Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 1:28 pm

Oh yeah and I have a little trick where I can make people do things from across the other side of the room. They don't even know.

I call this "My Delusion of Grandeur". My daughter loves it. It's quite entertaining if you're waiting for a train or the pub is a bit boring or you're having a particularly rubbish day at work.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 4:04 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Society seems obsessed with sucking all the benefit it can get out of kids with abilities, and with peddling the idea that everybody should be "maximising the realisation of their potential," and the well-being of the kids is given too low a priority.

Yes! There are lots better things to strive for than to be a success. Especially for a kid. Like being kind and empathetic, and enjoying what there is to enjoy in life, and also to be satisfied. Not everyone can be the best: should all those people be miserable and unsatisfied?

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 6:42 pm

If you are talking about school in the USA…

It varies by state. A Gifted program means (usually) anywhere from 80 to 90 percentile in your IQ scores and/or standardized test. This is usually written into law, and all the public schools in that state will stay close to that. If they are going by IQ test then you also have to address “what does IQ mean?”.

Some people want to say “well everyone is gifted in some way, we all have gifts of one kind or another”. But if you were evaluated by a psychologist and he or she said “gifted” they were probably talking about IQ.

Context matters in this kind of thing.

So if someone told you that you were gifted that person is the best one to clarify the meaning. If you were given a written eval, read it carefully and ask questions.

Here is a good link to the standard and usual definition of “gifted” with regard to IQ.

https://www.hoagiesgifted.org/highly_profoundly.htm

https://www.hoagiesgifted.org/

https://www.hoagiesgifted.org/testing.htm

In the context of public school and a formal psycho-educational evaluation the dictionary definition may not be the way to go. Some fields have specific definitions for specific words. When there is a definition written into the law that is the definition that matters in some cases. Public schools and special education are bound by law.

Also:

Twice Exceptional:

https://www.hoagiesgifted.org/twice_exceptional.htm

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 10:10 pm

I had a good chat with my daughter about this thread and asked her opinion, seeing as she was ID Gifted at age 10. In her opinion "Gifted" is a label they stick on High Functioning autistic kids (diagnosed or not), who get bored in their regular classrooms because they finish their work too quickly because of high intelligence and strong focus. It gives them an outlet to keep busy with self-directed work in another room (or sometimes integrated) so they aren't bugging their teachers for something more neurodivergent to do. She said everyone she used to know in her Gifted program went into the arts and/or ended up being ID HFA.

That sounds about right to me.

She also agrees it's kind of useless because everyone ends up in Uni with no distinctions such as "Gifted", and of course employers don't give a rat's ass what anyone's IQ or intelligence designation is, so long as they can do the job and have relevant work experience.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 10:27 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
of course employers don't give a rat's ass what anyone's IQ or intelligence designation is, so long as they can do the job and have relevant work experience.
At a job interview once, years ago, the interviewer asked me what my greatest strength was and I naively said I was smart, and then she made fun of me, as if I had said something preposterous.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 12:31 am

There was one idea I quite liked - to get the hyper-able one to help teach the others when they'd completed their own work. That way, the "gifted" one had something to do that didn't pull them away from their classmates. I suppose the downside is that their classmates might start resenting them if they're not used to it from an early age. There was quite a bit of disdain for the high fliers at my grammar school. They used to call them poofs.

I was deemed somewhat gifted myself when I was about 7 years old. There was one other kid who they also thought was gifted. They gave us something called a workbook which was full of questions that were a bit more advanced, for when we finished the ordinary work early. I loved it. They also got me to read a story to the rest of the class but that didn't work because I went and picked a cowboy story with cowboy drawl which I couldn't pronounce properly. So they stopped me before the story ended and before the other kids had torn all their hair out.

Later on I was the only one in the class who they didn't make write out essays in rough to be checked before doing it properly, because they reckoned I didn't need that step. But as the years went by I fell further and further behind, then pulled out of the tailspin just enough to scrape through my A levels. So I think giftedness is a product of the environment as well as the person. It's surprising how many things that look absolute are relative.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 12:32 am

I believe it, bee. ^ ^

Unless you're applying for research grants or you're on tenure track, few employers will care about your academic achievements or general intelligence. Listing you education, qualifications, skills and work experience is preferred. If they want to know more they'll ask.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 12:38 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
There was one idea I quite liked - to get the hyper-able one to help teach the others when they'd completed their own work. That way, the "gifted" one had something to do that didn't pull them away from their classmates. I suppose the downside is that their classmates might start resenting them if they're not used to it from an early age. There was quite a bit of disdain for the high fliers at my grammar school. They used to call them poofs.

The thing is that not all smart people are good teachers. Sometimes we just know things intuitively, or we don't have the vocabulary to explain to someone else. If it works that's great, but knowing and teaching are two different things imo.

When I was in Primary we had a self-directed reading program called SRA. It had hundreds of stories on cards in a big box, organized by sequential colour levels. Students would choose a story and answer some multiple choice / short answer questions. The answer key was on the back of the card so students could check their own accuracy.

I absolutely loved it and was inspired to power through the whole box. That's where I first read "The Gift of the Magi" and "The Monkey's Paw" in second grade. Those stories kept me very busy, especially because we were allowed to read on beanbag chairs or cushions on the floor.

JamesW
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Apr 2024, 4:15 am

bee33 wrote:
At a job interview once, years ago, the interviewer asked me what my greatest strength was and I naively said I was smart, and then she made fun of me, as if I had said something preposterous.

Q: What would you say was your greatest weakness?
A: Honesty.
Q: I don't think honesty is a weakness.
A: I don't give a f**k what you think.

