I think I have adhd as well as autism..?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 3:06 am

Not for sure and I did find before that there are some doctors offices that take medicaid and can do an evaluation, but idk with also having autism if that would skew the results for a regular doctors office test. But there is a big collage in my town and they offer services on a sliding scale fee to get seen by students studying for their doctrate or whatever on psychology but on a sliding scale fee so they could probably work with me on giving a lower price.

But yeah they offer evaluations for things including adhd, and apparently even a group therapy sort of thing to help people learn social skills better for people who struggle with it. not sure any of that takes medicaid but sliding scale fee was mentioned on the site so perhaps it could be affordable. Probably because it's collage studuents working on their degreee and not fully licensed yet so they can give services with a lower cost. But yeah I just want to know if I do have adhd or add, cause teachers thought perhaps I had something like that...but I wasn't like disruptive but they could still tell I would zone out and not be paying attention and such. And if it really was just being scatter brainedness I am not sure I'd be so inclined for an evaluation...but also it effects my relatoinships, like a lot of conflicts me and my boyfreind have is because I am being like super autistic and adhd at the same time and whenever I calm down I totally understand how I was being too much, but in the moment it'self I get so worked up it can cause a much bigger conflict than it needed to be.

And like yeah I don't care so much about getting meds cause like if not that maybe they could at least give me some work sheets or something to help me figure coping strategies on my own, but also maybe the meds would help...if they think its a severe enough of a case to prescribe them. I don't really want to have to take meds but, if it could help with my functioning maybe It's worth at least considering.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 7:05 am

That's good that they offer that service at the college. I'm impressed by that

But yeah if you think an evaluation would help you then see if you can get it done.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 7:28 am

There are different types of adhd. Zoning out/not paying attention sounds a lot of like inattentive adhd.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 7:42 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
There are different types of adhd. Zoning out/not paying attention sounds a lot of like inattentive adhd.

I agree.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 4:32 pm

I'm also seeing the gp today to start the official evaluation process. Both my psych and OT think I have ADHD inattentive type.
We'll see.
Good luck, SL

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 10:37 pm

Saw the gp.
They've referred me on to the only psychiatrist in the district.
And I wait.
Maybe up to a year.
Alternatively, I can book a Telehealth appointment and pay $$$$$$

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 10:44 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Saw the gp.
They've referred me on to the only psychiatrist in the district.
And I wait.
Maybe up to a year.
Alternatively, I can book a Telehealth appointment and pay $$$$$$

:heart:

Take some Omega 3's and wait.

Charlemania
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Apr 2024, 10:53 pm

Autism and ADHD is not an uncommon combo, at all.

It IS good to know what all is affecting you, and learning about ADHD is something you can do while waiting for whatever official diagnosis you may receive. Being informed can also help you make sure you get the correct diagnosis.

In fact, I try never to see a healthcare provider without knowing what's up with me. Lots of misdiagnoses and less than brilliant care out there.

You always owe it to yourself to know enough to be able to tell if you are getting a solid diagnosis and good treatment.

P.S.
The only 2 things a doc is really needed for are 1) prescribed meds, 2) officially proving your diagnosis for an IEP or government benefits, etc.

If you research ADHD (everyone is different so not all symptoms apply) and it sounds like you, there is no harm in trying life adaptations and/or OTC/nutritional approaches to improvement, right away. What works works.

Last edited by Charlemania on 09 Apr 2024, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 10:56 pm

^ Good points.

Sorry Sweetleaf I forgot to reply to you.

I have both ASD and combined-type ADHD. They are indeed very common together. I assumed I was maybe "just" ADD because I'm not physically hyper but it turned out that my brain is hyper enough to be ADHD. Who knew?

Meds have kind of helped but it took a lot of trial and error.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 11:24 am

Pretty common. Possibly the most common combination. Dr. Attwood wrote that it's only a small % that show signs of AS, ADHD, OCD, and Tourettes. But even then the list of other symptoms people Could have in addition to ASD is pretty long. Bipolar, anxiety, ptsd etc etc.

I doubt there's That many people out there that Only have signs of ASD and not of anything else. Possible, but it just seems to me that Most have something else or another or two going on as well. My best guess is that so many of these afflictions are rooted in the same health issues that exacerbate them so they all flare up. Further, as decades have passed doctors & researchers have decided to split out a whole bunch of subtypes of mental health illnesses and give them all different names and diagnostic criteria.. so, that's another reason they're seeing a lot more different illnesses in people instead of just a blanket diagnosis of "mentally ill," or "insane," or "ret*d." etc. Some of it makes a lot of sense, especially if they have clearly different symptoms, causes, treatments etc... but sometimes I wonder why they bother splitting hairs.