Princess of Wales being treated for cancer

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 1:08 pm

Princess Kate announces she is undergoing treatment for cancer

Quote:
Kate, the Princess of Wales, announced Friday that she was diagnosed with cancer and is undergoing chemotherapy, breaking her silence after weeks of widespread speculation over her health.

The 42-year-old wife of Prince William, Britain’s future king, was hospitalized for nearly two weeks at the private London Clinic after having major abdominal surgery in January.

It was thought that her condition was noncancerous and that the surgery had been successful, Kate said Friday in a rare video message. "However," she said, "tests after the operation found cancer had been present.”

Kate said that she was now undergoing “a course of preventative chemotherapy” on the advice of her medical team. She did not specify what type of cancer she has or at what stage it was found, and Kensington Palace has not said why the operation was necessary.

"I am now in the early stages of that treatment," Kate said in the statement, released by Kensington Palace, the couple’s royal household. She thanked the public for their support but also asked for "time, space and privacy" while completing her treatment.

This of course came as a huge shock, and William and I have been doing everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family. As you can imagine, this has taken time. It has taken me time to recover from major surgery in order to start my treatment," Kate said.

"But, most importantly, it has taken us time to explain everything to George, Charlotte and Louis in a way that is appropriate for them, and to reassure them that I am going to be ok," she added, referring to her three children with William.

Kate also had a message for those affected by the disease.

"At this time, I am also thinking of all those whose lives have been affected by cancer," she said. "For everyone facing this disease, in whatever form, please do not lose faith or hope. You are not alone."

At the time of Kate's operation, William postponed a number of engagements as he juggled being with his wife and looking after their children.

King Charles III was himself diagnosed with cancer last month and has been undergoing treatment. Buckingham Palace has not specified the type of cancer or at what stage it was found, though the announcement marked a break with royal history that has often seen ailments hidden from the public.

Kate's surgery and withdrawal from the public eye led to commentary and conspiracy theories that spread across social media. Kate on Friday asked for privacy.

"I am well and getting stronger every day by focusing on the things that will help me heal; in my mind, body and spirits. Having William by my side is a great source of comfort and reassurance too. As is the love, support and kindness that has been shown by so many of you. It means so much to us both," she said.

Let her and Charles have their privacy. Unlike a Prime Minister or a President where their health can effect their country and the world King and Princess are ceremonial positions.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 1:19 pm

Wow... what are the odds? At the same time as King Charles III... :|

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 1:29 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Let her and Charles have their privacy. Unlike a Prime Minister or a President where their health can effect their country and the world King and Princess are ceremonial positions.

If you want them to have their privacy, why repost the article here? it doesn't have any real relevance to Politics, or even Autism. I don't think reposting this is going to give any of the family more privacy.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 1:54 pm

DanielW wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

If you want them to have their privacy, why repost the article here? it doesn't have any real relevance to Politics, or even Autism. I don't think reposting this is going to give any of the family more privacy.

All I did was post what she decided to make public.

This is the News and Current events section not PPR or General Autism.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 4:21 pm

Kate Middelton who I am related to by blood revealed her cancer diagnosis today and is set to undergo chemotherapy.

Anyone else feel as disheartened about this as I do? :(

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 4:52 pm

How would you know you are related to her by blood?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 4:55 pm

Yeah it's sad news although I'm in no way a royalist.

What annoyed me was that they played her speech back to back on the news. I'm not bothered if they do repeat it but FCOL they don't have to play it literally back to back.

I'm not a flipping goldfish in a bowl

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 5:15 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:

Because me and my mom researched our ancestry and we share the same ancestor Jane Hill. Hill was my mothers fathers second name.

“Her family tree reveals that her great-great-grandmother Jane Hill, born in Hetton Le Hole, Tyne and Wear, was a domestic servant in 1897. William Middleton, her great-great-great-grandfather on her father's side, was born in Wakefield, Yorkshire in 1807 and became the first in a long line of solicitors in 1838.”

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 5:25 pm

Jamesy wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

Because me and my mom researched our ancestry and we share the same ancestor Jane Hill. Hill was my mothers fathers second name.

“Her family tree reveals that her great-great-grandmother Jane Hill, born in Hetton Le Hole, Tyne and Wear, was a domestic servant in 1897. William Middleton, her great-great-great-grandfather on her father's side, was born in Wakefield, Yorkshire in 1807 and became the first in a long line of solicitors in 1838.”

Wow! That's very cool actually! 8)

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 5:26 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

Why?

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 5:28 pm

Jamesy wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

Why?

Because... you said you're related to a member of the British royal family?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 5:35 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

Why?

Because... you said you're related to a member of the British royal family?

Well she was originally a commoner unlike Princess Diana who was always connected to the royal family

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 5:46 pm

Jamesy wrote:

Well she was originally a commoner unlike Princess Diana who was always connected to the royal family

Doesn't matter to me, commoner or not I still thought that was intetesting.

My "famous" ancestor was a Filippino drifter who became famous for building his own boat and sailing a very long journey from Hawaii to his homeland in the Phillipines navigating the sea by traditional Polynesian methods. There's even a statue dedicated to him.

He wasn't royalty either but it's still great to be linked to famous people who accomplish something amazing in their life.

He even has his own wikipedia page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florentino_Das

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 10:31 pm

Jamesy wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

On that basis half the WP forum are likely related to British royalty, many of the Kings of england bore so many children that their descendants are everywhere.

Wishing Kate a speedy recovery

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 10:33 pm

DanielW wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

it is news though, front page for Australians

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

23 Mar 2024, 5:57 am

BBC News report, including her video statement - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68643137