Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2024, 6:01 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/01/us/united-methodist-church-lgbtq-clergy-reaj

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2024, 8:31 pm

Wait - I thought that the United Methodist church was conservative and that caused the split to begin with? I'm confused. Haven't been watching it closely enough to understand all of the details I guess.

My parents and I were a member of a Methodist church back in my teens, but my mom decided to leave the church back in the mid-late 2000s because she wasn't comfortable with how anti-LGBT it was. Okay, funny (not really) story about that: She wasn't supportive of me back at the time and I had no clue that's why we left the church. I was just happy because I wasn't a believer anymore and didn't want to be forced to go to church anymore.

Also, I didn't know back then that the church was anti-LGBT. I guess my ADHD brain keeping me in lala land so much of the time, especially in excruciatingly boring and long events like church services prevented me from taking that in.

My parents are still believers, I'm sure they'll be happy to find this out. But as for me, not only am I not a believer anymore, but also I'm not impressed much by organizations that have to reach points of calamity (the split in this case, I suppose) to make obvious social progression. I'm just glad that discrimination will lessen in the denomination for those who are still a part of it for whatever reason.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 10:49 pm

Harmonie wrote:
Wait - I thought that the United Methodist church was conservative and that caused the split to begin with? I'm confused. Haven't been watching it closely enough to understand all of the details I guess.

My parents and I were a member of a Methodist church back in my teens, but my mom decided to leave the church back in the mid-late 2000s because she wasn't comfortable with how anti-LGBT it was. Okay, funny (not really) story about that: She wasn't supportive of me back at the time and I had no clue that's why we left the church. I was just happy because I wasn't a believer anymore and didn't want to be forced to go to church anymore.

Also, I didn't know back then that the church was anti-LGBT. I guess my ADHD brain keeping me in lala land so much of the time, especially in excruciatingly boring and long events like church services prevented me from taking that in.

My parents are still believers, I'm sure they'll be happy to find this out. But as for me, not only am I not a believer anymore, but also I'm not impressed much by organizations that have to reach points of calamity (the split in this case, I suppose) to make obvious social progression. I'm just glad that discrimination will lessen in the denomination for those who are still a part of it for whatever reason.

The United Methodist Church has been fairly liberal and left wing since at least the 1950's because thats when they started ordaining women as pastors.This is just another issue they are taking a left-turn on.