There is a God.

JamesW
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Apr 2024, 4:17 am

Fenn wrote:
So if someone told you that you were gifted that person is the best one to clarify the meaning.

Sometimes it's the same person who also told you that you were stupid.

There is a God.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 7:11 am

I think it is too easy to say IQ is meaningless. For me, one way it matters is that it helps me to explain to my two sons who struggle with school that they are not “dumb” or “stupid”. In fact they have above average intelligence but also have specific areas of challenge. (One is diagnosed ADHD and the other ADHD and Autism). Both have IQ scores that put them easily in the Gifted program in the public school. I don’t want anyone telling them they have flaws but no strengths. It is all too easy for a kid to see himself as “all flaws”.

Here is a good article on IQ:

https://www.mensa.org/iq/what-iq

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 7:34 am

This is a link to the page about Gifted education in our area in Pennsylvania in the USA.

https://www.pasd.com/academics/gifted_education

As I said, since this is a public school the Gifted program is related to the Law

“The term mentally gifted includes a person who has an IQ of 130 or higher or other factors (listed below) that indicate gifted ability. Gifted ability cannot be based on IQ score alone. If the IQ score is lower than 130, a child may be admitted to gifted programs when other conditions strongly indicate gifted ability.

The other factors to be considered include:
Achievement test scores that are a year or more above level
Observed or measured acquisition/retention rates that reflect gifted ability (how quickly a child learns new concepts or information, and how long he or she remembers it)
Achievement, performance, or expertise in one or more academic areas that demonstrates a high level of accomplishment
Higher level thinking skills
Documented evidence that intervening factors are masking gifted ability”

This is a link to a document about “Parents’ Rights”

https://cdnsm5-ss8.sharpschool.com/User ... udents.pdf

Here is a link that goes into more about the law:

https://www.ed-law.com/gifted-education-pennsylvania/

“Gifted education in Pennsylvania is governed by Pennsylvania law under 22 Pa. Code §§16.1 – 16.65. The purpose of this law, “Chapter 16,” is to provide an education to each identified student that is based upon the unique needs of that student. The district is required to identify eligible students.”

Last edited by Fenn on 23 Apr 2024, 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 7:43 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
The thing is that not all smart people are good teachers. Sometimes we just know things intuitively, or we don't have the vocabulary to explain to someone else. If it works that's great, but knowing and teaching are two different things imo.

Come to think of it, I saw evidence of that in the universities I worked in and on a badly-run course for National Health Service technical staff (not that I was a NHS tech, but there was no course for my career path and they had to find somebody to lecture me :roll:). All who had passed an exam above a certain level were deemed able to teach it, and AFAIK there was no machinery to weed out the bad ones. So the results were mixed.

But there's a difference between teaching and helping to teach. I would hope such a scheme involved starting in small ways and rowing back if necessary, like they did with me. If only I'd picked an easier storybook to read to my classmates, things might have gone better. I was quite good at reading plain English aloud with fair intonation. As it was, they never tried the experiment with me again. They had another session where we demonstrated a skill of our choice to whoever was interested. One kid showed a small group of us a bit of origami. That worked very well.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 7:47 am

Fenn wrote:
I think it is too easy to say IQ is meaningless.

Sorry. I didn't mean that high IQ or being smart is useless. I meant the Gifted education program was useless for my kids. It's not an educational stream that gets students anywhere at an advantage. They said they spent most of their time playing "Millie's Math House" which is a mathematics website with math games (today kids could do that on their own device in a regular class), or they did research projects ad nauseam.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 7:59 am

Fenn wrote:
I think it is too easy to say IQ is meaningless. For me, one way it matters is that it helps me to explain to my two sons who struggle with school that they are not “dumb” or “stupid”. In fact they have above average intelligence but also have specific areas of challenge. (One is diagnosed ADHD and the other ADHD and Autism). Both have IQ scores that put them easily in the Gifted program in the public school. I don’t want anyone telling them they have flaws but no strengths. It is all too easy for a kid to see himself as “all flaws”.

Here is a good article on IQ:

https://www.mensa.org/iq/what-iq

I wouldn't go so far as to call it meaningless. I just think it has some serious limitations and that the "horses for courses" approach better reflects reality. I was given a place at a grammar school on the strength of doing well in the 11-plus exam (which was pretty much an IQ test with some "general" knowledge thrown in), and floundered terribly for several years.

flat_affect
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2024, 8:59 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I agree. ^

My kids didn't gain much from it. In Primary they were withdrawn from their regular class to have an "enrichment" class once or twice a week. The focus was on doing open-ended research. They didn't find any of it particularly interesting and resented being singled out or removed from their peers. Maybe it's because they were autistic but they got really tired of everything being open-ended and self-directed. They just wanted to learn MORE of the regular curriculum in the normal ways.

Later they had the opportunity to attend full-time Gifted programs for middle school and high school. My son chose not to do either one. My daughter went to an Arts-based school instead of a Gifted school.

Apparently it's a trope now for their generation to feel disillusioned by all the grandeur their giftedness was supposed to impart. They're no different from anyone else and it turns out most of them were neurodivergent kids just wishing they could fit in, instead of being segregated or treated like they were special.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was referred to a school for gifted children, but my mother chose not to send me. Apparently, she was afraid that I wouldn't develop normally (oh, the irony). During the same conversation, I told my sister that I think I might be autistic. Her response was "I don't know why I didn't think of that." What did Mom have to say? Not a word.

I always wondered what it would have been like to attend that school, assuming it had to be better than the standard public school environment. Your comments, however, have caused me to question that assumption.