Homeless dude in my front yard

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2024, 11:16 pm

Today when I was clocked out for lunch, my sister texted me that my neighbors said that there was a homeless dude in my front yard and the neighbors told him to leave. My sister owns the house I live in. She lives in her own house 15 miles away with her family. I live alone. I am autistic. My sister told me "watch out and be careful. Don't just hide in the house when you are at home."

Who told her I was "hiding in the house", the neighbors? (They are the same neighbors who let their dogs into my backyard). And since when has being inside your house "hiding"? Besides, what am I supposed to do, hide outside my house? If I were outside my house, that would make it easier for criminals to exterminate or vandalize my worthless corpse. (But that is just my opinion. Not a fact, law, or geometric proof).

I have to leave the house sooner or later, especially since I have work. But what if I were to have asked the homeless to leave my front yard and then he physically injured my worthless corpse?

Expanding your comfort zone is sometimes a good thing, but I suspect that, in this case, no matter what you are "comfortable" with, it's still not good enough.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2024, 11:59 pm

I think your sister is asking you to make him move on,

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 12:01 am

If someone is trespassing on your property (or your sister's property but you live there) and they feel threatening to you, you can always call the police.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 12:06 am

bee33 wrote:
If someone is trespassing on your property (or your sister's property but you live there) and they feel threatening to you, you can always call the police.

Assuming he's sitting under a tree picking his nose, Usual sequence for the cops
1. confront homeless dude
2. He does not leave
3. Ask him again
4. He does not leave
5. call the cops

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 12:36 am

cyberdad wrote:
bee33 wrote:

Assuming he's sitting under a tree picking his nose, Usual sequence for the cops
2. He does not leave
3. Ask him again
4. He does not leave
5. call the cops

I live in America. I would be much more worried about the cops roughly dragging him away in handcuffs and throwing him in jail, possibly hurting him in the process. Or possibly even killing him if he seems belligerent. I avoid calling the cops unless it's an absolute last resort. But if the OP doesn't know what to do, it could be an option.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 2:30 am

bee33 wrote:
I live in America. I would be much more worried about the cops roughly dragging him away in handcuffs and throwing him in jail, possibly hurting him in the process. Or possibly even killing him if he seems belligerent. I avoid calling the cops unless it's an absolute last resort. But if the OP doesn't know what to do, it could be an option.

It's not just cops. There's a homeless dude who's taken up residence at a large shopping mall in Melbourne, I think he has schizophrenia and hears voices. He scares people and leaves his belongings near the entrance of the mall. The mall security are often following him around to make sure he doesn't scare customers. But yeah, cops and mall cops don't touch him.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 2:36 am

cyberdad wrote:
bee33 wrote:

It's not just cops. There's a homeless dude who's taken up residence at a large shopping mall in Melbourne, I think he has schizophrenia and hears voices. He scares people and leaves his belongings near the entrance of the mall. The mall security are often following him around to make sure he doesn't scare customers. But yeah, cops and mall cops don't touch him.
Again, you're describing what happens in Australia. In America, that is not what happens.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 10:59 pm

cyberdad wrote:
bee33 wrote:

2. He does not leave
3. Ask him again
4. He does not leave
5. call the cops

The cops might not come.
The cops might take so long to come that the homeless dude already gone.
The cops might not do anything
The homeless dude might overreact and vandalize my worthless corpse
The homeless dude might take out revenge on me

Then what?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 6:05 am

Is he gone yet?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 7:33 am

Does your sister mean that your house appears like no one lives there? Is that what she means by not hiding inside? Is she suggesting that if you were more visible then your front yard wouldn't be attracting homeless people?

Just trying to read between the lines here.

If he's still there you should go out and talk to him. He might become your new best friend. Or maybe the neighbours dogs could chase him off?

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 9:10 am

I think people being homeless is a big problem. I understand you don't like him being in your front yard, but where are homeless people supposed to spend their time?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 7:16 pm

BillyTree wrote:
I think people being homeless is a big problem. I understand you don't like him being in your front yard, but where are homeless people supposed to spend their time?
NIMFY/NIMBY/NIMH.

Those who believe that homeless people should be housed on private property should first invite a homeless person to live in their homes and at their expense.

Within a year, they will have become so disgusted with homeless people that their contempt for homeless people will have become freely evident.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 8:14 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
Does your sister mean that your house appears like no one lives there? Is that what she means by not hiding inside? Is she suggesting that if you were more visible then your front yard wouldn't be attracting homeless people?

Just trying to read between the lines here.

If he's still there you should go out and talk to him. He might become your new best friend. Or maybe the neighbours dogs could chase him off?

__________________________________________________________________________________

the homeless dude is gone as of right now. maybe, sooner or later, that homeless dude or other ones will come visit. there are not that many homeless around where i live, but i also live in a relatively low cost of living area. due to coronavirus, recently, costs have been skyrocketing and salaries are not rising in proportion.

my house doesn't look different from other houses in the area, with the exception: most houses have more residents, plenty of houses have dogs, and almost all houses have cars. right now, i do not have any of them. on the other hand, if i had a car, maybe someone would already have stolen it. not everyone has dogs, although it does seem like plenty of them do.

and how do i "be more visible"? do i have to move my cradle to the front porch, in order to "be more visible"?

besides, if i were more "visible", precious lil "people" could just vandalize or exterminate my worthless corpse and while i am inside my house i am slightly less endangered.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 4:02 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
bee33 wrote:

2. He does not leave
3. Ask him again
4. He does not leave
5. call the cops

The cops might not come.
The cops might take so long to come that the homeless dude already gone.
The cops might not do anything
The homeless dude might overreact and vandalize my worthless corpse
The homeless dude might take out revenge on me

Then what?

All valid. But eventually you gotta call the cops

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 7:46 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
and how do i "be more visible"? do i have to move my cradle to the front porch, in order to "be more visible"?

besides, if i were more "visible", precious lil "people" could just vandalize or exterminate my worthless corpse and while i am inside my house i am slightly less endangered.

Yeah, sorry that was a bit vague. I don't mean you literally have to sit out front of your house. What I was getting at was that transients are often attracted by decay, because if a place looks like it isn't looked after, or frequently visited they're likely to get less hassle there.

Things like an unmown lawn, detritus in your front yard, broken fences, overgrown weeds on paths, curtains always closed, peeling paintwork etc. make a place look uninhabited.

I'm not saying that's the case at your place, I'm just wondering if that's what your sister meant by 'be more visible'.

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 1:35 pm

Fnord wrote:
NIMFY/NIMBY/NIMH..

FFSSUSA