Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

PineappleLobster
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2024, 12:15 pm

I am a gifted child. I used to think that meant i was a prodigy, or that there was something in particular i was good at since birth. (I’ve always spoken in a peculiar way, using big words since i started speaking.)
Now i understand “giftedness” as someone with a higher intelligence than people who are not gifted. You see the world in a different way. You understand the world in a different way.

The American Heritage Dictionary of The English Language’s definition is:

Gifted(gǐf’tǐd) adj. 1. Endowed with natural ability, talent, or other assets: a gifted child. 2. Revealing talent: a gifted rendition of an aria.

What do YOU understand “Giftedness” as? What is it to you?

My pronouns are they/them and he/him

~~~~~~~~~~

Feel free to send me a PM! :)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 12:56 pm

It means that you think outside the box or solve problems in creative ways. Being neurodivergent could play a role since we tend to solve problems in "atypical" ways compared to NTs.

Being Gifted doesn't necessarily mean you have a Mensa brain or that you memorized lots of stuff.

Giftedness wasn't a thing when I was young so I don't know about myself.

Two of my kids were formally identified as Gifted by school testing. My son was so advanced in Kindergarten that he was given the test which was designed for fourth and fifth graders. He was off-the-charts with a high IQ but also out-of-the-box creative thinking in a number of ways (music, mathematics, art, languages, spatial thinking, prediction etc.) *He didn't go for ASD testing but we're confident he's HFA.

My daughter was ID as Gifted when she was in fifth grade. Her IQ isn't generally as high so I was kind of surprised at the time. She's smart, but not the type of "little professor" my son is. She doesn't know strings of information on any particular topic except for her special interests. Her reports said she was Gifted because of her creative thought alone. I'd have to look up the paperwork to see how it's all defined. *She was later diagnosed HFA and ADHD.

Technically then, my kids are twice exceptional. They have ASD and developmental disabilities but also Giftedness. In my daughter's case she also has some learning disabilities (dyscalculia being the most prominent).

Understanding the world in a different way, or "seeing things in ways that others don't", sounds like a good definition.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 1:36 pm

I don't really know what qualifies as "gifted" with respect to intelligence.

It is easier for me to think of someone as being "gifted" if they have some unusually strong talent.

However, if your IQ is in the top 2% of the general population then I hope you find your way into Mensa.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 2:30 pm

125-130 IQ +

utterly absurd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2024, 2:38 pm

I think that anyone can become good at anything if they work hard enough.
I think being gifted means that you have a higher intelligence, so many things are naturally easier for you.
Gifted people definitely see the world in a different way, although I'm not sure I can specify what that difference is, since I have no experience with not being gifted.
I think autistic people are more likely to be gifted. Possibly because we already see the world differently.
However, in my experience being gifted is seen as a positive thing in NTs, whereas if you're autistic it just adds to the perception of "weirdness". I often lie about my ACT score because if people see me as being "gifted", it distances me from them even more.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2024, 5:31 pm

An extreme positive outlier.
Whether or not it's measured by IQ test alone, yet at the same time not necessarily specialized (that's savantism).

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2024, 7:20 pm

There's some controversy as to whether it's even a good idea to label kids as "gifted." They become afraid to fail and it can stunt their academic growth, at least sometimes. It can also make other kids resent them. Apparently a classroom environment works best when it's focused on the growth of all students, even if some may not be able to achieve as highly as others. At least this is one point of view.

I was never labeled as gifted. I went to an Ivy League university where many students had an inflated sense of themselves and their importance, and were competitive, while at the same time being kind of clueless about things outside of academia. Many of them were the sort of kids who might have been labeled as gifted at some point. It didn't seem like a particularly healthy learning environment.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2024, 7:35 pm

I agree. ^

My kids didn't gain much from it. In Primary they were withdrawn from their regular class to have an "enrichment" class once or twice a week. The focus was on doing open-ended research. They didn't find any of it particularly interesting and resented being singled out or removed from their peers. Maybe it's because they were autistic but they got really tired of everything being open-ended and self-directed. They just wanted to learn MORE of the regular curriculum in the normal ways.

Later they had the opportunity to attend full-time Gifted programs for middle school and high school. My son chose not to do either one. My daughter went to an Arts-based school instead of a Gifted school.

Apparently it's a trope now for their generation to feel disillusioned by all the grandeur their giftedness was supposed to impart. They're no different from anyone else and it turns out most of them were neurodivergent kids just wishing they could fit in, instead of being segregated or treated like they were special.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2024, 7:48 pm

PineappleLobster wrote:
What do YOU understand “Giftedness” as? What is it to you?
I agree with the The Merriam-Webster Dictionary definition.

