Tik Tok will be banned by the United States again.

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 12:13 pm

US lawmakers are moving forward with proposals to ban TikTok unless it cuts ties with its Chinese parent company amid claims the platform could be used to spy on Americans and manipulate public opinion.

A U.S. House of Representatives committee voted 50-0 on Thursday to approve the bill, setting the stage for a possible full vote in the near future.

House Majority Leader Steve Scalise said on the X that he will bring "key national security bills" to the House floor for a vote next week.

The bill, sponsored by Republican Mike Gallagher, would give Beijing-based ByteDance about six months to spin off or face a ban.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 7:23 pm

I read about Tik Tok was banned from one state already. I know about spying on people. I never went on Tik Tok. Too bad celebrities are on it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 10:10 pm

I've never used TikTok, but isn't there a way that any spy software (if there is any) could simply be removed from the app?

On the other hand, no TikTok = no Libs of TikTok.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 10:18 pm

I never used TikTok. Is TikTok really linked to the CCP or is that exaggerated by the US government trying to rankle China's feathers?

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 11:14 pm

The overlap between users of our website and users of Tik Tok is so low.What factors does this depend on? Age, region, occupation or income?

Of course, it's also possible that this is just an unstable phase. In China, it was also considered low-intelligence at first, but then everyone who owned a mobile phone had to use it.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 11:21 pm

belijojo wrote:
The overlap between users of our website and users of Tik Tok is so low.What factors does this depend on? Age, region, occupation or income?

Of course, it's also possible that this is just an unstable phase. In China, it was also considered low-intelligence at first, but then everyone who owned a mobile phone had to use it.

I'm starting to think maybe the US government really is just using TikTok as a kind of scapegoat to deflect from our own biggest blunders in recent years. It feels like the Cold War BS all over again...

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 1:25 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
belijojo wrote:

I'm starting to think maybe the US government really is just using TikTok as a kind of scapegoat to deflect from our own biggest blunders in recent years. It feels like the Cold War BS all over again...

..but then again China has it's tentacles wrapped around a Lot of different things in a Lot of different countries as it works to influence them and change opinions about China around the world in it's very long game plan of complete domination. It isn't out of the question that they would use a popular app to manipulate people.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 2:09 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
belijojo wrote:

..but then again China has it's tentacles wrapped around a Lot of different things in a Lot of different countries as it works to influence them and change opinions about China around the world in it's very long game plan of complete domination. It isn't out of the question that they would use a popular app to manipulate people.

I think you're right... hell they've already done this through both Quora and Reddit.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 11:20 am

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

I think you're right... hell they've already done this through both Quora and Reddit.

In a struggle for complete domination between the US and China, which side deserves to win?

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 12:16 pm

MaxE wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

In a struggle for complete domination between the US and China, which side deserves to win?

I have no idea at this point...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 4:44 pm

What are teenagers going to do without Tik tok?

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 5:02 pm

PLEASE

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2024, 2:31 am

for some 16 year olds it might be the coming of the apocalypse.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2024, 2:52 am

belijojo wrote:
Tik Tok will be banned by the United States again.
Big, fat, hairy deal.

I feel underwhelmed by this news.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2024, 4:12 am

A lot of business gets conducted via Tik Tok nowadays, although for those of us over 65, it's not on our radar.