Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Highly_Autistic
Toucan
Toucan

11 Apr 2024, 3:59 pm

So far i couldnt make much progress, in any field of life, relationships, education, career etc.

My problems were related to mental health. I was really depressed and anxious. That held me back mostly. I also have mistakes like ignoring things that i should confront. Now it's not much about mental health. But i feel high and dry at the age 26. Because i did not make any progress since my childhood. And tbh there isnt anything going on in my life at the moment.

But i need change and dont know where to start. 26 may be late for some things. Some part of my potential seems to be wasted. But let me see what i can change.

I want to get out of inaction and do somethin. But dont have an idea on what kind of action i must take.

So, how do i make something out of my life?

Did any of you turn your life around after these ages?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2024, 5:04 pm

I'm 28, turning 29 soon more than a month from now.

And I feel like my life hasn't even started yet.

Even after graduating, having years of full-time job, it's just playing catch up but not enough yet for me.

I hadn't found what I'm looking for yet.
I hadn't found what I truly want to do with this life yet.
I hadn't set a direction yet.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

redallen32
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Apr 2024, 5:17 pm

I'm 34 and I still have nothing going in my life and no clue on how to even get started with a good life. You're definitely not alone in feeling like this and not too old at 26!

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2024, 10:58 pm

I too thought I was a lost cause until my neighbor Anita recommended that I see a therapist to help get me going in my life

From there I made the decision to attend Day Program which was the BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE because it led me to my soulmate David! !!

The reason I say all of this is because NONE of that would have happened without seeing the therapist and if I decided not to attend Day Program!

That would mean I would still stay stagnant in my love life and life in general :(

The therapist is the starting point for change!! !

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2024, 9:30 pm

I had a big re-set at 27, and have averaged one every seven years. I'd keep the few good bits that I'd learned, and try the most promising looking new direction. Sometimes, lessons from one field were tremendously valuable in an unrelated one. With broad experience, it got easier to adapt to new situations and find work.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2024, 2:03 am

Have you graduated from college? I would focus on getting some good education first. Not sure what to recommend about relationship. The more you want them the harder it is to attract someone. It's best to build up yourself with skills, talents and experiences.

LittleBeach
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2024, 2:37 am

I am a very anxious person (improving as I get older) and my education, career and relationship aims have all been about finding a situation where I can be safe and comfortable. It took me a few years of mistakes to get there and find a situation where I can feel secure and happy (I’m 36 now)

Society teaches us we should have big ambitions and achievements but it’s ok to ignore this and instead think about what’s really best for you.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2024, 3:29 am

For a 26 year old my advice would be pick something.

I know its hard to see from where you are, but at 26 you still have the starters gun ringing in your ears. You've barely started.

If you don't know what you want to do, just pick something that seems vaguely appealing or worthwhile and throw everything you've got at doing that. Try not to get distracted from it until you've achieved something in that area.

It might not be what you end up doing for the rest of your life. But even if you spend 10 years doing it, you'll have achieved something in a specific area, hopefully earned some money, had a few life experiences and you may even know what you really want to be doing.

A worse thing is to realise later that you've wasted those years casting around for something, you've got weighed down by the trappings of life (financial commitments, relationship commitments, property commitments) and you've suddenly realised what you want to do and... you can't.

Any progress you make in anything will put you in a better position when you figure out what it is you're meant to be doing.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2024, 3:56 pm

y-pod wrote:
Have you graduated from college? I would focus on getting some good education first. Not sure what to recommend about relationship. The more you want them the harder it is to attract someone. It's best to build up yourself with skills, talents and experiences.

Getting education is an excellent idea, but I wouldn't go a single dollar in debt for it, unless I needed a piece of paper for a guaranteed reward. I learn a lot easier from books than from classrooms, and my work proves that I learned well to anyone who understands our field.

Ropachopael
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Apr 2024, 5:44 am

I am also starting over at 34, after a period of very bad mental health, so I definitely don't think it is too late for you. I am finishing a postgraduate course that I started when I was 24 (I am hoping to get a PhD. It was not supposed to take this long!). I have just moved to a part of the country that is beautiful, but where there are no related jobs. I look forward to doing something new.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2024, 3:04 pm

I didn't get started until after 30, and most of the best changes came after I got diagnosis at age 68. Its never too late to follow your best strengths and interests , to find new and better ways to do life. Don't try to force yourself into something that doesn't fit because somebody says "you should". There are plenty of options to explore. follow what are your strongest strengths and interests. everybody grows and changes, its OK to look for new possibilities.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson