Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 6:56 pm

I used to be a CNA in the Oncology ward at a hospital for several years and I am definitely pro euthanasia. Have you ever seen a person suffering from bone cancer? Just pure unimaginable pain every waking moment of their life. I think a person in that situation should have the choice to end their life with dignity. I think the only reason its not legal is because the insurance companies would be losing out on billions of dollars trying to keep people alive that have no chance at all. In my time as a CNA I only saw three patients go in to remission, and one of those ended up dying because of hospital error (she was half way through her FINAL blood transfusion when lab called up and said not to give it to the patient because it was contaminated. Nurse changed it out with the new one and never said a word. Next day I come in to find out she's in the ICU. Two days later she died). I only lasted 3 years before I got burned out. Very common in Oncology I guess.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 7:16 pm

My dad had bone, skin, and prostate cancer.
It was the most horrific thing I've seen in my life.
I used to think about using a pillow to end his suffering.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 9:05 pm

I've provided palliative care for people with cancer, and end stage AIDS, Emphysema, etc. I'm very PRO euthanasia. I think people who have seen the actual suffering of those kinds of things usually are. More people would be if they actually experienced what its like, even second-hand.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 9:24 pm

I think that euthanasia is morally wrong and there are better options like palliative care. I'm also against euthanasia because entitled parents could use it as an excuse to murder their disabled children. I feel the same way about euthanasia as I do about abortion. I'm against both of those things because people with disabilities have been murdered because of those two things. If parents choose to have children, they need to be prepared to accept the fact that their child could have a disability and prepared to give them the gift of life. If people don't like handicapped people, they shouldn't shag.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 9:32 pm

I don’t think anyone would argue that euthanasia shouldn’t involve specific standards, regulations, and protocol. It seems like a slippery slope to claim that parents will use it to kill their handicapped children.

As far as abortion goes, sometimes women get pregnant without having made the choice to shag. No matter what, we should have a choice when it comes to our own bodies.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2024, 4:58 pm

If you have seen a loved one die a hard death it is a tempting option.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2024, 6:39 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
My dad had bone, skin, and prostate cancer.
It was the most horrific thing I've seen in my life.
I used to think about using a pillow to end his suffering.

People can put their pets down to avoid needless suffering, to not do so would be considered cruel.People should also have a choice if they have a painful terminal illness.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2024, 11:07 am

I agree. I should add that my father was begging to die at that point when I had visions about the pillow. Of course I wouldn't do it, and I didn't seriously consider it, but I certainly wish there had been a more humane option than what he had to endure. That included us (my mother and me - no men) sliding him down a flight of stairs on a carpet to drag him to his radiation treatment in my car. He was paralysed from the bone cancer but ambulances didn't consider radiation appointments an emergency. He couldn't shut his mouth at the end so I had to swab his tongue. I also had to extricate constipation from his body, manually, because the nurses were too busy.

My dear friend recently died on home hospice from cancer. For his last month he was begging for MAID, and crying all day in the foetal position. I'm sure he would have been approved but he didn't have time to apply.

Until someone has walked in these shoes I don't think they have a clue how bad it is, not just for the loved ones but for the patient themselves.