Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 1:46 pm

eviifreon wrote:
Fenn wrote:
Welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here. My first reaction to my diagnosis was a mix of feelings. connecting with others who understand has been very helpful. Feel free to reach out if you ever want to chat or share experiences!

I understand completely! It was an “Aha” moment for me cause everything finally made sense. But I also have the mix feelings because I have no idea how to move forward with that since it has been with me all along. I am currently relearning about myself and finding acceptance for it.
Remember that after the diagnosis you were the same person that you were before the diagnosis...but a little bit better informed. What you do with the information is your choice (though we hope it includes frequent visits to WP!).

And, I don't think alcohol is the only way to celebrate. Baked dessert food is also good!

(Some years ago a neighbor moved out and the mice in their home spread out through the building looking for food. Because I'm married we started with no-kill traps...and we released the mice we captured in a nearby state park. On the way home from the park we would celebrate by visiting a donut shop!
:D Don't get these donuts, however!)

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2024, 2:24 pm

Welcome.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 2:45 pm

welcome, glad you are with us. first understanding that I am autistic came as a huge relief. there was a reason for my lifetime of struggles and emotional pain, and it wasn't that I was a bad selfish person who was wicked and who was just not trying hard enough ( something I had been told since a child) At age 68 diagnosis finally allowed me to forgive myself for my past failures and to have enough self understanding to make self accommodations to live a better life going forward. It is never too late to seek diagnosis. you are among others who understand.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

eviifreon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2024, 5:27 pm

Double Retired wrote:
eviifreon wrote:
Fenn wrote:
Welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here. My first reaction to my diagnosis was a mix of feelings. connecting with others who understand has been very helpful. Feel free to reach out if you ever want to chat or share experiences!

I understand completely! It was an “Aha” moment for me cause everything finally made sense. But I also have the mix feelings because I have no idea how to move forward with that since it has been with me all along. I am currently relearning about myself and finding acceptance for it.
Remember that after the diagnosis you were the same person that you were before the diagnosis...but a little bit better informed. What you do with the information is your choice (though we hope it includes frequent visits to WP!).

And, I don't think alcohol is the only way to celebrate. Baked dessert food is also good!

(Some years ago a neighbor moved out and the mice in their home spread out through the building looking for food. Because I'm married we started with no-kill traps...and we released the mice we captured in a nearby state park. On the way home from the park we would celebrate by visiting a donut shop!
:D Don't get these donuts, however!)

Yes, what you said is true! I am still the same me but better informed.

Glad you and your spouse decided on the no-kill traps! I am always happy to let out any cuties that came into my place. Unless it’s poisonous, I would have to call someone more professional, (even then they will capture and release)

I certainly should celebrate my diagnosis. Even better now that it is autism acceptance month! Thanks for the advice. I will get some cake on my way home from work!

Self-stigma is real and exists because of how we have been conditioned to believe that everyone has the capabilities like NTs.

Healing is a journey, not a straightforward process

eviifreon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2024, 5:33 pm

autisticelders wrote:
welcome, glad you are with us. first understanding that I am autistic came as a huge relief. there was a reason for my lifetime of struggles and emotional pain, and it wasn't that I was a bad selfish person who was wicked and who was just not trying hard enough ( something I had been told since a child) At age 68 diagnosis finally allowed me to forgive myself for my past failures and to have enough self understanding to make self accommodations to live a better life going forward. It is never too late to seek diagnosis. you are among others who understand.

I am happy to be here! Having a community to connect with makes me feel less alone. I am so glad your diagnosis gave you a sense of relief for being different and not what others had presumed of you! As a child I was often told I was difficult and weird. I didn’t fit in almost every time. I had always blamed myself for not striving as good as my peers. I even got told I was not “living” because I was “too deep in my confort zone”. I did not understand that statement at all. But now that I know who I am, it also gave me a sense of relief and guilt free for not accommodating others. Cheers to you, friend!

Self-stigma is real and exists because of how we have been conditioned to believe that everyone has the capabilities like NTs.

Healing is a journey, not a straightforward process