Regression, Burnout and Special Interests

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Vander571
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Mar 2024, 3:26 pm

I believe I have been in a constant state of burnout these past few years and suffering from Autistic Regression. Basically I have been masking my whole life and trying to meet the needs of society and what is expected all while battling an assortment of disabilities I never knew I had, from Alexithymia to sensory issues, processing and learning disorders, meltdowns, shutdows, executive dysfunction and so much more (including CPTSD).

All until a point where my mind and body came to a crashing halt. I basically lost my ability to do everything I used to do, the way I used to do it.

I have been gradually reteaching myself my own skills, mostly involved around special interests (creative work) but also general life skills and daily self care. It is a slow process and I have some horrible rotten days where my brain just doesn't work at all. But then the next day is often better.

However I find that as soon as I stop engaging in special interests, stop one to work on another or get sidetracked, I seem to quickly regress. Then it can take ages to reconnect with that interest or skill again, like it all has been forgotten.

Being consistent seems to be the key here, a little everyday so to speak.

Has anyone else suffered from long term burnout or regression involving loss of skills, memory etc.?

I don't have Autism, I was born this way. I'm simply called an Autistic.

Comet Zed
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 3:40 pm

That's pretty much what lead me to getting diagnosed, eventually.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 4:08 pm

Vander571 wrote:
I believe I have been in a constant state of burnout these past few years and suffering from Autistic Regression. Basically I have been masking my whole life and trying to meet the needs of society and what is expected all while battling an assortment of disabilities I never knew I had, from Alexithymia to sensory issues, processing and learning disorders, meltdowns, shutdows, executive dysfunction and so much more (including CPTSD).

All until a point where my mind and body came to a crashing halt. I basically lost my ability to do everything I used to do, the way I used to do it.

I have been gradually reteaching myself my own skills, mostly involved around special interests (creative work) but also general life skills and daily self care. It is a slow process and I have some horrible rotten days where my brain just doesn't work at all. But then the next day is often better.

However I find that as soon as I stop engaging in special interests, stop one to work on another or get sidetracked, I seem to quickly regress. Then it can take ages to reconnect with that interest or skill again, like it all has been forgotten.

Being consistent seems to be the key here, a little everyday so to speak.

Has anyone else suffered from long term burnout or regression involving loss of skills, memory etc.?

It is not going to be easy going forward, but you have taken an important step in recognizing the problem.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman