I have a hard time meeting people. Looking for new friends

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Erik369
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Apr 2024, 2:35 pm

Hello, my name is Pierre. I am from eastern Sweden on an isolated island called Gotland. I was diagnosed with autism at the age of 10.

I have been looking for friends in different Internet communities but I find it hard to initiate conversations and connect with others, and when I do initiate, people do not seem to want to talk to me. I do not know what I am doing wrong and I feel very lonely as I have no one to talk to.

I have one friend I have made online named Chris who is also autistic. He is more socially experienced and has been trying to help me find new people to talk to. He showed me this forum and helped me write my message. I also used Chat GPT as English is not my first language.

I am looking for friends who can be patient with me and teach me how to develop online social skills. I really want new friends as there is nobody on this island I can really talk to. And I am very very lonely since I don't know how to talk to people online. But I need to learn how one makes new friends and how one has online conversations. If anybody has advice on how I can do this, or would like to be my friend, I would love to talk to you. Thanks in advance

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 2:37 pm

Hi. You might have come to the right place.

Welcome to the planet Pierre

Erik369
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Apr 2024, 2:46 pm

Thanks!

Hokulea
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Apr 2024, 4:42 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 5:09 pm

welcome, glad you found us! Lots of friendly people here and lots of interesting forums to explore.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

PineappleLobster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Apr 2024, 5:11 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

My pronouns are they/them and he/him

~~~~~~~~~~

Feel free to send me a PM! :)

utterly absurd
Toucan
Toucan

07 Apr 2024, 7:32 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

All_dream
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Apr 2024, 6:55 am

Hello Pierre.
I am Chris from Discord.com.
Sorry for late reply.
I will wait for your message at discord.com.

Thanks.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 10:23 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

The world is a vast place and there are many, many people. Some of these people have a mind similar to your own. When you find one of them, they can become a friend for life. Not a day or a week or a year, but for their entire lives.

Even though you live in a small island, Gotland, there are probably people who have your characteristics and could become great friends.

Gotland is Sweden's largest island. It is also a province/county, municipality, and diocese. The province includes the islands of Fårö and Gotska Sandön to the north, as well as the Karlsö Islands (Lilla and Stora) to the west. The population is 61,001, of which about 23,600 live in Visby, the main town. Outside Visby, there are minor settlements and a mainly rural population. In spite of the small size due to its narrow width, the driving distance between the furthermost points of the populated islands is about 170 kilometres (110 mi).

So even though you live on a small island, there are probably people there that share your traits and can be good friends. But you must search for them. They live in the shadows.

Erik369
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Apr 2024, 3:59 pm

Thanks Jjimmy for your reply. It nice to meet you too! I am a pretty laid-back person who enjoys spending time outdoors reading books, and trying out new recipes in the kitchen. I'm always up for new experiences and meeting new people. It would be great to chat with you more outside of this site if you want. Let me know how we can connect!

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 4:26 pm

Welcome to WP! :alien:

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 4:29 pm

Welcome to WP Erik!

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 6:42 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Charlemania
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Apr 2024, 9:02 pm

Hey Pierre! Welcome! I admire your determination and resourcefulness to overcome posting in a second language!

I look forward to hearing anything you want to share about beautiful Gotland! What a nice place to live!

I agree with other posters who believe that there are surely other neurodivergent people on your island. Also, people don't have to be autistic to like you and want to be your friend!!

Don't give up hope!

There is an old saying: You have to pan a lot of dirt to find gold!

I hope you find some nuggets here!! :D

Erik369
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Apr 2024, 12:59 am

Thanks there for your reply. It nice to meet you too! I am a pretty laid-back person who enjoys spending time outdoors reading books, and trying out new recipes in the kitchen. I'm always up for new experiences and meeting new people. It would be great to chat with you more outside of this site if you want. Let me know how we can connect!

flat_affect
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Apr 2024, 1:45 pm

Welcome, Pierre. I haven't been here long, but I know there are lots of great people here. I also know what it's like to feel isolated. I live on the west coast of Florida, in the US, and even my therapist was surprised by the lack of resources for autistic adults. It's not easy but, if we persist, I think we'll eventually find a friend or two. Are there any clubs or meetups in your area that are centered around your special interests?