What is a problem that an NT caused, and did not realize...

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

justanotherpersonsomewhere23124
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Mar 2024, 9:37 pm

...and did not realize that they were the one causing it?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 1:36 am

I've ended up hating high school and up to the minute things because a few flakey kids would only let me into their clique if I wore the latest fashion trends and the latest hairstyles. I gave up and decided to be true to myself instead. I'm glad I made that decision.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 1:21 pm

I guess a good example was when I was naive enough to visit my wife's family on Thanksgiving Day. Her sister led this ritual thing where everybody was given gifts in turn and everybody else's attention was focussed strongly on whoever was receiving their gifts at the time, even to the point of some of them capturing it in close-up on their phones for uploading to social media. I can usually just about hide it when somebody gives me something I don't want, and I can usually blend into the background and get ignored when I'm feeling uncomfortable in company, but this time there was no hiding place.

Nobody said anything about my expressions or body language, but under those circumstances I couldn't believe my negative feelings were going by unnoticed, which further fed into my embarrassment. I had to use a lot of painful self-control to get through it without ruining the occasion for them, and they must have noticed I didn't like the procedure. The whole thing was horrible. But my wife is the only one who has any idea what I went through, and I don't think even she understood it very well. Americans are used to Thanksgiving rituals, but to me it was a disturbing culture shock. I suppose the cultural difference was partly responsible, but I think if I'd not had ASD then I'd have been able to cope with it much better. I'd have been able to fake enthusiasm and empathise with their reverence for ritual.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 3:27 pm

Just anyone being too talkative about me.

Since they do not realize it?
I have to make do.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 5:38 pm

NTs cause constant problems for themselves and others. I love to watch the hilarity unfurl.

I am one of them and I do it all the time, but am aware. And sometimes do it on purpose, so I guess I don't count.

I tell you something I do that is Helpful and not a Problem to autists, however. Sometimes I catch other neurotypicals (or other autists) being unkind or somehow slighting an autistic person and I don't like it. I will step in with my superior social skills and manipulate the "loser" into looking cool and the mean person into looking insignificant.