gifted (adj): (1) having great natural ability : talented; (2) revealing a special gift.

A person does not necessarily need high intelligence to be gifted/talented -- consider the "Savants" who allegedly have the intellect of two-year olds, but who can also play the piano, repair automobiles, or paint like trained experts.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2024, 11:22 pm

I'm more or less OK with the dictionary definition but I'd lean more towards it being an uncommonly high aptitude for a specific subject or field of endeavour. Sometimes you get people who have that in a number of subjects, but I'm wary of labelling a person as gifted in everything, and I don't really believe in IQ.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 1:05 am

Quote:
I repeat: the actual concept of 'general intelligence' of general intelligence (hence IQ) begins to break-down from around two standard deviations above average - in the top couple of percent of the population.

From around and above this point, therefore, ultra-high cognitive abilities tend to be specialized and found in isolation.

This may well explain the reason why super-intelligent individuals such as William Shockley and Richard Feynman were seemingly not picked-out by childhood intelligence tests.

Of course there are the possibilities of random measurement errors, under-performance due to illness and other factors, and ceiling effects - but most probably some super-intelligent people are super-intelligent in only limited domains, and their modest performance in other domains drags-down their average IQ score.

http://charltonteaching.blogspot.com/20 ... gh-iq.html

IMO a range ,120-130 for example, is better than a single score of 125. High range tests created by highly skilled non psychometricians/psychologists are intended to measure intelligence above that 2 SD level. The tests themselves can be good, but the norming of such tests not so good. That's because of the amount of people taking such a test, and the fact that those tests are taken by a much narrower range of people intelligence wise than with a professional ,proctored,IQ test. What can be said, putting norms to one side, is that an averagely intelligent person will struggle to get many questions right when trying such high range tests.

Some psychometricians do make non proctored tests for use by those interested in such tests. I do OK on such tests.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 1:20 am

Quote:
The Canadian Cognitive Abilities Test (CCAT) is a reasoning assessment used to determine a student's eligibility for admissions into Gifted and talented programs. It is a group-administered intelligence test given in Canada to students in grades K-12. The CCAT 7 measures verbal, nonverbal, and quantitative reasoning.

The Gifted assessment itself usually takes about three hours to complete and involves tests of cognitive ability – such as the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children, Fifth Edition (WISC-V) and the CCAT – or another similar test that is deemed appropriate.

Giftedness refers to an unusually advanced degree of general intellectual ability that requires differentiated learning experiences of a depth and breadth beyond those normally provided.

Although IQ represents only a partial expression of giftedness, according to a purely psychometric view, giftedness is defined by an IQ of 130 or higher, placing gifted individuals at least two standard deviations above the population mean.

The five domains of giftedness are intellectual, academic, creative, leadership, and visual/performing arts. While students can show advanced skills in multiple domains, sometimes they only excel in one and may even fall behind in others.

Here's what I'm finding from a Google search of the definition for educational programming. I've yet to dig up my kids' IEPs but I'll try to find them out of curiosity. Perhaps it's defined differently depending where you go to school or get assessed.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 1:27 am

Here's an interesting link about the CCAT.

https://www.testingmom.com/tests/ccat-test/

JamesW
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Apr 2024, 6:04 am

bee33 wrote:
There's some controversy as to whether it's even a good idea to label kids as "gifted." They become afraid to fail and it can stunt their academic growth, at least sometimes. It can also make other kids resent them. Apparently a classroom environment works best when it's focused on the growth of all students, even if some may not be able to achieve as highly as others. At least this is one point of view.

I was never labeled as gifted. I went to an Ivy League university where many students had an inflated sense of themselves and their importance, and were competitive, while at the same time being kind of clueless about things outside of academia. Many of them were the sort of kids who might have been labeled as gifted at some point. It didn't seem like a particularly healthy learning environment.

Speaking only from my own experience, frankly I would like to see the label 'gifted' struck from the language so that it isn't used to deny kids a normal childhood.

There is a God.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 9:26 am

JamesW wrote:
Speaking only from my own experience, frankly I would like to see the label 'gifted' struck from the language so that it isn't used to deny kids a normal childhood.

I kind of agree. Society seems obsessed with sucking all the benefit it can get out of kids with abilities, and with peddling the idea that everybody should be "maximising the realisation of their potential," and the well-being of the kids is given too low a priority.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-akqyDx_z_4

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 1:19 pm

I wouldn't say I'm gifted but I reckon I'm quite good with people. I can easily know a person without really trying.

I try and put this to good use and to help people because I think that's the right thing to do