Scientists May Be One Step Closer To Helping People Regrow

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 3:52 pm

Full Title:
Scientists May Be One Step Closer To Helping People Regrow Lost Limbs

https://brobible.com/culture/article/scientists-humans-regrowing-lost-limbs/?utm=newsbreak

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 8:19 pm

Just as long as we don't end up seeing big dangerous lizards in lab coats running around and terrorizing people. :spiderman:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 10:03 pm

I think that's very exciting news and I look forward to the day that it's possible.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 3:40 pm

I suppose it was an inevitable path of research. I hope they succeed.

But, I'm more interested in them 3D printing replacement heart parts with tissue matching the patient's.

My cardiologists foresaw the surgery I eventually got, replacing a valve. They explained some of the current limitations of replacement valves. I suggested I'd like to wait 'til they could 3D print me a replacement valve with my tissue...the cardiologist smiled and said it was being worked on.

I wish they'd worked faster.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2024, 6:58 am

Double Retired wrote:
I suppose it was an inevitable path of research. I hope they succeed.

But, I'm more interested in them 3D printing replacement heart parts with tissue matching the patient's.

My cardiologists foresaw the surgery I eventually got, replacing a valve. They explained some of the current limitations of replacement valves. I suggested I'd like to wait 'til they could 3D print me a replacement valve with my tissue...the cardiologist smiled and said it was being worked on.

I wish they'd worked faster.

I'm sure they'll get that eventually. One of the challenges with the heart in particular is how infrequently new cells are grown.

Personally, I'm looking forward to replacement teeth and gums. I've got a pretty decent set of teeth, except for the one that I had to have a root canal on. But, we're getting pretty close to that. They can get bones regrowing, and I think they've been able to make most of the components for a tooth, but last I checked, it was the outer coating and the necessary connective tissue to tie the tooth to the gums that are still an issue.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2024, 11:36 am

Maybe they will be able to grow human organs on ...artificial lab "trees" ...so to speak. Genetically custom to order. So as you get old they can just transplant the cloned organs into your body to replace the old ones. Before long...you will be a totally reconstituted person! And age 110 you will need to get a new birth certificate (like when you build a new car out of spare parts you need to get the said car its own vin number and get it registered).

And at the same time they will have labs that grow steaks on artificial trees (so they dont hafta raise whole cows anymore just you can eat a steak).

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2024, 2:38 pm

Can repairing brain damage be done with this type of research?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2024, 2:44 pm

Yeah, great if they can do it but...

They can't even get people to regrow hair at the moment.