What path lead you to eventually accept yourself?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2024, 3:00 pm

getting diagnosis at age 68 changed everything. I finally understood that all my lifetime of failures, misunderstandings, and all the ways I disappointed others was not actually "all my fault" but that autism had worked behind the scenes there all my life and nobody knew! I could finally forgive myself , and it was not all because I did not try hard enough. What a relief!! !
Today I have made lots of self accommodations and I have stopped trying to do things that others expect of me, I am simply not equipped to do almost anything in "real time" or "face to face" without failing.
So now I rarely try to do things "everybody else" does with relative ease and comfort. I have substituted many "expected" social activities to ones that I don't have to fight and struggle with, and that I can accomplish without feeling sick distressed or upset over. It has changed my life completely.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2024, 9:40 pm

The friction between a frenemy and I on Canada Day in 2009. I did some reexamination of myself for the next 10 weeks and decided that I'm better off being a Kinks Fan and liking the 60s than I am trying to shock people out of rebellion and anger.