Does it matter if my car is not a fancy ferrari e.g.?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 11:14 am

I seem to think that because of social media and so on, men are ''expected'' like with other things, to have even a nice fancy car rather than just a car that isn't as fancy as for example: a ferrari, vauxhall, volkswagen etc. I even seem to think that some men like fast fancy cars not just because its a car, but as though its going to attract the opposite sex to them. My car is an automatic silver ford fiesta which I've had for 5 or 6 years. Me and my dad have been looking around for another automatic car but so far haven't been successful. I seem to think though should it really matter what someone's car looks like. It probably does matter if you are driving one that looks tatty, old and bits coming off but if there isn't surely it shouldn't matter.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 11:32 am

chris1989 wrote:
I seem to think that because of social media and so on, men are ''expected'' like with other things, to have even a nice fancy car rather than just a car that isn't as fancy as for example: a ferrari, vauxhall, volkswagen etc. I even seem to think that some men like fast fancy cars not just because its a car, but as though its going to attract the opposite sex to them. My car is an automatic silver ford fiesta which I've had for 5 or 6 years. Me and my dad have been looking around for another automatic car but so far haven't been successful. I seem to think though should it really matter what someone's car looks like. It probably does matter if you are driving one that looks tatty, old and bits coming off but if there isn't surely it shouldn't matter.

It depends on you. Some people like expensive cars and so prioritize having one. Others don't like to go into debt and so prioritize a car they can afford.

I can tell you that if someone didn't like me because my car was old or inexpensive, or even a little dirty...I wouldn't want them around. Having said that, I'd still keep the interior clean and as well maintained as I could just for my own sense of pride.

Last edited by DanielW on 10 Mar 2024, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Mar 2024, 1:04 pm

Cars are sometimes used as status symbols. Sometimes that can be very misleading because someone can run up a cr@p ton of debt buying expensive cars & other things while someone else could be living a very comfortable lifestyle by focusing on mostly spending for their needs.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 1:56 pm

There's reasons to like 'cool' cars that don't involve impressing women, ya'know?

I don't think the stereotypical bimbo you have in mind is likely to be impressed by a $1500 Ferrari with an RX-7 engine and a Nissan Silvia face grafted on. A project like this would take a lot more time than buying a high end sports car that runs, but that's not a good starting point for building a hot rod.

There's people who buy cool cars just because they're flashy status symbols, but other people buy or build them because they like cars. Brands like Ferrari and Mclaren have long legacies in motorsports, owning one of their cars is a way of having some of that legacy in your own garage.

More pedestrian brands also share that appeal. Ford, Toyota, GM, Peugeot, Fiat, Honda, etc all have extensive histories in motorsports. Owning an RS badged Ford or a Type R badged Honda is the same as the above, but on a more reasonable budget.

Beyond that, 'cool' cars are pleasing to the senses. They have nice lines and make all the right sounds. Not that many other people are going to be impressed by your car barking and popping when you let off the gas, but you'll have a shit-eating grin. You might still hate having to go to work, but you'll at least smile as you approach your car. That loud exhaust won't make people think you're cool, but it will make you enjoy driving through tunnels a gear or two lower than usual.

Personally, I'd take an EF or EG Civic with a K swap, no stereo and a gutted interior over any new car. There's a very limited selection of people who might be impressed by it (vs. assuming it's an old beater), but it's not about what other people think, it's about smiles per gallon. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 2:13 pm

No, not really.

I've never had a fast or fancy car. I have had some that looked a little cooler than others (Volkswagens) but w/e, a car is not a status symbol or something I use to attract dates.. it's a transportation appliance that takes me from A-B whenever I want to go.

When I see people in muscle cars and especially in big lifted trucks, instantly my thoughts go to "Compensating for something.. probably a small penis," if they have to use an expensive gas guzzler to get attention. Kinda desperate splashing out cash they probably don't have to impress people that probably don't care about them.

My last car I bought because it was on sale for $12k vs. $18k brand new. I had it for 6 or so years and totalled it a couple weeks ago. I bought like-new 2006 Prius because it's super reliable, cheap on gas, has at least the amount of cargo space I need etc. I don't give a flying F if someone thinks lesser of it not being a fast car or luxury car etc. No one I would sleep with would care about that. And I doubt I would lose any business because of it. Some people drive trucks or more impressive cars and get better reactions from clients and make more sales.. I get that that is a real phenomenon. But I'm not a full time salesman and don't really care. It's a clean car vs. clapped out piece of crap so it might not make the "best," impression but it certainly won't make a terrible one. Good enough.

