I wouldn't survive dating in 2024

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 2:47 am

Honestly 2024 seems so scary to me dating. I'm so glad l had my glory days in the 1990s before social media, mobile phones and the internet. I appreciate how difficult things are now. Good luck everyone.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 5:31 am

My "glory days" were in the 70s and early 80s and I feel the same way.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 6:50 am

Can you guys elaborate a little? I'm struggling to see how it's significantly different.

I mean, I can see that there are a few channels for meeting people that didn't exist before but i don't see how that changes the fundamentals of two people meeting and finding out if they like each other or not.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 7:49 am

My glory days were in high school.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 8:13 am

DuckHairback wrote:
Can you guys elaborate a little? I'm struggling to see how it's significantly different.

I mean, I can see that there are a few channels for meeting people that didn't exist before but i don't see how that changes the fundamentals of two people meeting and finding out if they like each other or not.

Sometimes people on here suggest that the only way people are dating these days is through online dating apps when that’s not the case. It’s just another option.

Some recent stats:
Quote:
- Nearly 70% of individuals who met someone on a dating app said it led to a romantic, exclusive relationship, while 28% said it did not.

- Males were more likely to have met someone on a dating app and have it lead to an exclusive relationship (75%), compared to 66% of females.

- Online dating is still very popular, with nearly three in 10 U.S. adults saying they have used a dating site or app, and more than 40% stating that online dating has made dating easier for them.

- When asked how they currently feel about dating, nearly 36% of respondents stated “somewhat positively” and 24% said “very positively,” while almost 23% felt indifferent to dating. Only 4% felt “very negatively.”

- The top place to find dates according to 45% respondents was online dating apps, followed by being connected by a friend (33%) and concerts or festivals (32%).

https://www.forbes.com/health/dating/da ... footnote_3

Quote:
Online dating is more common among younger adults than among older people. About half of those under 30 (53%) report having ever used a dating site or app, compared with 37% of those ages 30 to 49, 20% of those 50 to 64 and 13% of those 65 and older.

About four-in-ten U.S. adults overall (42%) say online dating has made the search for a long-term partner easier. Far fewer (22%) say it has made the search for a long-term partner or spouse harder. About a third (32%) say it has made no difference.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads ... n-the-u-s/

While online dating is an option, it’s not the only option. People are still meeting and dating in old-fashion ways.
Quote:
Here are the most common ways people in the States say they meet partners these days:

1. Online (39%)
2. Bars/restaurants (27%)
3. Through friends (20%)
4. At work (11%)
5. At school (9%)
6. Through family (7%)

Now let’s compare that to how people were most likely to meet their partners back in 1995:

1. Through friends (33%)
2. Bars/Restaurants (19%)
3. At work (19%)
4. At school (19%)
5. Through family (15%)
6. Online (2%)

https://hackspirit.com/online-dating-statistics/

The numbers are greater than 100% in my last quote. I suspect it’s because sometimes people can meet online through friends (etc.). Also to be noted is that meeting online doesn’t necessarily have to involve an app.

I seem to agree with the majority of people polled that online dating apps have made things easier. I haven’t and won’t use them, but it is another option that DOES work for some people according to the numbers. Even if people use online dating, it doesn’t mean that they’d necessarily be opposed to meeting someone through more traditional means. It’s just another way to “put themselves out there.”

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 18 Mar 2024, 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 9:12 am

Millenials & Gen-Z are well known to not be having as much sex versus say, boomers, since those groups have far more in-home entertainment options than their predecessors did and don't need to leave the house to be entertained.

Add into the mix the relative economic decline of western countries, now, versus the time where you could buy a house with a year or two worth of salary, and it isn't a wonder why people can't even afford to date and if they can - they will be balancing the risk of financial expenditure versus any possible reward with such a punishing economy.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/sex-millennials-young-people-economist-risk-allison-schrager-a8893836.html

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-millennials-less-sex-20160802-snap-story.html

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 9:17 am

Dating is hard for me to accomplish because of my disability and transportation and unreliability issues!! !

Which is why I am getting Community Compass' assistance with all of this like the planning and actual executing of the dates!

That should force things to move along

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 9:20 am

Most people can afford to date because dating doesn’t need to be expensive. People can go out for a cup of coffee, go for walks in a park, go to inexpensive restaurants, watch a movie at one or the other’s houses, etc.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 9:22 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Most people can afford to date because dating doesn’t need to be expensive. People can go out for a cup of coffee, go for walks in a park, go to inexpensive restaurants, watch a movie at one or the other’s houses, etc.

Theoretically, yes.

But in practice, that's not always the case for obvious reasons.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 9:23 am

I’m speaking from practice/experience. I lived in extreme poverty for years. Poor people often date, live together, and marry. There’s nothing unusual about it.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 9:25 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I’m speaking from practice/experience. I lived in extreme poverty for years.

You sound like a good date from an economic perspective.

There are a lot of snooty people who won't go on cheap dates though, lol.

And I'm not being sexist/aiming that at women.

My brother for example has the idea that he isn't having a good time unless he spends loads on a date. I think there are a lot of people like him.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 9:43 am

blitzkrieg wrote:

I wouldn’t want to date someone who was snooty about money. Been there, done that. It wasn’t good.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 9:44 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

I wouldn’t want to date someone who was snooty about money. Been there, done that. It wasn’t good.

Agreed 100%

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 9:53 am

I'm not exactly what you would call "rich" either...

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 9:55 am

Mikurotoro92 wrote:
I'm not exactly what you would call "rich" either...

Ah yeah.

I didn't mean to implicate anything negative toward you, Mikuro.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 9:58 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Millenials & Gen-Z are well known to not be having as much sex versus say, boomers, since those groups have far more in-home entertainment options than their predecessors did and don't need to leave the house to be entertained.

That's an interesting point, that young people are just in their homes more. So they don't have big groups of people gathering and meeting socially. That seems likely to me.

I'm less convinced by the its too expensive to date thing.