Getting Frustrated Had Enough (Aspie or Deeper)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Aet1985
Raven
Raven

21 Mar 2024, 3:19 pm

I was wondering should I see a shrink like my father says? or is normal that for a Aspie, I feel a lot of stress and anxiety with my aunt being here? It's nothing personal just that I feel I have no privacy, can't have time to myself with my dog, and do what I want to do, not to get personal can't even use the bathroom in privacy. I can deal with everything yet on the other hand I can't, I am trying to get my life together and for the time being, staying calm and living a certain way, perhaps sensory has something to do with it? just daily living as a Aspie and my house is a full time gig, I don't know if I can work 40+ hours on top of it all. I get very concerned because I feel often anxiety and paranoia from past and current events, quick to yell, get angry and go in private and have emotional crying meltdowns, meanwhile my aunt, her daughter and son, along with the grandkids want to move into a 3 family house all together, and I say to myself don't people want to keep to themselves, want privacy, room to breathe, not have phone calls and contact 24/7? I am very hard on myself, because what mostly other people enjoy, I just want to be at peace after 38 years, I end up getting stressed and angry after a while, I can't connect, not a lot in common, feel someplace else mentally and emotionally. I don't know why my father and shrink in the past said forget him, he is on another planet

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 3:27 pm

If you suddenly have another family member like an aunt move in with you that is normally very stressful for an Aspie.

My mother could handle a couple days before things started getting weird.

Aet1985
Raven
Raven

21 Mar 2024, 3:32 pm

she doesn't live with us, she is mostly back and forth maybe here for 6 months or it depends, then she goes to see her kids and grandkids. I just worry mentally if something is wrong with me, because they all enjoy the constant contact whether by facetime, messenger or in person, even wanting to in the future get a three family house. I feel a lot of stress and anxiety not only with the visits, but my personal life as well, and I feel sensory wise ok this is all I can handle right now, all I want is peace with my father and dog, yet my family can't be alone even for a hour, my cousin is 50+ and needs his mother constant

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 5:21 pm

It's very stressful for me to have someone around the house, unless it's my partner (in the past, when I lived with one) or my immediate family like my sister (still a little stressful) or my parents (also in the past). I feel so self conscious about what room to go into, how to move, what to say, what to do, feeling as if I am being watched, and I can't act normally or without being on constant high alert. Even if I just stay in my room and close the door I feel self conscious that I must be acting weird by doing that, and I also feel trapped if I want to get a drink of water or use the bathroom, because I feel like I would have to explain myself for having been in my room, or for why I am now out of my room. It's absolutely exhausting and the stress level just keeps climbing.

Aet1985
Raven
Raven

21 Mar 2024, 9:55 pm

I always wonder in my mind, how in the world can my family have constant contact, without feeling a lot of stress, anxiety, and depression?

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2024, 6:39 am

getting therapy is the best thing I ever did for myself. I needed and outsider to explain things to me that might have been obvious to other people. I learned better ways to cope, how to set boundaries, how to communicate in healthier ways, so much of my life got better.
It is emotionally scary ( or some parts can be!) and you might have to try several therapists before you fine one who "gets you", but for me it was really the key to having a better life and I have not ever regretted going or the things I learned. I did not learn about my autism until 40 years later. Therapy saved my life and my sanity. Yes, check it out. Why live in frustration and emotional pain when there are so many better ways to do life? A therapist is like a life coach who helps you play a better game (sports metaphor). Go for it!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson