naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2024, 6:29 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Jakki wrote:
MaxE wrote:
As I understand it, this is a resolution. There's no new law being enacted. I don't think it matters whether or not the President signs it. How I interpret it, is that Congress had agreed that calling for the destruction of Israel, just like calling for the destruction of any sovereign state based on ethnicity, religion, etc., is racist, and I happen to agree with it, as it would seem do most Members of Congress on both sides of the aisle. I believe its purpose is to guide discourse on the floor of Congress going forward. Level-setting as it were. Too bad if it gives some self-righteous people the heebie-jeebies.

{{{{{{ HEEBEE .....JEEBEEEZZ}}}}}}

Thought it was going to be Law ... :wtg: >>>>>>>> :roll:

Well I checked, and it apparently "codif(ies) the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance’s definition of antisemitism in Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964".

So it's more than just a resolution, however I don't see how anybody could be adversely affected in their personal life, although I suppose if somebody is publicly calling for the literal destruction of the State of Israel, then this might put them in greater legal jeopardy, if somebody with any influence in the community objects.

I'm pretty sure that calling for the literal destruction of any state (including the US itself) is protected speech.

https://youtu.be/bBow1ToJBFE

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2024, 8:06 pm

MaxE wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Jakki wrote:
MaxE wrote:
As I understand it, this is a resolution. There's no new law being enacted. I don't think it matters whether or not the President signs it. How I interpret it, is that Congress had agreed that calling for the destruction of Israel, just like calling for the destruction of any sovereign state based on ethnicity, religion, etc., is racist, and I happen to agree with it, as it would seem do most Members of Congress on both sides of the aisle. I believe its purpose is to guide discourse on the floor of Congress going forward. Level-setting as it were. Too bad if it gives some self-righteous people the heebie-jeebies.

{{{{{{ HEEBEE .....JEEBEEEZZ}}}}}}

Thought it was going to be Law ... :wtg: >>>>>>>> :roll:

Well I checked, and it apparently "codif(ies) the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance’s definition of antisemitism in Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964".

So it's more than just a resolution, however I don't see how anybody could be adversely affected in their personal life, although I suppose if somebody is publicly calling for the literal destruction of the State of Israel, then this might put them in greater legal jeopardy, if somebody with any influence in the community objects.

I'm pretty sure that calling for the literal destruction of any state (including the US itself) is protected speech.

In the US, a person seriously calling for the destruction of the US, whatever they mean by that, would be considered a seriously deranged person and would get plenty of attention from authorities. I don't think that, by itself, would get them locked up, but I wouldn't test it. Calling for the destruction of (for example) Albania, with the implied message that Albanians would be decimated and/or left stateless, would be considered quite boorish to most people. Even worse if you were to seriously suggest they deserve it. This resolution simply applies the same principle to Israel.

Ironic to suggest there's something sketchy about accepting the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance's definition of Antisemitism. To me that's equivalent to having problems with the NAACP's definition of racism.

It seems to me like you're assuming calling for the destruction of an ethno-state that engages in apartheid means desiring for the destruction of it's citizens, rather than them being expected to participate in the non-ethnically defined successor state.

It's neither a fair nor reasonable assumption, but it's a required assumption in order to make your position even somewhat coherent.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 11:47 am

Calling for the destruction of Israel is not calling for the expulsion or murder of Jews living in Israel. It is calling for the dismantling of the state of Israel as a political entity and integrating it as part of a single state where Jews and everyone else are equal.

I call for the destruction of the state of Israel much the same way I might have called for the destruction of the Orange Free State or Southern Rhodesia or South Vietnam. They were structurally repressive political entities that the world is better off without.

The dismantling of the Israeli state will inevitably result in many Israeli Jews leaving for much the same reason many white South Africans left that country after apartheid ended: because they can't of stand the thought of living in a country where people who aren't their ethnicity/religion have equal rights as them. Because Zionists want nothing but supremacy and submission from their perceieved racial inferiors. But when they leave of their own choice--that is on them--they deserve no pity. The Holy Land has had more than enough crusader states and other religious-supremacist regimes.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides