I wouldn't survive dating in 2024

Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Mar 2024, 1:04 pm

I seldom post articles here(that's The_Face_of_Boo's thing) but I received an email last night with various new medical news articles listed & this one seems kinda relevant to this thread :arrow:

Average Middle-Aged American Is Lonelier Than European Peers :arrow:
https://www.drugs.com/news/average-midd ... cc4a6e3119

Quote:
By Carole Tanzer Miller HealthDay Reporter

MONDAY, March 18, 2024 -- Middle-aged Americans are lonelier than ever, with new research showing they are even more isolated than some of their peers in Europe.

That does not bode well for their health.

"Loneliness is gaining attention globally as a public health issue because elevated loneliness increases one's risk for depression, compromised immunity, chronic illness and [premature death]," said study author Frank Infurna, an associate professor of psychology at Arizona State University in Tempe.

For the new research, Infurna's team used representative surveys from the United States and 13 European nations to look at how loneliness has changed over time and how it differs from one country to the next.

All told, the surveys included more than 53,000 people from the Silent Generation (1928-45), Baby Boomer (1946-64) and Generation X (1965-80). When they took the surveys, between 2002 and 2020, participants were between 45 and 65 years of age.

"We focused on middle-aged adults because they form the backbone of society and empirical evidence demonstrates that U.S. midlife health is lagging other industrialized nations," Infurna noted in an American Psychological Association news release. "Middle-aged adults carry much of society's load by constituting most of the workforce, while simultaneously supporting the needs of younger and older generations in the family."

Still, middle-aged Americans reported higher levels of loneliness than many folks in Europe.

And the younger folks were lonelier than the older ones. Late Baby Boomers and Generation X reported more loneliness than those from the Silent Generation and early Baby Boomers.

Midlife loneliness rose consistently in the United States over the study period. Trends in Europe differed.

While late Boomers and Gen X respondents in Mediterranean countries and England had similar increases in loneliness, Nordic countries and continental Europe had stable or slightly declining levels.

Researchers said the findings are a wake-up call for U.S. health officials, although U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy already sounded the alarm on the "epidemic of loneliness" in America in a 2023 report.

"The cross-national differences observed in midlife loneliness should alert researchers and policymakers to better understand potential root causes that can foster loneliness and policy levers that can change or reverse such trends," Infurna said.

Differences in cultural norms, economics and social safety nets appear to contribute to the "loneliness gap" between Europe and the United States, researchers found.

For example, the individualism, declining social connections and political polarization are the norm in the United States, they said. Middle-aged Americans also tend to relocate more often and have weaker family ties than their European counterparts.

Adding to the pressure on this age group are growing job insecurity and income inequality as well as family leave, unemployment and child care policies that are less comprehensive than those in Europe, the study found.

Even so, researchers found that Europeans were almost as lonely as their U.S. counterparts.

The findings were published March 18 in the American Psychologist, a publication of the American Psychological Association.

Infurna said loneliness as a public health issue has put a global spotlight on the need to advance social connections.

"The U.S. surgeon general advisory report, coupled with nations appointing ministers of loneliness, have shined a bright light on loneliness being a global public health issue," Infurna said. "As opposed to being considered an epidemic — an outbreak that spreads rapidly and affects many individuals — our findings paint a picture akin to loneliness being endemic, regularly occurring within an area or community."

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 1:17 pm

My work colleague went on timber and he swiped it and his best match was my other work colleague :lol:

They hated each other :lol:

It broke the day up

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 1:19 pm

Fun times. :lol:

I can’t see myself being comfortable with online dating apps. Not my cup of tea.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 1:35 pm

Speaking of the article Nick posted, I don't have a friend group consisting of peers, however ironically, I believe if I found that I were single, I believe I'd have little problem making connections. Despite life-long social deficits, I have learned a great deal about people over the years and generally know what to say to people, at least on a superficial level. I would sell our house and get an apartment in vicinity of the Wilde Lake Village Center in Columbia, MD and check out any sort of events that might be of interest, especially to senior citizens, and would also join volunteer efforts. The reason I don't do those things now, pathetic as it may seem, is I don't feel I could juggle my family life and the sort of things I mentioned. Perhaps one reason I continue to work, which is that I have daily interaction with people outside my family, without incurring any sort of social obligations. As far as dating is concerned, it seems reasonable to assume that, under the circumstances I described, I would meet women with some degree of interest, so I would at least have options, assuming I could develop any sort of romantic or sexual feelings towards those people.

