Page 5 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Do you tell people that you have asperger?
yes 48%  48%  [ 78 ]
no 52%  52%  [ 86 ]
Total votes : 164

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 1:13 am

I will tell my close friends after I've known them for a while, only if I feel it's necessary. At school, I've told my roommates and like 3 of my other friends. I would like to tell a few other close friends soon. I think it's good that they know, but most people don't need to know.

I think part of the reason that I don't tell everybody is that I'm not ashamed of it anymore, but I don't want to be labeled by my disability, I want to be known for who I am, and my Asperger's is only a part of that. Who else feels the same?

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 1:26 am

Anybody I have told, said Ass Burgers, I have given up on trying to explain what it is

SierraBell
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2008, 12:51 am

I'm not even sure if I have AS or not :lol:

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 8:25 am

I did tell it my n´mother, my best friend and the person who is in charge of the part of the college, I belong to (Fachbereitsleiter) - and only to him because he realized that I was different and always avoided group-work like the plague. These people did understand it - I fear many people wouldn't since here in Germany, it's virtually unknown

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

svend_sved
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2008, 3:28 pm

i do when people ask or if it comes up. most people dont ask, thought, they jsut see me as nerdy :P

MCRSlipKnoTA7X
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Apr 2008, 7:28 pm

I do not tell people I have autism because I hate sympathy. All my friends from school, except a few told me they were sorry. I thought, what is there to be sorry about? I do not mind having autism. People even though they had known me for a long time, started to treat me different after I told them. But they also said they would of never thought I had autism and they thought I was kidding! lol I do not really like having friends, so it really did not bother me. I rather have my dogs for friends! lol

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 7:31 pm

LadyMahler wrote:
Quote:
...being a jerk

I hate feeling like that. :( But I do, all the time. And I'm not a jerk.

Damn.

People are like "You have to be considerate of other people" And I'm like "I can't"

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 5:31 am

Nah I haven't told anybody but then again I've only know i've had aspergers for like 6 months.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 7:32 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
do you really think they don't notice you are all ASD unless you tell them?
They know SOMETHING'S up, surely!

Proud to be known as the weird guy in school (Voted 'most unique' for senior class of 2008).

But yes they know I'm weird but don't know I'm autistic. Only 2-3 people know that, when I told them.

POKEMONMASTER260
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Apr 2008, 10:39 am

I tell, like everyone, except internet users who aren't Wrong Planet users.

NoOnesBoy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2008, 5:30 pm

I don't say anything about falling on the autism spectrum unless the other person has it too :oP. This is because I hate labels, and don't want to people to treat me differently (and holy crap, some of them DO treat me differently if I say anything about my labels) and also because I'm not sure they would believe me unless they knew me well and saw me in a normal not-in-public(read "school" or "work")-keeping-up-appearances situation and heard my life story. It's hard for people to understand a lot of it. It seems to me that a lot of otherwise nice people think folk on the autism spectrum are less intelligent than everyone else, or that there is a single model version of what ASDs look like, or that to have an ASD that means that regardless of what issues or differences you have the one thing that's always the same is that you can't or won't talk and have no interest in other people. Stupid generalizations. But I'm happy not telling people usually, since I figure I'm just me, like everybody else and my labels SHOULDN'T matter.

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2008, 7:25 pm

Wow, that was closer than I thought.
I thought it would look like this:
Yes:||||||||
No:|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Poeticromance
Toucan
Toucan

20 Apr 2008, 8:42 pm

I only tell my family and a few close friends. People in my school do not know what AS is nor much of autism. So people in my school just think I am some spazzy as*hole who is too scared to talk to new people.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 3:06 am

Yes.

Most people I have a lot to do with know. I decided that they could then decide if they wanted to keep in touch with me or not. I would rather have friends that accept me as I am than pretend friends.

I suppose at my age its easier, most friends I have had for many years and a couple all my life so they are used to my different way of thinking at times.

Nintenderek17
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Apr 2008, 8:23 am

I tell close friends and relatives and when I date a girl I'll tell her. Sometimes when I stim during class I'll tell people why and what I'm doing, and sometimes they understand, while other times they don't. I use to not tell anyone at all, except my relatives who already knew from my mom. That was a big mistake though and I lost a whole bunch of friends because of it.

Swedishaspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Apr 2008, 7:53 am

.I do tell people that I have AS, and I have found that they do not treat me differently.

One thing that I do have a problem with and that's explaining what AS is because it's so different for everyone. My problem is often social situations but I am getting better at that, with loads of help from those around school and me.

One thing about AS: If you never talk about it will never become "normal" and the bigots and bullies will never learn to understand. I think that they say and do because they fear the unknown and because of that knowledge is power.