Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Plutonian_Persona
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2007, 1:49 pm

Does anyone else have a preference for minor keys in classical music? I listen to minor keyed works almost exclusively, with my favorite being Chopin's E Minor Nocturne, Op. 72, #1.

Spaceplayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2007, 1:56 pm

Yes, starting with Moonlight Sonata. Anton Lavey put forth a theory that minor key music provokes thought, due to the unresolved nature of it, whereas major key music simply wants you to react. Personally, I like my music to have a mix of moods.

kindofbluenote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Sep 2007, 2:12 pm

It's dependant on mood. Plus, there's some composers who modulate so frequently that it's tough to consider the piece to be in one constant key.

A good example of the difference in keys is Bach (when is he not a good example?) Major key Bach is almost always uplifting, while minor key Bach is often very intense and almost angry. He modulates a lot also, but manages to keep the same feel throughout.

KindofBlue
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Sep 2007, 11:16 pm

Never thought of it. I'll have to do a comparison to find out. Right now, I am listening to Schumann's cello concerto in A minor, and thoroughly enjoying it.

Tchaikovsky's Symphony in B minor 'Pathetique' , is one of the all time greatest compositions. Actually, his other two good symphonies, Nos. 4 and 5 are also in minor keys. Nevertheless, his violin concerto, my favorite violin concerto of all time is D major.

My favorite Mozart symphony, No. 40 is in G minor.

I wonder if jazz is mostly in minor keys. I love jazz.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 1:00 am

I really like Minor keys. Once I learned a bit about their nature, using a Major Dominant Chord... I've all but given up on making Major Key music. Though I should really go back to major... I need to spread my experimental Pop wings...

The fully diminished leading tone is a powerful sound...

Minor also seems to give you a bit more freedom, when the general music is a bit dour... more dissonance is welcome.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 4:39 am

Hell, I couldn't even tell you the difference between minor and major keys.

Plutonian_Persona
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2007, 9:35 am

KindofBlue wrote:
Never thought of it. I'll have to do a comparison to find out. Right now, I am listening to Schumann's cello concerto in A minor, and thoroughly enjoying it.

Tchaikovsky's Symphony in B minor 'Pathetique' , is one of the all time greatest compositions. Actually, his other two good symphonies, Nos. 4 and 5 are also in minor keys. Nevertheless, his violin concerto, my favorite violin concerto of all time is D major.

I love all of those pieces, especially the Tchaikovsky, which I was listening to yesterday along with the Mozart! As for jazz, I know that some compositions are in minor keys, but I was in Jazz Band in high school and most of the pieces we played were in major keys.

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2007, 9:47 am

I love most things in minor keys. I just love the sound of it. Yes, i like music in the major keys, but i prefer playing and listening to things in minor keys.

dddhgg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 3:50 pm

kindofbluenote wrote:

A good example of the difference in keys is Bach (when is he not a good example?)

Of bad music. :D Bach didn't write a single note that I find awful. Mozart did so, though. Haydn even more so.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 11:31 pm

I have a preference for minor keys, but I don't like classical music.

electrorganique
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Oct 2007, 10:09 pm

absolutely do! specially D minor and C# minor
i also like some major keys like Eb major

crazyllama
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2007, 6:45 pm

KindofBlue wrote:

I'm a huge Jazz fan as well, and most modern jazz relies heavily on the blues which are almost all in minor keys.

Nice Kind of Blue cover btw ;)