Also, I'd rather have money in the bank than put it all in the tank. Too many guys think they have to drive a truck to be a man.. and then find themselves in financial troubles as the price of gas rises and it costs $250+/tank. F that. Almost everything you can think of is exorbitantly expensive here so I'd really rather not give any extra money to the gas stations that could pay for food/shelter/anything else.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 2:22 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
When I see people in muscle cars and especially in big lifted trucks, instantly my thoughts go to "Compensating for something.. probably a small penis," if they have to use an expensive gas guzzler to get attention. Kinda desperate splashing out cash they probably don't have to impress people that probably don't care about them.

It's a weird form of projection to immediately assume someone bought their vehicle based on what other people will think of them, rather than because it's what genuinely appeals to them.

Then again, people who don't like cars seem to have zero insight into what motivates people who do. You'd be hard pressed to find someone with the sort of vehicles you describe who doesn't appreciate cars as a hobby. Even guys who drive stupid bro-trucks.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 2:47 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

It's a weird form of projection to immediately assume someone bought their vehicle based on what other people will think of them, rather than because it's what genuinely appeals to them.

Then again, people who don't like cars seem to have zero insight into what motivates people who do. You'd be hard pressed to find someone with the sort of vehicles you describe who doesn't appreciate cars as a hobby. Even guys who drive stupid bro-trucks.

Mmhmm.. go to any car meet, paretos law, the vast majority are trying to impress others, elevate their status in the club, have the “exclusive,” car or mods blah blah blah because it’s their outlet to deal with/avoid their own inferiority issues vs the very few who own what they do because it’s what brings them joy.

Most of the people that are super into their car for themselves are probably out driving or maintaining their car or w/e vs attending any sort of meet at all because they don’t need the circle jerk attention to feel good about themselves.

Just sayin’.

Hell, car sales people prey on this stuff.. “Oh, well if you don’t think you can handle the power/payment, we have some used ecoboboxes over here..” ..”Oh wait, what’s that? You Can afford it ? Alright, let’s get you a test drive and a meeting with the finance manager for approval.” Blah blah blah suckers and their money being parted.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 3:09 pm

Car sales people use high pressure tactics, therefore anyone who seeks to buy or build a cool car is hoping to overcompensate for their dick. :roll:

Your logic is as sound as ever.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 4:19 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Car sales people use high pressure tactics, therefore anyone who seeks to buy or build a cool car is hoping to overcompensate for their dick. :roll:

Your logic is as sound as ever.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Smol peen, low self confidence, inferiority complex, attention wh0re, derives self worth from perception by others etc etc etc take your pick Most are compensating for Something by splashing cash on their cars.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 4:37 pm

You have a little "Fiestie!"
Cool!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 4:56 pm

I don't think it matters at all if somebody doesn't have a flashy car. The only reasons why I'd want one would be (1) shiny things attract me, and (2) having a flashy car would increase my status in the eyes of a certain type of elitist jerk, who might be of some use to me if I could get them to revere me. But I'd have to hold my nose to go down that path, and I'd possibly lose the respect of the kind of people I respect. And really, if I had the money to buy a flashy car then I could put it to much better use. I'm not even qualified to drive in the USA, and after not driving in the UK for decades, I'd have a very hard time getting insurance. And even then I'd be terrified of having an accident and rendering that costly car worthless. All in all, I don't worry that not having a flashy car could be the reason why I'm not deleriously happy.

OTOH I've got nothing against a fascination with shiny things as such, as long as nobody starts elevating the owner's status. A pig with a flashy car is still just as porcine as they would be without it.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 4:59 pm

When my Dad used to have his Yellow Reliant Regal Supervan 3 and people used to smirk at him he used to say "My car is paid for. Is yours?" and most of them had to admit their cars were on credit.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 5:01 pm

Is that a 3 wheeler

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Mar 2024, 6:50 pm

It seems stupid to me for someone to spend lots of money to have a very fast car considering that most roads have speed limits & that goimg too fast is likely gonna cause an accident. It's like some drivers don't give a flying f#ck about killimg themselves or anyone else as long as they appear cool in the process. Perhaps they play too many video-games like Grand Theft Auto & get confused about real life.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Comet Zed
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 7:08 pm

I have a flashy looking, small two seater sports car ( MX5 RF). I bought it as I love driving, have a particular interest in these cars (it's my second MX5) and as a celebration of achieving a degree of financial freedom that I never thought I'd be capable of. What anyone else thinks about it is their business, but a lot of people assume that a man in his 40's buying this sort of vehicle is trying to impress people. Meh.

Anyone with substance won't care about such things, so get whatever you're happy with.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 8:26 pm

No, it doesn't matter. You don't take a car with you when you die.