Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 7:24 am

Equal education, unequal pay: Why is there still a gender pay gap in 2024?

Quote:
Not even education can close the pay gap that persists between women and men, according to a recent U.S. Census Bureau report.

Whether women earn a post-secondary certificate or graduate from a top-tier university, they still make about 71 cents on the dollar compared with men at the same education level, Census Bureau research found.

That difference is coming into stark view on Equal Pay Day, and in spite of the fact that women comprise more than half of college-educated workers and participate in the labor force at record rates.

Rather than comparing full-time working men to full-time working women, the Feb. 22 Census Bureau report juxtaposes men and women with the same education caliber: graduates of certificate degree programs and those who hold bachelor’s degrees from the most selective universities, explained economist Kendall Houghton, a co-author of the research. The report also includes graduates who may have opted out of the labor force, such as women taking on child care responsibilities.

“The main point here is that there’s a substantial gap at every single level,” added Census Bureau economist and co-author Ariel Binder.

Field of study, choice of occupation and hours account for much of the discrepancy, but not all. Field of study, for instance, contributes to the pay gap much more for top graduates (24.6%), but for less selective degree holders accounted for only a sliver (3.8%). And the number of hours and weeks worked affect the pay gap more for certificate earners (26.4%) than selective bachelor’s degree earners (11.3%), suggesting there is a bigger gender difference in work participation for certificate holders, Binder said.

At the same time, about 31% of the gap for each education level remains unexplained, suggesting less easily measured factors such as gender stereotypes and discrimination may be at play.

Chantel Adams says she isn’t surprised that the gender pay gap persists even among men and women with the same level and quality of education, or that the gap is wider for Black and Hispanic women.

Broadly, younger women are closer to wage parity with younger men, according to Carolina Aragao, who researches social and demographic trends at Pew Research Center. But the gap widens between the ages of 35 and 44, which coincides with when women are most likely to have a child at home.

“That does not play out the same way for men,” Aragao said, adding that there is actually an opposite phenomenon known as the fatherhood premium, in which fathers tend to earn more than other workers, including men without children at home.

Despite women making vast gains in C-suite and high-earning industry representation, wage gap improvement has stalled for about 20 years, Aragao said. Uneven child care and household responsibilities, falling college wage premiums, and overrepresentation in lower-paying occupations are all contributors to why the pay gap stubbornly remains.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 9:47 am

It's simple. Conservatives derail any opportunity to close the gap because they believe that woman should be subservient to men.

Hence why they voted for Trump in 2016--they couldn't even stomach the idea of a female president.

Plus their rigid stance on abortion, IVF, etc.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 10:16 am

The company I worked for took advantage of the pay gap.
They look for any signs that entry level workers have writing skills indicative of their ability to move up in the company.
They took an woman who re-entered the work force after raising two daughters and was working in data entry.
They trained her to be a senior level manager to take over after someone retired!

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 11:16 am

When society is based on the traditional family unit, this conflict is not taken seriously. Mother's salary is low while father's salary is high.The income of the whole family is balanced.

As families disintegrate, the abilities and wages of different individuals begin to be compared. But why do women want to have children and want a high salary at the same time?

I mean, either women don't have kids, they don't take Maternity Leave,work like men, or men have the same amount of vacation.Surrogacy is a great idea in a free market society. Although I don't like it from the bottom of my heart.

More pay for more work and equality between men and women and equal pay for equal work are impossible triangles. Under the premise that most women have babies.,which take up the time and energy of women is greater than that of men.