Why does kiss have such a bad reputation?

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 1:34 pm

cyberdad wrote:
You have to remember that KISS had an army (Kiss army) which were the first real fanatic uber-fans.

Nowadays it's common for bands/singers have such an armada of lunatic/fanatic fans. For example Niki Minaj superfans are called "Barbz"

Korean super group BTS fans are called the BTS army

Even Taylor Swift has fanatics called Swifties.

All of these superfans have in common a tendency to be toxic and venomous when they think their icon is being made fun off in social media.

The ‘Deadheads’ (Grateful Dead) emerged at the same time if not predated the ‘Kiss Army’ in this realm. Before there was certainly fanatics and fan clubs but that was “we love the same band” rather then group identity based on being fans of a band. Wikipedia dates the term to the name of a mailing list and its identification as a phenomenon to 1971 which predates KISS. I don’t remember any self identifying Deadheads in high school(1971-1975). My classmates were into British Progressive Rock groups especially Yes and Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Led Zeppelin also. I can not say for sure in that in other high schools and in colleges people did not self identify as deadheads. I first remember people calling themselves Deadheads when I was in college which cooccurred with the ‘KISS Army’.

Back more on topic while pedophilia is not accepted in the music industry as it was when KISS had a hit with ”Christine Sixteen”, they have been slower than the rest of the entertainment industry in terms of not accepting sexism and misogyny.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 10:17 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The ‘Deadheads’ (Grateful Dead) emerged at the same time if not predated the ‘Kiss Army’ in this realm. Before there was certainly fanatics and fan clubs but that was “we love the same band” rather then group identity based on being fans of a band. Wikipedia dates the term to the name of a mailing list and its identification as a phenomenon to 1971 which predates KISS. I don’t remember any self identifying Deadheads in high school(1971-1975). My classmates were into British Progressive Rock groups especially Yes and Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Led Zeppelin also. I can not say for sure in that in other high schools and in colleges people did not self identify as deadheads. I first remember people calling themselves Deadheads when I was in college which cooccurred with the ‘KISS Army’.

All true, but at least in Australia KISS were the first real "supergroup" with a massive fan base that i remember. Don't forget this is pre-internet so the negative reputation they generated went viral but through newspapers and television news. It was easy to pick the makeup/costumes - they were scary to an older generation > Led Zeppelin or Deadheads, Kind of like the how the punk movement had a bad reputation.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 10:20 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Back more on topic while pedophilia is not accepted in the music industry as it was when KISS had a hit with ”Christine Sixteen”, they have been slower than the rest of the entertainment industry in terms of not accepting sexism and misogyny.

Oh we have sporting codes like Rugby (British version of American football) and Australian Rules Football where the players and their fans are stuck in the 1950s when it comes to sexism and misogyny.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 10:23 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

entAll true, but at least in Australia KISS were the first real "supergroup" with a massive fan base that i remember. Don't forget this is pre-internet so the negative reputation they generated went viral but through newspapers and television news. It was easy to pick the makeup/costumes - they were scary to an older generation > Led Zeppelin or Deadheads, Kind of like the how the punk movement had a bad reputation.

Over here prior to KISS it was Alice Cooper not only with makeup but with the female name and the horror themed stage shows that terrified parents. KISS was treated by the media more with bemusement than fear. Thinking back the late ‘70s the conservatives had nothing. The war they had backed ended in humiliating defeat, Their “Law and Order” president had resigned in disgrace, despite two decades of trying to cancel rock music it was as popular as ever so complaining about it seemed pathetic. Disco was hated and canceled but that was intergenerational, adults kind of liked it because it brought back elements of older style dancing.

“Rock and Roll all Nite” hit big when I was starting my freshman year. It was the perfect anthem for its time. At that point we had not seen what they looked like. During the remainder of my college years they were played a lot on the radio, written about a lot but I have no recollection of anybody playing their albums or talking about them.

Off Topic
The Grateful Dead and Southern Rock were the biggest things. Besides the Dead, another 60s rooted group that was big despite being defunct were ‘The Doors’. Some people were into jazz rock artists like Chuck Mangione. Disco had a following among women. Guys had the hots for Linda Ronstadt while her posters adorned dorm room walls I don’t remember anybody playing or claiming to like her music.

