Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

PineappleLobster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Apr 2024, 1:03 pm

You ask a question, someone (or you!) provides an answer or suggestion.

Have a question you have no idea where to post? Post it here!

Created the most absurd hypothetical scenario you need to know the multiple or singular possible outcomes of? Toss it over here.

Don’t know where Wyoming state is located and you don’t have a map at the ready? Somene’ll find the place!

Need to know what the best pencil brand is? My favorite graphite pencils are Mr. Pen. i got a 12 or so pack of them for $7.

Want a researching mission to go on? Find an answer!

Any question, scientifically or historically answered, or unanswered, bring it over here!

My pronouns are they/them and he/him

~~~~~~~~~~

Feel free to send me a PM! :)

PineappleLobster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Apr 2024, 6:54 pm

If you were to get stuck in a pool of molasses, would you drown or suffocate?
In water, if you can’t swim, you’ll probably drown. But molasses is much thicker than water, so what would happen?

~~~~~~~~~~

utterly absurd
Toucan
Toucan

02 Apr 2024, 7:12 pm

Since molasses is so thick I would think you would float on the molasses, so you would probably be fine.
It might be hard to get to shore though. Swimming in molasses would probably be very hard.

Btw I think this thread is a great idea.

PineappleLobster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Apr 2024, 8:17 pm

utterly absurd wrote:
Since molasses is so thick I would think you would float on the molasses, so you would probably be fine.
It might be hard to get to shore though. Swimming in molasses would probably be very hard.

Yeah, you would float, i think. But resurfacing if you’re fully submerged? Might be more difficult. I would imagine swimming in molasses would be like trying to run in water

utterly absurd wrote:

Thank youuu

~~~~~~~~~~

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 11:00 pm

utterly absurd wrote:

You would sink in molasses if it was deep enough. In fact there was an incident in Boston in 1919 where during an unseasonably warm winter day a big tank filled with molasses blew up and it sent a literal tsunami of the stuff into the town and many people and animals were injured or either suffocated or drowned in it. Someone said they saw many horses dying struggling like flies stuck to fly paper. It was an horrific disaster but while reading about it I couldn't help thinking dumb jokes like, "now that's what I call a sticky situation". Also, so much for the phrase "slow as molasses", the molasses rushed into the town so fast.

utterly absurd
Toucan
Toucan

05 Apr 2024, 4:21 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
utterly absurd wrote:

You would sink in molasses if it was deep enough. In fact there was an incident in Boston in 1919 where during an unseasonably warm winter day a big tank filled with molasses blew up and it sent a literal tsunami of the stuff into the town and many people and animals were injured or either suffocated or drowned in it. Someone said they saw many horses dying struggling like flies stuck to fly paper. It was an horrific disaster but while reading about it I couldn't help thinking dumb jokes like, "now that's what I call a sticky situation". Also, so much for the phrase "slow as molasses", the molasses rushed into the town so fast.

Wow I've never heard of that. That's really weird.
It sounds horrible but also the idea of a molasses explosion is so absurd it's kind of hard not to laugh. Sorry...

PineappleLobster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2024, 5:03 pm

The Great Molasses Flood of 1919, aka The Boston Molasses Disaster

A giant tank filled with 2.3 U.S. gallons of molasses burst open, rushing through the town at 35 mph. The flood killed 21 people, and injured 150.

The residents reported that decades afterwards that the area still smells of molasses on hot summer days.
There’s a whole wiki page

It is indeed rather silly to think a sweet syrup caused a terrible disaster, but, it did

~~~~~~~~~~

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 5:13 pm

I know it's just a cartoon, but why does Fred Flintstone need gas for his car if he can get going just by using his feet?

PineappleLobster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2024, 5:16 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I know it's just a cartoon, but why does Fred Flintstone need gas for his car if he can get going just by using his feet?

I haven’t watched The Flintstones in a hot minute, but perhaps he needs gas for other parts of his car, such as the lights? (I don’t remember if he had lights on his car but maybe)

~~~~~~~~~~

utterly absurd
Toucan
Toucan

05 Apr 2024, 7:39 pm

What would you call a burger made of ham?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 10:49 pm

German speaking immigrants to American in the 19th Century brought their sausage making expertise to America and helped forge American cuisine. And each German city had its own local signature sausage.

Sausages peculiar to Vienna Austria and to Frankfurt Bavaria merged and became the American hotdog...aka "Franfurter" aka "wiener" (the German word for Vienna is Wein).

Likewise in Hamburg they simply fried up a slab of ground beef...and it became the American "hamburger" aka "beefburger". Which is why beefburgers are called "hamburgers" despite having no ham. Its named after a city, and not a meat.

So if you DID grind up ham and fry it up on a skillet and put it in a bun ...maybe "hamburgered ham"?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 1:26 am

lostonearth35 wrote:

I verified that he does put something called Ethel into his car, but it seems to come out of the horn of a living mammoth, so I can't imagine what it is. Bone marrow?

Additional question, how can it be explained that the Flintstones celebrated Christmas?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 8:22 pm

Why is it necessary for humans to have consciousness? Why aren't we all like zombies?

PineappleLobster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Apr 2024, 12:08 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Why is it necessary for humans to have consciousness? Why aren't we all like zombies?

I don’t know about that one… hmm…
Why do we have consciousnesses? Evolution

Why is it necessary to have them? Not sure… survival and sociability?

~~~~~~~~~~

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 12:22 pm

PineappleLobster wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

I don’t know about that one… hmm…
Why do we have consciousnesses? Evolution

Why is it necessary to have them? Not sure… survival and sociability?

ChatGPT says much the same kind of thing, only it's more verbose about it.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 12:48 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:

Consciousness could well be an evolutionary dead-end. It may well be that animals aren't meant to have it, if they're to survive.

Would explain the absence of aliens visiting us.