BTW this is part of the Wilde Lake Village Center, showing recently built apartments. I believe it's from 8 years ago. They are still building.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 3:35 pm

nick007 wrote:
The two times women have hit on me offline I was in a relationship & it was shortly before my exes broke up with me. Who knowns what woulda happened if my exes had broke up with me a month sooner or if I got hit on a month later. If another woman ever hits on me offline I'd be flattered in the moment & then worry I'm about to be broken up with again.

Sometimes contextual. When I'm in a suit and tie I have heard female students daring each other to say something to me and giggling (despite my age). When i'm in casual clothes nobody gives me a second look.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 3:40 pm

nick007 wrote:
Average Middle-Aged American Is Lonelier Than European Peers

Yes this is what I have been reading too. Social isolation is on the rise in the west, Its already reached problematic levels in east Asia. Linked to this is an epidemic of addiction to prescription medication and even in couples there are conflicts over careers, lifestyle, money leading to domestic violence (at least in Australia most people don't self-report), seperation and divorce.

I don't the exact numbers (due to under-reporting its going to be an underestimate) but the trend is upwards.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2024, 6:09 am

cyberdad wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
Wait, the characters in Friends were supposed to be middle class? Huh. The more you know.

I think so.
Joey - actor
Pheobe - masseuse
Chandler - data analyst
Monica - chef
Rachel - rich parents waiting for a job in fashion
Ross- University professor
All lived in a swanky upmarket apartment complex in downtown NY
So yeah, very much middle class

I'm not sure what middle class means in Australia. In the US, middle class refers to anyone who is neither destitute nor super-wealthy. It's an essentially meaningless term that theoretically includes the majority of people in society. (Except that it currently matters very much on a societal and political level because so many Americans are now falling into the category of "poor", so the middle class, which used to be considered the norm for the majority, is now shrinking and has become unattainable for many, even though it's by definition supposed to be just average.)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2024, 7:35 pm

bee33 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
Wait, the characters in Friends were supposed to be middle class? Huh. The more you know.

I think so.
Joey - actor
Pheobe - masseuse
Chandler - data analyst
Monica - chef
Rachel - rich parents waiting for a job in fashion
Ross- University professor
All lived in a swanky upmarket apartment complex in downtown NY
So yeah, very much middle class

I'm not sure what middle class means in Australia. In the US, middle class refers to anyone who is neither destitute nor super-wealthy. It's an essentially meaningless term that theoretically includes the majority of people in society. (Except that it currently matters very much on a societal and political level because so many Americans are now falling into the category of "poor", so the middle class, which used to be considered the norm for the majority, is now shrinking and has become unattainable for many, even though it's by definition supposed to be just average.)

Approx same...

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2024, 6:21 pm

Dating hasn't changed much here.

This video sums up conservative women perfectly:

Outside of cities like NYC, San Francisco, Seattle, etc., this is the entire dating pool.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Yesterday, 7:46 am

There are pros and cons, but I like dating apps because you get to learn about them from their profile.

You get to see their views on politics, religion, kids, what they're looking for, what they do in their free time, and if there's an incompatibility, you know then instead of weeks or months of dating them.

I also find it awkward to introduce myself to a total stranger (in person), especially at loud and crowded places, and apps just give me less anxiety.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

Yesterday, 8:45 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Dating hasn't changed much here.

This video sums up conservative women perfectly:

https://youtu.be/81JEniMYLxc?si=dUDvM4Tv7-rMDGjg

Outside of cities like NYC, San Francisco, Seattle, etc., this is the entire dating pool.
I went to a Catholic high-school & the girls who appeared to be most religious(like the ones assisting when we had church) were the ones who were known for being into partying & hooking up. My theory is that having religion pushed on them by their families & community made them secretly want to rebel. A lot of the more religious boys were also rebelling that way.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition