Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Highly_Autistic
Toucan
Toucan

08 Apr 2024, 8:58 am

Is it possible to be successful in work or self employment without networking with people?

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 9:06 am

No.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 9:14 am

Mendel, the founder of genetics, Garcia Marquez, the author of One Hundred Years of Solitude, and ConcernedApe, the maker of Stardew Valley, are three good examples. They have made great achievements in the fields of biology, literature, and games respectively , without establishing connections with people.

But I don’t encourage you to cut ties with people. There are certainly a few examples of success, but there are countless examples of failure. I hope you will think twice before you act.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 6:24 pm

Highly_Autistic wrote:
Is it possible to be successful in work or self employment without networking with people?

Not really. its not what you know but who you know.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2024, 12:46 pm

Highly_Autistic wrote:

It depends what you mean by successful, but without a network, it makes everything far more difficult. That being said, it is possible to make a career out of something like grocery store clerk where you don't really need much of an actual network. They keep trying to promote me at work on the basis of the stuff that I've been doing. But, a lot of that has to do with poor management of the store and the large amount of churn. Just taking the job seriously and not quitting is enough to ensure that you'll have a job pretty much for an entire career thanks to how the union seniority rules apply in the case of any store closures.