Babylon Bee Jokes About Inbred Racists, Fans Meltdown

Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 6:41 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
You shifted the goalposts.

People can scrutinize and critique without using labels.

I'm not against labels though. It's human nature to "label" things for better or worst. Makes it easier to seperate what serves us and what doesn't.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 6:43 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
You shifted the goalposts.

People can scrutinize and critique without using labels.

That is true, however in practice there's often a lack of both efficiency and clarity in doing so. The main point in labeling things is so that you can short cut things a bit, and as long as the label genuinely fits and doesn't carry unnecessary meaning, it works out.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 6:44 pm

It’s also a means to stereotype and other people - to dismiss what they have to say.

“Oh, you’re just an SJW…”

Stuff like that.

Clarity is an issue as well because it can be murky as to where people choose to draw the line when it comes to labels.

I think it’s much better to address ideas.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 6:52 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
It’s also a means to stereotype and other people - to dismiss what they have to say.

“Oh, you’re just an SJW…”

Stuff like that.

Clarity is an issue as well because it can be murky as to where people choose to draw the line.

I think it’s much better to address ideas.

Well I'm addressing the idea that their approach to fighting injustice is puritanical.

Besides not that I wish to defend Trump supporters, but I find it a bit ironic when people on the left claim labels are a bad thing yet they're perfectly ok with throwing around labels like "MAGAs", "Deplorables", and "Karens".

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 6:57 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
Besides not that I wish to defend Trump supporters, but I find it a bit ironic when people on the left claim labels are a bad thing yet they're perfectly ok with throwing around labels like "MAGAs", "Deplorables", and "Karens".

I don’t use those labels.

I find the terms “woke” and “SJW” particularly tricky. Some staunch conservatives consider anything on the Left “woke.” A lot of it boils down to our current, polarized, political climate.

If people are going to use terms like “SJW” and “woke” to describe people who care about and fight for human rights, I would happily accept those labels, but I don’t appreciate it when they are used to dismiss what I have to say.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 7:09 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:

I don’t use those labels.

I find the terms “woke” and “SJW” particularly problematic. Some staunch conservatives consider anything on the Left “woke.” A lot of it boils down to our current, polarized, political climate.

If people are going to use terms like “SJW” and “woke” to describe people who care about and fight for human rights, I would happily accept those labels, but I don’t appreciate it when they are used to dismiss what I have to say.

You know.... I think I'm actually agreeing with you now.

It's like when people call my mom a "Karen" just because she's an older white lady with blonde hair who isn't afraid to speak up when she gets treated like crap. I have long felt that the Karen label would be problematic because it reeks of sexism and it's racially-focused.

So if it helps I think I'm understanding where you're coming from now...

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 7:15 pm

I HATE the term “Karen,” but I don’t want to open that can of worms…again. :lol: I’ve never been called a Karen. Offline, I’m WAY too timid for people to think of me that way. I can certainly see how it could be used to dismiss someone’s needs and concerns though.

It’s absurd that people in the video got offended over a joke about white supremacists. Now that’s a group that no one should want to identify with.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 7:21 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I HATE the term “Karen,” but I don’t want to open that can of worms…again. :lol: I’ve never been called a Karen. Offline, I’m WAY too timid for people to think of me that way. I can certainly see how it could be used to dismiss someone’s needs and concerns though.

It’s absurd that people in the video got offended over a joke about white supremacists. Now that’s a group that no one should want to belong to.

I definetly agree with that. That's the scary thing about all this political turmoil in the US. There's that growing fear that we're only 1 or 2 elections away from fully embracing it... :|

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 7:49 pm

Alt-right types always insist (sometimes at great length) that they're NOT racists. So, why do they feel personally attacked by a satirical article VERY specifically mocking extreme rascists? Sus.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 8:10 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Alt-right types always insist (sometimes at great length) that they're NOT racists. So, why do they feel personally attacked by a satirical article VERY specifically mocking extreme rascists? Sus.

I would hazard a guess that those alt-right types you mention don't like the idea that people who think they are racist, are attacking who they think the alt-right types are, in the meta sense.

Sometimes the alt-right people genuinely believe they are not racist, but feel as though their political opposition are attacking them on false grounds.

I mean, that's what I think is happening anyway.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 8:23 pm

Based on the responses highlighted in the video, it seems like many there were racist and/or antisemitic and proud of it.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 28 Mar 2024, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 8:25 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:

I would hazard a guess that those alt-right types you mention don't like the idea that people who think they are racist, are attacking who they think the alt-right types are, in the meta sense.

Sometimes the alt-right people genuinely believe they are not racist, but feel as though their political opposition are attacking them on false grounds.

I mean, that's what I think is happening anyway.

Plus it doesn't help that there have been movements like Black Lives Matter declaring that all white people are racist.

Regardless if that is really true or not, no white person likes to be called a racist.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 8:31 pm

My maternal grandfather was in the KKK. He was racist and proud of it. Not a very nice man on multiple levels. Some people are proud of their racism because they believe the target of their bigotry is inferior, often in various ways, which, in their minds, justifies their hatred.

Overall, most people who have some degree of racism don’t realize it and would refuse to acknowledge it if it was called out. Prejudice is much more common than many would believe.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 8:41 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Based on the responses highlighted in the video, it seems like many there were racist and/or antisemitic and proud of it.

Ah yeah, there are those people too.

I didn't watch the video as you can tell from this thread, ha.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 8:42 pm

I just jumped into the video at 1:05 and boy, my brain hurt with the first sentence. :lol:

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 8:46 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
My maternal grandfather was in the KKK. He was racist and proud of it. Not a very nice man on multiple levels. Some people are proud of their racism because they believe the target of their bigotry is inferior, often in multiple ways, which, in their minds, justifies their hatred.

Overall, most people who have some degree of racism don’t realize it. Prejudice is much more common than many would believe.

That's... a weird coincidence. My mom had an uncle who was also in the KKK. I've met his wife (my aunt) who was was a very sweet lady to me and my mom, but I never met him which is probably a good thing seeing as my dad was Polynesian.

I guess in a way I've been subjected to racism at times. I'm pretty sure somewhere in my past I was called a "white island n****r" by members of my mom's family, but I can't even remember who said that to me...

Anyways I believe we can't really help who our ancestors were.