Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

devster21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2007, 6:05 pm

Does anyone here use a scooter or moped regularly to get around? Tell me your experiences and how you like it.

I'm looking to maybe buy one. It seems like it would be a nice way to save money, put less miles on my car, and help the environment.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 6:33 pm

Have terrible phobia of them. Was in accident when I was very young. I hate being on a movig vessel where i am not using my feet to propel it. I feel out of control...(but i also don't drive)

My dad had one...he loved it...

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Oct 2007, 8:09 pm

Back in the eighties I had a 50cc moped and then a 250 Honda Helix.
The Helix could almost do 80MPH.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 8:30 pm

Dont know about helping the enviouroment, most of them are two stroke you know, burning all that oil.
Never mind the noise pollution, EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I much prefer a bike that goes Duff......Duff......Duff.......Duff.......Duff (etc)

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 8:39 pm

I was looking to save money somehow, and thought about getting a Honda Helix or similar scooter.

The only problem is that they are considerd a motorcycle by law and I would need to get a motorcycle liscense to get one.

Maybe in the future, or just get a small scooter.

I really don't like having to drive my car everywhere... and my city isn't really pedestrian friendly...

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

devster21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2007, 9:22 pm

Nambo wrote:
Dont know about helping the enviouroment, most of them are two stroke you know, burning all that oil.
Never mind the noise pollution, EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I much prefer a bike that goes Duff......Duff......Duff.......Duff.......Duff (etc)

I'd get a 4 stroke, and it would certainly be cleaner than my current car.

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 12:50 am

I ride a scooter to work almost everyday, rain or shine, and have for decades. It's BIG fun, but...

Being on two wheels in between the cars is incredibly dangerous. You will almost certainly have an accident someday; just a question of when, and how severe. And consider: folks in cars are surrounded by 2,000 pounds of metal. You're completely unprotected. A fender-bender in a car is a minor nuisance, whereas a minor accident on a scoot could mean months in the hospital or death.

Just so you can make an informed decision...

whiteskunk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 3:19 am

I would but given the extra pounds. I might cause structural damage.

Coyote27
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2007, 4:39 am

Vespas are awesome.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 7:53 am

I once saw a beautiful working red vintage vespa at a garage sale and the owner wanted just 250 bucks. It was tempting...

I know one aspie (or I have always assumed he was an aspie)....who uses a scooter as his sole source of transportation.

I always feel sorry for him when it rains.

devster21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2007, 11:48 am

Heres the one i'm thinking about. Scoot magazine gave it a great review and i'm impressed with the 9 gallon storage. Being 6'4" it was hard to find a scooter that i fit comfortably on, but this one seems pretty good. My local dealer has good deals on the '07s right now too. Maybe because its fall.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/produ ... /home.aspx

Deefor4
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2007, 1:56 am

Nambo wrote:

And this week's award for most onomatopaeic post goes to...

:wink:

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 11:50 pm

The best and safest in the scooter class is the BMW C1. It gives protection from the weather, and traffic.

They also look cool.

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 10:46 pm

If you want a scooter that's a bit more environmentally friendly, and does not create as much noise pollution either, you can select a 4-cycle model, or even better yet, get an ELECTRIC scooter. They are moving out of the realm of kid's toys and into serious transportation machines lately. They are almost perfectly silent, and a few can travel almost 40 miles or so on a charge.

devster21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2007, 7:22 am

Inventor wrote:
The best and safest in the scooter class is the BMW C1. It gives protection from the weather, and traffic.

They also look cool.

The C1 is awesome although a bit pricey and technically not a scooter. I like the design a whole bunch too.

AV-geek wrote:
If you want a scooter that's a bit more environmentally friendly, and does not create as much noise pollution either, you can select a 4-cycle model, or even better yet, get an ELECTRIC scooter. They are moving out of the realm of kid's toys and into serious transportation machines lately. They are almost perfectly silent, and a few can travel almost 40 miles or so on a charge.

The one i'm interested in is a 4-stroke, and gets about 120mpg. As much as I love being more efficient I don't think I could get myself to buy an electric scooter.

DavidC
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Feb 2018, 10:35 pm

Hi folks,

I have been riding scooters for 12 years, and encountering a problem.
I'm riding the scooter much less after getting hit by a car in a parking lot over a year ago.

My riding is limited to around the neighborhood, as I build confidence back up.
Used to ride to work everyday until I got a new job too far away.

I miss the freedom so much I get jealous enogh at the sight of another scoot to the point of anxiety.
Can you help?