Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

misha00
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2024, 4:53 pm

If AI could figure out how to affordably create a fleet of spaceships that could hover in space that billions could live in, would that solve the problem of AI becoming an existential threat to life? Or could the AI left on earth decide to destroy the spaceship?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 4:59 pm

We already have a spaceship that hovers in space and billions can live on it. We're just hellbent on making it uninhabitable for the sake of short-term convenience and greed.

For me, the most exciting application for AI would be taking the emotion out of human governance and allowing it to make decisions that affect our survival systems based on cold logic.

AnanstrixG
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2024, 8:39 am

We don't have any real sort of AI yet. No Skynet. Just a bunch of algorithms which can simulate output based on massive inputs. No actual thinking or risk of self awareness.

Most of the fear surrounding AI is from movies and sensationalistic media.

I prefer the Asimov take on what AI would look like. Failsafes in place, but as with anything, anomolies would occur and need to be dealt with. So there would always be the threat of an "AI revolt" in that case, but unlike in the movies, it would be safeguarded against better than that (I would hope).

Regardless, having generation ships or orbital stations would certainly help with overpopulation and the spread of humanity (and other Earth-species brought with) ... but I doubt it would do anything against the "threat of AI".

utterly absurd
Toucan
Toucan

14 Mar 2024, 10:52 pm

I don't think AI is anywhere near as big a threat as people say it is.
Computers only do what they're programmed to do. People worry that AI will act in its own interests but no one would program it to do that; we would program it to act in our interests. AI wouldn't try to take over the world because we would program it not to do that. And anyway, there's always an off button.
That being said, people using AI for immoral purposes is always a risk. But the AI doing anything on its own isn't.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 10:56 pm

I think for AI to be a threat it needs to be programmed without limits and scope for limitless self growth. Such a malificent program could developed as a weapon. In the meantime I wouldn't lose sleep over chatgpt taking over your computer or your recently purchased sexbot killing you and driving away in your Tesla.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 10:14 pm

AI could take over jobs and people who want a 9 to 5 job won't be able to find one.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 10:31 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
AI could take over jobs and people who want a 9 to 5 job won't be able to find one.

sentient AI automatons will eventually be far more efficient than humans. If anyone wants to see the future watch Ridley Scott's Prometheus. David the AI is likely to be real within a couple of decades.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 11:18 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

There was no need to pursue the old job, and after the advent of the automobile, the driver replaced the coachman.
After the emergence of artificial intelligence, politics, philosophy and art are the directions that human beings should study.
Of course, short-term unemployment is inevitable.

utterly absurd
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2024, 12:12 am

belijojo wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

There was no need to pursue the old job, and after the advent of the automobile, the driver replaced the coachman.
After the emergence of artificial intelligence, politics, philosophy and art are the directions that human beings should study.

Yes, I like to be optimistic and think that when things like manual labor are done by AI, people will be able to devote their time to creative pursuits like art, science and philosophy that computers can't do.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 1:05 am

belijojo wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Not quite the same when you have automatons there will be no jobs for humans.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 1:16 am

^You have this view because you think that going to work to do repetitive, rigid work is the meaning of life, such as programmers or sales or investors.Or think that if one don't do them, don't deserve the money and should die.This is not right.

PS: Want to know more about what you really think

Beware of social discipline, whether gender or occupational

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 3:58 am

belijojo wrote:
^You have this view because you think that going to work to do repetitive, rigid work is the meaning of life, such as programmers or sales or investors.Or think that if one don't do them, don't deserve the money and should die.This is not right.

The moment corporations get hold of AI automatons they will simply stop employing human beings. My concern is prior to that happening whether us expendable humans get COVID V.24 hybridiesed with Ebola which wipes us out.