Texas only produced "a ton" of oil

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 8:22 pm

Did you know that?

That the biggest oil producing state in the biggest oil producing country only cranks out....ONE ...ton of oil a year?

Thats what a guy on Utube said.

Back in the 80s young people began to use the word "ton" as an idiom to mean "a whole lot". But they only used it that way for things that can not actually be weighed or be measured in "tons". Emotions and other abstractions. Like "this will take a ton of extra work", or "I miss you tons".

But lately the idiom has crept into being used for tangible things like commodities that CAN and often ARE actually measured in tons.

Like "they grow a ton of corn in Iowa". They actually grow close to a millions tons of corn in Iowa each year.

And the same guy on Utube who said "they produce a ton of oil in Texas" a few minutes later in the same vid also said "Texas produced 1.8 million barrels of oil last year". Which means that Texas produces about a quarter of million "tons" of oil a year! Not just *A* ton!

Why dont folks like that guy realize how friggin stupid they sound when they say things like "Texas produces a ton of oil"?????

Stop using the phrase "a ton" that way folks!

Well thats my rant for the day. :lol:

Last edited by naturalplastic on 10 Apr 2024, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 8:58 pm

I always people say its a "crap ton" or "s**t ton" of something. How much is that?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 11:05 pm

Ive heard "a s**t load". But never a "s**t ton".