Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Can you treat those you disagree with respectfully?
Yes, I can. 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
No, I can't. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 11:03 pm

Starting with speaking of experiences I know that will probably branch the thoughtlines of most to consider me a type with Si in the ego/valued functions (but of course, we all have access to the 8 functions but some are overshadowed while others are more highly valued.)

Either way, with recent behavior by my ISFJ sister being like "I don't need your help!" and similar phrases by other ISFJs previously of both opposite political-religions and similar (so both for those who would treat me as a heretic for not perfectly agreeing with them, and otherwise thus implying it's more Te-PoLR than Ti-Child as might relate to some kind of groupthink brand snobbery per se), it seems rather frustrating when I'm a person who likes to help others and they can't even bother saying "thank you" but instead lecture me or smile to my face before stabbing me in the back.

ISTPs also seem to be this way to me, though I don't know too many for certain of same politics to know for sure whether they're deliberately rude to me out of hatred or just Ti crap essentially.

But of those with Te in ego, they seem to be open to help and ideas to solutions to problems. At the very least, INFPs, an ISFP, and an ENFP always seem to be able to communicate properly so far as I have noticed. Even my ESTJ stepdad, despite other problems, is very open to the reasoning of others even if he can tend to go extremely overboard with controlling every situation he finds himself within. I'd almost rather deal with my stepdad than to put up with the "I don't need YOUR help!" brand of crap. -_-

Presumably ESFPs & ENFPs both would be the most open, having Ti-PoLR rather than Te-PoLR; though perhaps mistyped ESFJs & ENFJs would cloud that up for stereotypes and whatnot. I don't know for certain that I've known too many ESFPs to say for certain, but theoretically they ought to be anyhow.

Either way, just recently frustrated with some having Ti and trying to figure it out, because I'd much rather not have people test my limits like that.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 8:45 am

It depends on the nature of the disagreement. There's a lot of places I can agree to disagree, but if someone's opinion is that a certain demographic is innately inferior I'm unlikely to still have respect for the other party.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 11:34 pm

Usually I can treat with respect those who have opinions differing to my own, but as has been suggested, some opinions would seem so likely to spill over into harmful behaviour against the innocent that those opinions would be something of an exception. Also the respect with which I treat an individual might be nicer than my private feelings about them - I try to deal with most people respectfully but it doesn't mean I'm incapable of considering them to be a bit of a s**t. I'm not proud of that disconnect but I think it's human nature, and it's probably better to be that way than to diss people.

It also depends what you mean by respect. I feel that it's possible to oppose somebody's behaviour quite strongly without being disrespectful to them, so I don't mean by treating them respectfully that I'd express approval of what they're doing, or make it easy for them to do it. "I'm sorry Hal but I can't let you do that."