Now when we think of 1976, 1977, 1978 musically we think of punk and new wave. At the time those genres had once a week one hour show on the college radio station. It was the wrong time for it here. It was political music during an apolitical inward looking era, it emphasized raw amateur ethos at a time when the classical music trained progressive rock era had just ended, the DIY and experimental nature of it clashed with the “corporate rock” emphases on mass appeal. Besides what was appealing about people spitting at the musicians, bondage gear and swastikas? The music was much more that is what the press discussed and since they were not played on the radio that is all we knew about it. It would be ‘The Cars’ the most Classic Rock sounding of the New wave bands would break through in late ‘78.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 11:18 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
[
Over here prior to KISS it was Alice Cooper not only with makeup but with the female name and the horror themed stage shows that terrified parents. KISS was treated by the media more with bemusement than fear. Thinking back the late ‘70s the conservatives had nothing. The war they had backed ended in humiliating defeat, Their “Law and Order” president had resigned in disgrace, despite two decades of trying to cancel rock music it was as popular as ever so complaining about it seemed pathetic. Disco was hated and canceled but that was intergenerational, adults kind of liked it because it brought back elements of older style dancing.

Alice cooper seemed to be rolled into the same category as KISS. Disco was frowned upon in Australia as a place where boys would take drugs and girls ended up getting pregnant. The drug culture in disco was a prelude to the rave and electropop scene where drug use is rampant.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 11:20 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
“Rock and Roll all Nite” hit big when I was starting my freshman year. It was the perfect anthem for its time. At that point we had not seen what they looked like. During the remainder of my college years they were played a lot on the radio, written about a lot but I have no recollection of anybody playing their albums or talking about them. \

For some reason roller-boogie and roller-disco were really popular in the late 70s and beginning of the 80s. By the mid 80s electropop and indi- rock bands like ACDC, Cold Chisel and INXS etc became a thing, The father of electro-pop was a guy called Gary Numan who had a huge following and was an Aspie.

Comet Zed
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 7:39 pm

I never liked their music, always thought their outfits were terrible and every kiss fan I've ever met wanted to ram it down everyone else's throat. I remember turning up for a university lecture once and a fellow classmate brought in his stereo and started blasting kiss while we were all waiting quietly, then got his pants in a twist when everyone told him to FO. :roll:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 11:25 pm

All gimmick and no talent. Thats what folks of the Seventies' time woulda said. Hiding behind those silly grease paint face masks of theirs.

But they were no more 'talent impaired' than your average metal band of the time.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 1:29 am

naturalplastic wrote:
All gimmick and no talent. Thats what folks of the Seventies' time woulda said. Hiding behind those silly grease paint face masks of theirs.

But they were no more 'talent impaired' than your average metal band of the time.

They were over-hyped but KISS and their "funny dressed" ounterparts like Def Lepard, ZZ top and Van Halen did have catchy tunes

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

17 Mar 2024, 1:58 am

To me, Kiss is something you like when your 12-13 but you eventually outgrow it (well some do). Cheesy songs and lyrics, no substance, and superficial.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 10:33 am

It was not just the costumes and makeup, it was sticking their tongue out, oral sex imitation.

Musically they were better than is being described here. In the ‘70s in the wake of the Beatles innovations and the ensuing Progressive Rock there were critics and some fans had the notion that rock musicians were in the same league as Bach and Beethoven. In other words they become rock snobs looking down upon acts they viewed as beneath them. While in the UK punk overthrew that idea, in America that view of rock held on longer. While Progressive rock has its place rock was designed to be rebellious, catchy, and fun and that is what KISS was. They were a good 70s styled hard rock act with a well above average moving power balled “Beth”.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Mar 2024, 5:15 pm

This is Kiss now :lol:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2024, 4:42 am

King Kat 1 wrote:
To me, Kiss is something you like when your 12-13 but you eventually outgrow it (well some do). Cheesy songs and lyrics, no substance, and superficial.

Well said! I'll second that.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 12:18 pm

King Kat 1 wrote:

Agreed, Marilyn Manson for Boomers. :nerdy:

Why yes, that does make Marilyn Manson Kiss for millennials.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う