A dog vs having a girlfriend!

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2024, 9:36 am

I was telling my parents how I was depressed that I have never had a proper girlfriend and there advice to me was that if you want a relationship get a dog.

Really I do not understand there advice because a dog is not a substitute for a real romantic relationship. Do you agree?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2024, 9:58 am

:lol:

I'd say your parents have a unique way of giving advice

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2024, 10:23 am

A pet isn't meant to be a substitute for a romantic relationship. A Dog does however make for a good companion who can get you out of your own head and out into the world. Dog walking is an excellent way to meet new people as well.

Having a pet can also lower blood pressure, reduce stress, and provide a number of positive benefits.

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2024, 5:48 pm

Um... What??? :huh:

I have a dog. I love her to pieces, but how can she be a fill-in for a romantic partner? That is such a strange concept. I will say that if a romantic partner would make me give her up, then the romantic partner is going, but that's a different question. lol

I love my dog so much... but romantic partners are a completely different need. Like apples and oranges.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2024, 6:01 pm

You can't have sex or make out with a dog!

Lol there is NO comparison!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2024, 6:27 pm

1. Dogs do not go shopping, so no waiting around for hours in the shopping mall, carrying the dog's bags around. They would much rather go out and play in the park.

2. Dogs do not mind if you smell a bit funny -- no worries if you got the scent of another dog on you.

3. They do not mind if you pet another dog -- no jealousy there from your dog.

4. Dogs love it when you bring your friends around unannounced at weird hours. They love the company and fun, it is never inappropriate.

5. Dogs do not mind you being late. They actually are more excited to see you, so do not have to worry.

6. They will not mind if your forgot their birthday. They are not even expecting a gift, so can throw them the birthday party a few weeks later when you remember.

7. Their parents will never visit you, so no awkward moment of seeing the parents for the first time or the mother in law coming 'round for a 'couple of days'.

8. Dogs are not worried about the previous dogs in your life. No chances of running in to the previous dog on a walk!

9. Perfect travel companion on a journey. They will trust your better judgement behind the wheel and realize instinct and not a strangers directions will get you to your location.

10. They do not need the bling or makeup when going out. Your dog is ready 24/7 to leave at a moments notice. No need to wait for an entire movie to finish before your significant other is done getting ready.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Mar 2024, 11:16 pm

I've been given that sh!t cop-out advice before online when complaining about being lonely & I actually had a pet dog & a chinchilla at the time. Perhaps I just needed a couple more pets than other chronically single people :roll: I'm thinking of the Crazy Cat Lady stereotype who can never have enough cats to compensate for being single.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 2:52 am

Fnord wrote:
1. Dogs do not go shopping, so no waiting around for hours in the shopping mall, carrying the dog's bags around. They would much rather go out and play in the park.

2. Dogs do not mind if you smell a bit funny -- no worries if you got the scent of another dog on you.

4. Dogs love it when you bring your friends around unannounced at weird hours. They love the company and fun, it is never inappropriate.

5. Dogs do not mind you being late. They actually are more excited to see you, so do not have to worry.

6. They will not mind if your forgot their birthday. They are not even expecting a gift, so can throw them the birthday party a few weeks later when you remember.

7. Their parents will never visit you, so no awkward moment of seeing the parents for the first time or the mother in law coming 'round for a 'couple of days'.

8. Dogs are not worried about the previous dogs in your life. No chances of running in to the previous dog on a walk!

9. Perfect travel companion on a journey. They will trust your better judgement behind the wheel and realize instinct and not a strangers directions will get you to your location.

10. They do not need the bling or makeup when going out. Your dog is ready 24/7 to leave at a moments notice. No need to wait for an entire movie to finish before your significant other is done getting ready.

Where do I get one of these "Dogs". They're perfect.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 3:13 am

Fnord wrote:

This is 100% not true.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

13 Mar 2024, 8:04 am

! Cornflake wrote:
Some offensive discussion of bestiality has been removed.

That sort of thing is best researched outside of WP.

Jamesy, it's so obvious that a dog can't be considered "a substitute for a real romantic relationship" I'm surprised you feel a need to ask.

DanielW summarised the benefits of a dog's companionship very well, and that's what the advice from your parents was about.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Mar 2024, 9:22 am

Cornflake wrote:
Jamesy, it's so obvious that a dog can't be considered "a substitute for a real romantic relationship" I'm surprised you feel a need to ask.

DanielW summarised the benefits of a dog's companionship very well, and that's what the advice from your parents was about.
I thought he was really asking about Why was he given that advice. It kinda irked me when I was suggested that & I think I complained about that advice on this forum in past. I guess I understand why people suggest it but when your frustrated about being single that advice feels insulting. I think woulda handled that better if I felt like the people suggesting were trying to understand my situation & wanting to be helpful & gave me other suggestions & showed sympathy along with it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AnanstrixG
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2024, 9:39 am

That is strange advice.

I prefer my cat and dog to even the option of having children, but I fully acknowledge that they are not a substitute FOR children.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 10:45 am

nick007 wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

I thought he was really asking about Why was he given that advice. It kinda irked me when I was suggested that & I think I complained about that advice on this forum in past. I guess I understand why people suggest it but when your frustrated about being single that advice feels insulting. I think woulda handled that better if I felt like the people suggesting were trying to understand my situation & wanting to be helpful & gave me other suggestions & showed sympathy along with it.

Well yeah. His parents telling him to get a dog is basically them telling someone who's depressed to be happy.

It's a crap attempt at giving advice to their own son.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 10:47 am

except that its NOT. Its something tangible that can be done to help with depression, loneliness, and anxiety. As well as Meeting new people - hence the advice.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 11:28 am

A dog!

How many women can show love like dogs do? :D Give one a kiss when one feels down. Wag their tails when they are happy and growl as strangers! (Maybe women do do that bit? :D ).

Jokes aside while I duck. Dogs do make good pets and get one out more. You may meet a nice lady through your dog!

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 11:30 am

Has he said if he even wants a dog