Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 7:31 pm

Why is it hard for Aspergers to do things even little things? It’s can be hard to remember to brush my teeth, brush my hair, change my underwear, order groceries when I have & other things. I wish it was easy to brush your teeth, even my arm can get tired of holding my toothbrush. It can be hard to bend my legs, alot of the time my legs can’t bend, cuz of my Cerebral Palsy, it can feel like my legs are half paralyzed & people need to change their underwear every single day, people need to brush their teeth every day & brush their hair too, I can forget too. A few times I almost forgot to locks my front door. Doing the same things everyday are hard for me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 7:23 pm

We often have problems starting new things, stopping what we are doing to start a new task, time management, setting priorities which makes it difficult to plan our days. All of this falls under the category of Executive Dysfunction. Nobody likes to do things that are unpleasant. Our sensory sensitivities make more things unpleasent.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Comet Zed
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 8:47 pm

Try to make a routine for yourself, it makes it easier.

Nelbel
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Mar 2024, 11:07 am

The only way to look at this part of ASD and physical limitations is I am forever bound to this moment. Even if I am locked in my mind I am fully experiencing every minute of living because if I don't pay attention I could get hurt. Physical disabilities are a full time job. They require working to live. The way to fix struggling with life routines is to fully experience the routine things. Get toothpaste you love, the best towel for a dry off experience [I have small, light, white, 100% cotton towels...I use 3 per shower...sit on, hair wrap, dry off...I don't use fabric softener on them so they stay very absorbent]. Fully engage with all events. I have accepted that life is hard and I have to turn multiple difficulties into pleasant moments. These moments are only my moments. Accept I am struggling to do anything, everything either hurts or I can't do it. I accept no one is living this with me, even though they think they are...they aren't. Find the music in your life and move with it, not with anything else.

Be ok

“I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it is for or against. I'm a human being, first and foremost, and as such I'm for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole.”

― Malcolm X

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 11:28 am

Don't be afraid to seek support to help you with your independence, Kitty. It does sound like you might need it.