Does Aspergers/HFA cause behavior problems?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Dbz33
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2024, 3:17 am

Conditions like fatal alcohol can cause pretty serious behavior problems, does aspergers cause behavior issues also? And how severe?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 6:12 am

What do you mean when you say behavior problems?

Wreck It Ralph

Dbz33
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2024, 1:27 pm

In school or work

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 3:18 pm

Considering that both fall under the umbrella of 'autistic spectrum disorder' and autistic spectrum disorder being a neurodevelopmental disorder... I think it is fair to say that behavioural problems in general can be caused by the different forms of autism.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 5:45 pm

Dbz33 wrote:
In school or work

Are you talking about specific behaviors? Are you talking about meltdowns or shutdowns or stimming? Are you talking about aggression? I am trying to understand what you are actually referring to when you say behavior problems.

Wreck It Ralph

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 10:18 pm

Maybe they mean criminally violent behavior. Because we're supposed to lack empathy and other nonsense.

Of course, our behavior can be deeply disturbing and humiliating to other people, such as watching anime or taking mechanical pencils apart and then putting them back together. :roll:

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 8:06 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Maybe they mean criminally violent behavior. Because we're supposed to lack empathy and other nonsense.

Of course, our behavior can be deeply disturbing and humiliating to other people, such as watching anime or taking mechanical pencils apart and then putting them back together. :roll:
I know right, people say that pretty much anytime I open my mouth and ask for help, I am attacking or harassing them. My neighbor used my trash bin and used and broke all three of my recycling bins without my permission. When she used my trash bin, she returned it full and filthy. When I asked her to empty it and clean it, she said that I attacked her and harassed her.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 11:10 am

I just got a fine from the city for my neighbor putting her trash on my lawn too early. You are not allowed to put trash out for pickup before 5pm the night before pickup. I called her and told her about this. She said she will take care of it but she was pissed.

I have a really hard time when people do things to me and then I get consequences for their actions. But if I show any kind of annoyance I get told that I am a bully to them and that I am attacking and harassing them.

This is why I hate the term behavioral issues. I don't have behavioral issues but everything I do is treated as if it were a behavioral issue. Any behavior issue I display is a reaction to either overstimulation or from being abused and mistreated. And my reactions are incredibly benign. I will sometimes have loud screaming meltdowns and I will headbang, and even sometimes self harm but I do not even have the capability to hurt or attack other people even if I would want to. So if you look at a meltdown or a self harm act in isolation, you can say that is a behavioral issue. But if you look at the abuse that was done to me right beforehand, no one in their right mind would say that I was having a behavioral issue especially considering that non Autistic people would be perfectly justified in actually retaliating if they had been similarly abused and everyone would think they were right in doing so. But because I don't retaliate but internalize instead, I get told I have behavioral issues and I get pathologized for that. Then they expect me to get therapy so that I don't look upset when I am abused.

UPDATE:
She just called and told me that she went to city hall and paid the fine and got new bins. I am very grateful.

But the bottom line is this: She accused me of attacking and harassing her when I asked her to not use my property for her trash. We did talk about it but I ended up being the one who had to apologize to her for "making her feel attacked." She never apologized to me for anything. Because I am Autistic, the people I told this story to automatically blamed me for making a mountain of a molehill and for making her feel attacked. The reality of the situation is that I did not MAKE her feel anything. She only felt attacked because of her own sense of entitlement and her bruised ego, but none of that matters. I am automatically blamed for being the bully in the situation no matter what the actual truth is. This is why anything labelled as a behavioral issue in Autism needs to be carefully examined. Is the person having a behavioral issue because of something in his own character that is causing him to act out in an inappropriate fashion? Or is he reacting in a perfectly appropriate and reasonable fashion to a stimuli or an abusive situation but because his neurological system reacts differently, it looks unusual? The first is a behavioral issue, the second is an normal, appropriate, and justifiable response for someone who lives under the conditions that we do and whose neurology responds differently.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 12:58 pm

I recently read an article about a little Autistic boy, I don't remember his age, he might have been 11 or younger. He was getting bullied at school. Another little boy, an nt kid, kept writing on him with a marker. The Autistic boy kept telling the bully to stop but he refused. The teachers saw all of this and did nothing and just chalked it up to boys will be boys. Finally the Autistic boy had enough and poked the nt kid with a pencil. He wasn't hurt at all. But the teachers immediately sent him to the principal where the the police were called. He was arrested and taken to juvenile jail for aggravated assault and behavioral issues. Eventually the charges were dropped but as far as I know, from when I read the article, the Autistic boy never spoke again.

Autistic youtuber, Orion Kelly, talked about his Autistic little boy's experiences in school as well. When his little boy gets bullied by nt kids, it's just kids being kids. But as soon as his kid reacts in an Autistic fashion, all of a sudden his kid is labelled as some kind of monster with serious behavioral issues because he is Autistic and disciplinary action is immediately taken. So this is why I ask what you mean when you ask about behavioral issues because as far as I am concerned, most Autistic people don't actually have behavioral issues.

Wreck It Ralph

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 4:05 pm

My understanding is that Aspergers probably doesn't cause behavior problems...

but how people treat you because you are an Aspie can eventually cause behavior problems.

(Eventually you get tired of being bullied or shunned or dismissed as weird or putting up with things that make no sense...)

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 8:35 pm

Double Retired wrote:
My understanding is that Aspergers probably doesn't cause behavior problems...

but how people treat you because you are an Aspie can eventually cause behavior problems.

(Eventually you get tired of being bullied or shunned or dismissed as weird or putting up with things that make no sense...)

I agree

Wreck It Ralph