Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

mattw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2007, 5:47 pm

Does anyone else on here wear Visual Dyslexia Glasses?

I found out about them around a year ago and have owned some now for around 6 months.

They are made with different colour lenses to help different things - they can either have perscription in them or not (Mine havent)

Mine are a dark red colour (which aparently is the colour associated with autism) and they help me with things such as co-ordination, reading (mainly projector screens at school) and many other things.

I never used to be able to stand on one leg but when i got the glasses and put them on i was able to do it straight away! the same went for walking in a straight line - i can now do this no problems and no longer bump into people when i am outside.

They are still only available at limited opticians and are quite expensive. You dont have to be dyslexic to need them (im not dyslexic) they are also for Autistic spectrum disorders.

some of you may also notice lights flikering constantly and words moving around on a page or merging together - they also really help with that.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

12 Oct 2007, 8:02 am

mattw wrote:

I found out about them around a year ago and have owned some now for around 6 months.

They are made with different colour lenses to help different things - they can either have perscription in them or not (Mine havent)

Mine are a dark red colour (which aparently is the colour associated with autism) and they help me with things such as co-ordination, reading (mainly projector screens at school) and many other things.

I never used to be able to stand on one leg but when i got the glasses and put them on i was able to do it straight away! the same went for walking in a straight line - i can now do this no problems and no longer bump into people when i am outside.

They are still only available at limited opticians and are quite expensive. You dont have to be dyslexic to need them (im not dyslexic) they are also for Autistic spectrum disorders.

some of you may also notice lights flikering constantly and words moving around on a page or merging together - they also really help with that.

No I don't wear them...

But now that you mention them I might have to get myself a pair.

mattw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Oct 2007, 2:28 pm

Brittany2907 wrote:
mattw wrote:

No I don't wear them...

But now that you mention them I might have to get myself a pair.

its not just the case of going and getting yourself a pair ...

you will have to go and see your local optician who should be able to provide you with an optician who do these glasses (As currently they are not very wide spread) Then you need to do a few tests (Take about 15 - 20 mins) to see which colour lenses you need etc.

MATTW

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2007, 7:49 am

Anyone know

if you can get clip on "coloured glass" clip ons????

yea interesting eh. mm.. One colour per day. colour ala BONO comes to mind :D

cheers have googled a bit but found nothing. :( there are also coloured overlays did you try those?

what was involved in testing for glasses? Ive got my appointment booked (earliest I could get) December :(

mattw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Oct 2007, 6:59 pm

Not so sure about the clip on coloured glass ... ive deffinetly not seen them before anyway.

And i have to admit google are very weak on this subject ... probably why they are not known about so much and only limited opticians do them.

This link may help you. its the opticians i got mine from (thankfully its local to where i live)
http://www.parkhurstopticians.com/visual-dyslexia.htm

the "red" colour is associated with autism from what i was told and it was the colour i got. And having a different colour for every day of the week isnt a good idea as some of the colours make it much harder to read and stuff like that.

The tests basically include the optician doing a basic eye test (As if you were to get a normal pair of glasses) reading the letters with the Big "A" at the top and the really small letters at the bottom.

They then give you a piece of paper with lots of lines and circles on them and ask you to look at it (from my eyes it looked as if it was all blurded together) then the optician put different coloured lenses infront of my eyes to see which one removed the blur.

He then did the same with a short piece of writing - asked me to read it and then put different colours infront of my eyes to see which one worked the best for them. Again, it was the dark red colour.

The best part of it for me then was standing on one leg! - something i have never been able to do. i put the colours infront of my eyes and as if by magic i could balance on one leg! I then tried walking in a straight linne which i have never ever been able to do ... and suprise suprise ... i didnt bump into anything and kept in a more a less straight line.

I have recently started back at 6th Form (i was home educated from Year 9 due to problems at school), im really enjoying it at the school im going to and it has a special autistic unit in it where i spend a lot of time. The glasses really help me in school - i dont bump into people any more when walking down the corridors and find it musch easier to see the white / black boards (or are they now interactive board / chalk board) to avoid sounding racist.

It has lead to a number of comments from students lower down in the school "what you got sun glasses on for" "suns gone in now mate" and then someone who thought i was blind. However people who can see they are not sunglasses understand what they are and after i showed them what they do for me they said they were amazing!

HTH, if you need anything else ask me.

kiwi wrote:
Anyone know

if you can get clip on "coloured glass" clip ons????

yea interesting eh. mm.. One colour per day. colour ala BONO comes to mind :D

cheers have googled a bit but found nothing. :( there are also coloured overlays did you try those?

what was involved in testing for glasses? Ive got my appointment booked (earliest I could get) December :(

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2007, 7:47 pm

Cheers mate!!

yea sounds interesting lol... Yea red eh... Same colour used in the dark room (photography etc)

mm... well yea I spose it will definitely change your world eh. Everything has red tinge??

mm.... I thought about using other colours as fashion statement lol but yea I guess the red ones would probably suit me too...

How big are your frames? You dont have prescriptions in them aye so... Does it cost more to do so?

Cheers

Yea I found some good websites a while ago but nothing on "clipons" lol. thought it could be good...
Did you try using coloured overlays?

I used this site to ask some questions as well www.asplanet.info in the forums COLOURED Glasses what the??
ha yea thanks

hayesatlbch
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Oct 2007, 8:35 am

There are visual dyslexia glasses that don't require an examination and are available online. :D

http://www.dyslexiaglasses.com

The glasses have a moneyback guarantee which is unusual for any dyslexia product.

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Oct 2007, 4:07 pm

Yea I'm thinking about getting urlin ones eh :P

they good...? how does online ones compare to.... the shop ones by optomitrist.?

:D