.. but Look ~almost factory. Might splurge and buy them.. hella pricey compared to cheap ones, But compared to other brands of proper fitting ones they're actually at the lower end of pricing, especially compared to some brand from Hawaii that seems to be popular - but holy crap they're over $1000 USD for a full set. 8O That's wild and not for me even if I liked them better, which I don't.

Blah blah blah miiiiight have covers and mats sorted if I pull the trigger and buy this stuff, then just the cargo liner and rooftop box supports to go to have everything kitted out ready for daily use.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 2:09 pm

Whoa sorry on the Nose 8O ..( possible excuse for a nose job ?). please avoid current VWs if you want longevity..
Chiropractor friend has gone through 2 in last 2 yrs. Due to poor quality rings in motor. Best wishes on finding that good deal in used cars ? or even new ? . Toyota is always best bet . Awe your poor car.. not a good candidate for ressurection ..?( repair). Sadley ? Personally from sources , i have known like the older Seinna s...And camrys ,etc.
Seinna might attract less attn. for scavengers looking for free tools , late at night. Hope you recover Well .. :ninja: :heart:

where ever you go ,there you are

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 4:09 pm

Jakki wrote:
Whoa sorry on the Nose 8O ..( possible excuse for a nose job ?). please avoid current VWs if you want longevity..
Chiropractor friend has gone through 2 in last 2 yrs. Due to poor quality rings in motor. Best wishes on finding that good deal in used cars ? or even new ? . Toyota is always best bet . Awe your poor car.. not a good candidate for ressurection ..?( repair). Sadley ? Personally from sources , i have known like the older Seinna s...And camrys ,etc.
Seinna might attract less attn. for scavengers looking for free tools , late at night. Hope you recover Well .. :ninja: :heart:

Sienna is almost as much of a gas pig as the 4x4 truck I’m driving now, so, no.

I already bought a 2006 Japanese import RHD Toyota Prius with everything that needs replacing replaced. It has 22,500 kms on it (13,975 miles) and is basically a brand new 18 year old car. Gonna put the roof box on it and get carpet and seat covers asap etc.